What exactly is 'Modern' about MRQ?

Rurik

Mongoose
I have seen MRQ being described as a modern RQ. I am curious as to what that means to posters.

With the possible exception of Legendary Abilities I don't see modern. I see different.

The system has been "streamlined", as in simplified, and has been successful in some areas and (in my opinion) not so successful in others.

But this modernization eludes me. I am looking for honest opinions, not flames. I'll start a separate thread for that.

I haven't received my books yet, so this is just from previews and discussions I've read here:

The thing that strikes me as "modern" immediately is an attempt to go to a single resolution mechanic. There's no resistence table anymore because (nearly?) everything appears to be resolved with a % roll against a skill. All of the characteristic rolls are gone and replaced with skills that use those characteristics as bases, but not to directly roll against.

I also associate "modern" with simple systems, and MRQ has attempted to simplify the game. However, this might just be me. Several of the most successful modern/newer RPGs are quite complex. (Note: complex isn't really the right word. Fiddly or gamey might be better, but then we go off on the tangent of defining words! :) )

RMS said:
I haven't received my books yet, so this is just from previews and discussions I've read here:

The thing that strikes me as "modern" immediately is an attempt to go to a single resolution mechanic. There's no resistence table anymore because (nearly?) everything appears to be resolved with a % roll against a skill. All of the characteristic rolls are gone and replaced with skills that use those characteristics as bases, but not to directly roll against.

I also associate "modern" with simple systems, and MRQ has attempted to simplify the game. However, this might just be me. Several of the most successful modern/newer RPGs are quite complex. (Note: complex isn't really the right word. Fiddly or gamey might be better, but then we go off on the tangent of defining words! :) )

I separated streamlined from modern, but maybe people see them as the same. I think the move to simplification started a long time ago, with merit mind you, largely as a backlash to 'calculator' games. Look at Space 1889, single D6 resolution, and pushing 20 years old.

Despite the James Bond game having them ages ago, I would say that most players would consider the notion of Hero Points to be a modern approach to gaming (i.e. one that gives the PCs some extra power for narrative rather than physical reasons).

bluejay said:
Despite the James Bond game having them ages ago, I would say that most players would consider the notion of Hero Points to be a modern approach to gaming (i.e. one that gives the PCs some extra power for narrative rather than physical reasons).
One of what I consider to be the hallmarks of "modern gaming" is a single roll determines both success/fail and degree of result. (which in some cases could involve a similar roll opposition).

Being a product of 2006, and having at least some of the designers from the modern era, MQ clearly has aspects associated with modern design.

I almost think a better question has game design progressed much beyound 007 in the last 20 years, or was the James Bond RPG the epitome of modern design?

Urox said:
One of what I consider to be the hallmarks of "modern gaming" is a single roll determines both success/fail and degree of result. (which in some cases could involve a similar roll opposition).

True, we're all after the gaming equivalent of the unified field theory :shock:

Who knows, someday we might even find it, but don;t hold your breath :D

Vadrus

Rurik said:
:oops:
/me holds breath
Clearly you aren't a true believer! Didn't you know that the 'U' in GURPS stands for 'Unified Theory' ?

General
Unified Theory for
Role
Playing
Systems!

Urox said:
General
Unified Theory for
Role
Playing
Systems!

Or

Generic
Unsatisfying
Role
Playing
System

As some wag once named it (wasn't me, have the rules somewhere but never played it, just not into generic systems).

Vadrus

Ouch, and here's me thinking GURPS originally sold pretty well judging by the amount of expansions that used to come out for it.

Vadrus

Yeah, its just the new edition GURPS stuff that went down about as well as the new World of Darkness from where I'm standing :)

mthomason said:
Yeah, its just the new edition GURPS stuff that went down about as well as the new World of Darkness from where I'm standing :)

Seems adjusting and re-releasing an old favourite is a risky business... Hmmm. :wink:

Vadrus

Vadrus said:
Seems adjusting and re-releasing an old favourite is a risky business... Hmmm. :wink:

Vadrus

Heh, point taken :)

The biggest difference I can see here is that those two companies messed around with their own game system that was in print. MGP are taking an older out of print system and producing a new version. The main customer base for WoD and GURPS was existing players, while I'm imagining Mongoose is looking primarily to bring RQ to a whole generation of new players. The number of players who didn't pick up WoD and GURPS new versions were mostly those who were upset at invalidating all their older books, while the majority of prospective RQ buyers don't have any older books to worry about (and quite honestly, any of the old RQ players are probably more than capable of plugging in whatever bits they want from the new one and are not likely to start screaming that their old books "no longer work")

mthomason said:
The number of players who didn't pick up WoD and GURPS new versions were mostly those who were upset at invalidating all their older books.

Ah, the 'Games Workshop Effect' and yes I agree MRQ is different in that very few people actively seem to play RQ anymore but many look back to it fondly and would be open to trying new things to bring the magic back.

Vadrus

Mongoose succesfully reworked the long out-of-print Paranoia as well as Judge Dredd and arguably Conan. Last Unicorn did the same with Star Trek. It is the immediate reprinting, revising and invalidating of current products that causes problems.

Mongoose very carefully released Babylon 5 2E that specificaly did not invalidate previous books.

Greg Smith said:
Mongoose succesfully reworked the long out-of-print Paranoia as well as Judge Dredd and arguably Conan. Last Unicorn did the same with Star Trek. It is the immediate reprinting, revising and invalidating of current products that causes problems.

Mongoose very carefully released Babylon 5 2E that specificaly did not invalidate previous books.

I am not sure how "successful" Last Unicorn was, seeing how they were bought out by WotC. Apparently the cost of the Trek liscense was too much for them to afford and still make money off of the game.

Last Unicorn produced a workable game in three incarnations TNG, DS9 and ToS, and produced a considerable number of supplements. They may not have had the long-running success that FASA had with the Trek licenec, but they did successfully re-invent the Trek RPG, which was the point of the conversation (their business success and the WotC sell-out, is a whole other point).

Back