What if Conan leaves d20 for anotehr system?

What will you do if Conan leaves d20 for another system?

• I will buy the new Conan books, whatever the system.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will never buy the Conan books in the new system.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bygoneyrs said:
You know what is so sad about D&D, it seems to have lost it's roleplaying for mechanics and extreme defining of this or that to make it look real. having RPG'd now for 32+ yrs, AD&D was awesome game, and the best was D&D v2.5. Now D&D v3.5 d20 is still ok but that started to become too heavy with rules to define anything and everything. Now with D&D v4 that has gone even farther away from it's roots and I have had enough of that game system. I might buy 4e resouce books, but I will never GM D&D 4e. If Conan goes the 4e way, I will be sadly disapointed but might still buy some books as resource mining material.

Oh brother. :roll: It amazes me that so many people knock D&D (especially 4e) complaining about rules for the tactics and no rules for role-play. With 32+ years of gaming experience do you need rules for role-play? I played in a 4e game (Keep on the Shadowfell) and we had an entire session of role-play. That's right, 6 hours of no combat using the latest rules of D&D. You people love to fault the system but you ought to look at yourselves first. You bring the role to life not the game books.

As to those cumbersome rules you dislike so much, 4e actually scaled them back quite a bit from 3.5. Fewer skills and feats to keep track of. Keep in mind that D&D was inspired by a WARGAME. Tactics have always been an important part of it, even if you don't like using minis.

Hey there Flatscan....

I'll put my 32+ yrs of RPG against your experience any day....

AD&D was the BEST set of real RPG rules they ever had, only followed by D&D 2.5 next. My campaign has lasted for over 25 yrs, and has run on role playing as the focus. As a example of my DMing style, the highest level any player ever reached in my game was a 12th level Knight (Fighter with a Code of Honor). Real roleplaying and that took that player over 5 yrs on playing every other week. No Montie Hall crap in any of my games. Folks actually earned their exps through actions and roleplaying.

It would seem to me that D&D v3, v3.5, and now v4 are too bogged down with to many rules. What ever happen to using ones minds and enjoying the experience of the game play. It is Fantasy afterall, and your their to have fun in the process, not see how many rules one can use, bend, mini-max, to beat the bad guy. What ever happened to "Out Thinking ' the bag guy, and maybe out maneuver a enemy. No the current common player base is to interested in killing this or that, applying rules to help them think, and forgetting the RPGing all together.

I am a Role Player first, and for me all WOC are doing is just trying to rehash the same stuff and make more money with v4 D&D. Lets get those fools to buy everything again, and make even more money! That is what WOC is all about, to heck with the game or their fans...it's all about getting you to spend your money on their product again and again and again. So how long will it be before we see D&D v4.5 come out next, so you can by all the core books AGAIN.

D&D has lost a long time fan, and I am not the only one either. Many of the old guard (Die Hard folks with the extra CASH to spend on the hobby) are totally fed up and turning to 'other' systems instead. Maybe it is time for WOC and D&D to die. All things do in time!!!

Penn

How does 4th ed. D&D stop you out-thinking your enemies?

Personally I thought AD&D was pretty poor - hence my preference for the original Runequest back in the old(ish) days (I have a mere 20 years roleplaying experience having had a 10 year lay off). AD&D was, in my view an ever expanding monster full of counter intuitive processes (stuff like grappling using entirely different mechanics to other combat) narrow and constraining character classes.

I'm not trying to pick a fight and I've very little interest in ever playing 4th ed. D&D myself. I just don't think the rules can inhibit roleplaying as much as people make out. Although no rules are perfect and some are very bad from a mechanical point of view (original Traveller for instance - grrreeuuuccchhh!!) mostly people, including myself, just dislike some systems - they don't inhibit roleplaying, we just don't like 'em.

Demetrio said:
How does 4th ed. D&D stop you out-thinking your enemies?

It doesn't. But when PCs want to wrestle an opponent to the ground there are rules in place to make it fair. I'm not really sure what Bygoneyrs and those like him are actually on about. 2nd edition AD&D had a metric ton of supplements come out, yet it's a new thing that D&D is about making money? :roll:

As to using our minds to RP, it's still happening with 3.5 and 4e. The most venerable player in my Conan game is 51 and he, like Bygoneyrs, came from the old guard of D&D. He loves Feats and skills. It allows his character to be mechanically different from the other 7th level Barbarian/Soldier in the group. BTW Bygoneyrs, it took the party in my Conan game 3 years to hit 7th level and we game every other Saturday. There's nothing in 3.5, 4e, or Conan that keeps players from getting what they want out of the game. Some people are resistant to change, and who knows I probably would be too if Mongoose stopped supporting the current line of Conan and moved to RuneQuest or something. In fact, I voted as such. <shrug> :lol:

Yes, I like the D&D system for Conan, to me it seems to work better than RQ or anything else would - mainly because of the class, feats and hit point systems. I'd like the system to be refined somewhat rather than being replaced. If it were replaced I'd be rather annoyed.

