What dyou prefer?

Which do you prefer

• BSG Old Styleeee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BSG retelling Masssiieeeve

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I actually really liked that it stayed truer to Wells' original vision. I first read the illustrated book at age 9 and the part with the tripods coming over the hill toward the Channel scared the bejeezus outta me. The ferry scene in the movie had exactly the same chilling feel to it. Plus the horns were a nice creepy touch. Given that the air on Mars is so thin, it makes a kind of whimsical sense that they might communicate with deafening horns. Or maybe they just wanted to set the wee meatsocks a-running. Either way, most effective.

frobisher said:
My biggest proplem with the Cruise movie was it was way too close to the book (whilst giving lip service to updating it). The whole "well bugger me, we forgot our flu shots" ending really feels tacked on because of it and I know, that's the original ending, but it just doesn't fly these days..

that's how I felt too. