What if? Conan comics

That's odd -- I figured anybody who'd been gaming very long knew who Chick is. His "Dark Dungeons" tract is something of an in-joke among old folk like me. Few things set my teeth on edge worse than reading his misinformed intolerance, but that one is so bad it's good, and reminds me of what it wasd like in the 1970s when idiots like this had some success at convincing the world that all RPGers were Satanists and pagans in the making.

And yes, there's almost always a character in the Chick tracts who laughs, "Haw, haw." It's often the fatherly savior/witness who is pointing out some obscure religious concept that he gets and everybody else misunderstands, but I think it's also been used as mocking laughter by whatever demonic force is present in the particular diatribe.

InsomNY said:
That's odd -- I figured anybody who'd been gaming very long knew who Chick is. His "Dark Dungeons" tract is something of an in-joke among old folk like me. Few things set my teeth on edge worse than reading his misinformed intolerance, but that one is so bad it's good, and reminds me of what it wasd like in the 1970s when idiots like this had some success at convincing the world that all RPGers were Satanists and pagans in the making.

And yes, there's almost always a character in the Chick tracts who laughs, "Haw, haw." It's often the fatherly savior/witness who is pointing out some obscure religious concept that he gets and everybody else misunderstands, but I think it's also been used as mocking laughter by whatever demonic force is present in the particular diatribe.

Ah, I see. Heh heh. Now I understand your reference. I've been gaming since the late seventies and never heard of this kook. I do remember the old canard about "people who play D&D like to wander around in sewers" that used to go around. I actually read a book about the origin of this myth called "The Dungeon Master." Its about the kid who led a kind of a LARP group in the '70s who did go around in the tunnels underneath Michigan State University (those gadd**n Spartans, always up to no good :) ), and he ended up missing for a while. Of course he wasnt lost in the tunnels but had hit the road and was finally found in a seedy hotel in the South somewhere. The bottom line is he was a troubled kid: he had mental problems, and was struggling with his homosexuality, too. The amusing thing about the book was the detective/author who tracked down the kid. He was quite a character, and a real drama queen. Well I guess he had to spice up what was essentially a story about a troubled runaway. I remember in the book he plays D&D with some college kids for the first time to try and "get inside the head" of the missing youth. And his thoughts and reactions about it were pretty funny- he really gets into it and has that excitement that comes from, for lack of a better phrase, "popping the RPG cherry." But, certainly, as a long time gamer and a life long Catholic, I have to agree that this Chick dude is a real idiot.

Back