I played in a 4e game (Keep on the Shadowfell) and we had an entire session of role-play. That's right, 6 hours of no combat using the latest rules of D&D.

Surely you must be doing it wrong then...

Bygoneyrs said:
Hey there Flatscan....

I'll put my 32+ yrs of RPG against your experience any day....

AD&D was the BEST set of real RPG rules they ever had, only followed by D&D 2.5 next. My campaign has lasted for over 25 yrs, and has run on role playing as the focus.
The first edition crowd would say that 2e was just a way to milk players for money! I do not see ANY company being in the market for charity. In its days TSR was accused of exactly the same "crime" that now WotC is accused of. They make a product, if you like it, you buy it. If not, don't.
Actually, I love 2e, and 1e, and classic D&D, followed by D&D 3.0. I do not like the 3.5 version and its derivatives (including d20 Conan, eh), nor 4e; but that is just a matter of taste about how some aspects of the game have changed. As I said, I roleplayed with d20 Conan, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4e and Hero Quest.

In its days TSR was accused of exactly the same "crime" that now WotC is accused of.

That's a very good point. TSR were certainly the commercial colossus of rpg in their day. I remember virtually every other word in their books had 'TM' attached... and that was the butt of many jokes in publications like the old (pre Warhammer) White Dwarf.

Why still argue? Conan as now is the cadillac of RPG. DnD whatever the system as always been the muppet show with cute little elf Paladin and rainbow sword and now with 4ed it is even worse. I mean it was cool when I was 12 years old but now...

Conan d20 is perfect. It corrected the biggest flaw 3.X had and there is naked woman every where in the book!

By Crom what could we need more?

flatscan said:
Oh brother. :roll: It amazes me that so many people knock D&D (especially 4e) complaining about rules for the tactics and no rules for role-play. With 32+ years of gaming experience do you need rules for role-play? I played in a 4e game (Keep on the Shadowfell) and we had an entire session of role-play. That's right, 6 hours of no combat using the latest rules of D&D. You people love to fault the system but you ought to look at yourselves first. You bring the role to life not the game books.

As to those cumbersome rules you dislike so much, 4e actually scaled them back quite a bit from 3.5. Fewer skills and feats to keep track of. Keep in mind that D&D was inspired by a WARGAME. Tactics have always been an important part of it, even if you don't like using minis.

So much fewer as to be practically non-existant.

Do you need rules for reole playing? Hell yes! I have 32+ years of the hobby behind me too, but I still want a game written for someone new. They dhouldn't take for granted that people know what they're doing. Fluff is totally absent in 4e, and semi-meaningful briefs on how elves, halflings an dwarves behave is so minimal it might as well has just said "go watch one of the LOtRs and come back to this book when you're done."

Not only that, but the style of play of any given class in 4e is dictated by the limited choice of abailities at each level. When you choose 1 of 4 each time, and 2 of those choices aren't even optimal or interesting, becmeing a 1 or 2 choice real fast...you get very little character variation. Yes, you can manage it, but try making a Dwarf Paladin. Try making a halfling Warlord. It sucks because all of the boons are geared towards other races being suited for those classes so much and there being so few ways to choose a path to make them better that it's really almost a waste of time.

Now, this fact leads me to clearing up the idea that suddently, without explanation, gamers everywhere have turned agaisnt WotC and decided that they have flipped the industry on it's ear by taking a 90 degree turn into being interested in money. This position illustrated by the many books yet to be published. You are in the camp that argues that "TSR did it too, they had lots of books, and nobody called them money grubbing swine." Well, that's because they didn't print a percentage of the fighter rules in one book, followed by another percentage of them in another book, and so on. With books like Martial Powers, WotC have intentionally created an unfinished product in the initial three core books, to be followed by more and more "core" books after the fact, adding to and finishing off the whole. TSR issued "supplements" clearly defined as such, and totally additional to the books required. There was never the suggestion that you needed more than one players handbook to play the game, but WotC are doing just that; you need PHB1, MP, AP, PHB2...and the list goes on.

TSR can't be termed the "commercial collossus of thier day" because ther simply was no other company out there foing it. Steve Jackson didn't hit the big time with GURPS until far later, and still he kept the all-in-one model, with supplements to add on to the core.

3.0 was one book required gaming, and it had it all in there. Conan RPG has taken that and transformed it into the cream of 3.X. DO you need the Khitai supplement? No. Do you want it? Maybe, but more because of the quality of the previous products than the sense of an incomplete rules set.

Face it, 3.X is the best thing out there, and 4e will die off within about a year. Both because people won't want to buy into a perpetual list of "core" material, and because it's really an inferior, inflexible, 2 dimensional set of game rules compared to the 3.X varients that are still around. The fact there there's still such a 3.X following adds proof.

TSR can't be termed the "commercial collossus of thier day" because ther simply was no other company out there foing it.

What??

Chaosium? Game Designers' Workshop? Both were publishing in the 70s and 80s when TSR was in the ascendancy and producing book after bloated book. Monster Manual II anyone? Or Unearthed Arcana?

by taking a 90 degree turn into being interested in money

You seriously think TSR (TM) weren't interested in making money?

Fluff is totally absent in 4e, and semi-meaningful briefs on how elves, halflings an dwarves behave is so minimal it might as well has just said "go watch one of the LOtRs and come back to this book when you're done."

Fluff does not equal rules. Suppose I want my halflings to be canabbalistic water-dwellers? Or my elves to be the magically incapable enslaved chattels of an amoral sorcerous dwarven empire? Giving me 'rules' about how dwarves, halflings and elves should behave will be pointless.

If you think some campaign settings would be nice for 4th ed D&D, then fair enough. And yes, I agree, Core rules should come in one book... hey wait, didn't TSR's AD&D require three books as a minimum to play way back all those decades ago... I do believe it did. (To be fair you really needed two books for RQ (the rules plus Cults of Prax).

The whole rpg industry is, and has always been, geared to getting punters to buy ever increasing numbers of books for a given game. TSR were the masters of this in the 70s/80s but the likes of Chaosium and GDW followed the same format (exactly how many Traveller supplements were there?) albeit generally in cheaper formats and/or with fewer books being turned out overall.

WotC gave you 3rd edition and its iterations. The beloved d20 system. Bloated and hideous as it eventually became. Just like AD&D did. You might not like their new direction but it is merely the logical step on the rpg road. They're trying to avoid the fate of TSR (and the rest). Maybe they're wrong. But there's nothing terribly novel about their approach. However cynical.

Both because people won't want to buy into a perpetual list of "core" material

I think they will actually. Look how many people bought all the AD&D 'supplementary' rule books... and there were quite a few... Fiend Folio anyone?

TSR issued "supplements" clearly defined as such, and totally additional to the books required

Not really. Numerous adventures cropped up requiring monsters from FF or MM2. Yes you could play the game with a mere three books and nothing else. But one can play 4th ed D&D with the minimum number of books in just the same way, surely.

I have just started using the Cortex system for the Serenity game. It takes me back to the simplicity of yore, but it wouldn't suit Conan. Characters are based on their personality traits (like merits & flaws) rather than their class abilities. I think it would suit other games, such as Star Wars and Army of Darkness. Conan has greater depth with oodles of detail. Sure, beginners find that daunting and difficult, but Conan has no pity for weaklings!

I know it all depends on playing style, but all things being even, I prefer the current rules for Conan, as we can ignore what we don't like (attacks of opportunity for me). Now what if Mongoose Traveller used the Cortex rules? Hmm. Just a thought.

Chees,
Brisco.

Some people here have argued that the game system is immaterial to the roleplaying. Presumably, these people feel that tic-tax-toe or preparing financial statements supports roleplaying just as much as any of the improv games I used to do in improv workshops. We can debate how right their point is, but I think we can agree that there's a large group of roleplayers out there who simply don't want to be forced to treat their character sheet like a Magic: the Gathering deck constantly tweaking it to get as many +1 bonuses as possible.
And as for tactical simulation, the more detailed and defined the rules are, the more restrictive you make the range of worlds you can create because the most reasonable action a character makes depends on what genre rules are in place. This, I think, ties into the roleplaying criticism.

Presumably, these people feel that tic-tax-toe or preparing financial statements supports roleplaying just as much as any of the improv games I used to do in improv workshops

That's a terrible argument. Nobody 'plays a character' in either knots and crosses or whilst preparing financial statements. Honestly...

Character actions will always be circumscribed by rules in any game - even a freeform one. What you mean is that some people like simple rules and other people like rules that sacrifice simplicity for other factors. That's fine. And I think we can agree that some people find 'hard' rules inhibit their suspension of disbelief because they can't grasp the mechanics. But others will dislike simple systems because they lack detail. Neither actually prevents roleplaying.

One of the holy cows of roleplaying is character progression - characters improve skills, stats, whatever as the game goes on. I don't actually like this much - I prefer a character to be more (though not entirely) static in stats in abilities and progression to come from their character development in the sense of their persona emerging with time and developing with the plot. But I wouldn't say the traditional 'improve stats and skills' approach inhibits roleplaying just because it means I have to worry about numbers changing every now and then.

Demetrio said:
Presumably, these people feel that tic-tax-toe or preparing financial statements supports roleplaying just as much as any of the improv games I used to do in improv workshops

That's a terrible argument. Nobody 'plays a character' in either knots and crosses or whilst preparing financial statements. Honestly...

Character actions will always be circumscribed by rules in any game - even a freeform one. What you mean is that some people like simple rules and other people like rules that sacrifice simplicity for other factors. That's fine. And I think we can agree that some people find 'hard' rules inhibit their suspension of disbelief because they can't grasp the mechanics. But others will dislike simple systems because they lack detail. Neither actually prevents roleplaying.

One of the holy cows of roleplaying is character progression - characters improve skills, stats, whatever as the game goes on. I don't actually like this much - I prefer a character to be more (though not entirely) static in stats in abilities and progression to come from their character development in the sense of their persona emerging with time and developing with the plot. But I wouldn't say the traditional 'improve stats and skills' approach inhibits roleplaying just because it means I have to worry about numbers changing every now and then.

I wasn't talking about whether or not people play a character when they play tic-tac-toe or prepare financial statements. I was talking about to what extent those systems promote roleplaying. Clearly, not all systems promote roleplaying equally. The extent to which a system promotes roleplaying is based on more than arbitrary labels.

And I'd be careful if I were you in saying that the reason people don't like a lot of mathematics in their game is because they don't get it. I like salad. I like candy. I don't like candy-covered salad.

Clearly, not all systems promote roleplaying equally.

Don't be obtuse. Some systems provide no room for roleplaying, like the two you mention. Other systems allow the adoption of a role and the ability to change one's play according to how one imagines one's fictitious persona would respond in presented circumstances.

Give me an example of a circumstance occuring under 4th ed D&D rules that would inhibit me playing 'in role'. And then show me how 3.5 would encourage roleplaying in that circumstance.

Bear in mind I know little of 4th ed. and have no affection for the idea of it. I'm prepared to be convinced. But not be wild statements about how it's 'too mathematical'. That's either opinion or taste or both.

And I'd be careful if I were you in saying that the reason people don't like a lot of mathematics in their game is because they don't get it.

Did you read what I wrote? Because I didn't say that.

Demetrio said:
Clearly, not all systems promote roleplaying equally.

Don't be obtuse. Some systems provide no room for roleplaying, like the two you mention. Other systems allow the adoption of a role and the ability to change one's play according to how one imagines one's fictitious persona would respond in presented circumstances.

Give me an example of a circumstance occuring under 4th ed D&D rules that would inhibit me playing 'in role'. And then show me how 3.5 would encourage roleplaying in that circumstance.

Bear in mind I know little of 4th ed. and have no affection for the idea of it. I'm prepared to be convinced. But not be wild statements about how it's 'too mathematical'. That's either opinion or taste or both.

And I'd be careful if I were you in saying that the reason people don't like a lot of mathematics in their game is because they don't get it.

Did you read what I wrote? Because I didn't say that.

There's a reason you don't find a mosh pit at a folk music festival, why organizational psychologists spend countless hours researching the best way to do brainstorming, why there are rules in improv theater, why a charismatic church creates a different kind of environment than a liturgical one, and why math-heavy game systems are counter to roleplaying. It's all a matter of which parts of the brain you are focusing on. This principle (called 'structuralism') has been recognized by social scientists at least since Malinowski. But you are, of course, free to ignore it.

You wrote that people dislike 'hard' rules because they can't understand them. Then, two posts later, you denied having said that.

You wrote that what makes a roleplaying system is the ability to take on a role and have options you can take in how you play that role. That's the point I was trying to get us to. What 4e has done is allow players to pick a race and class and, once those choices are made, the majority of other choices from role to skills to equipment are made for the character.

and why math-heavy game systems are counter to roleplaying

im just curious. do you consider it to be math-heavy because it contains alot of math or because it contains more complex form of mathematics? because i dont really consider addition, subtraction, division and multiplication as something that makes a game math-heavy.

Back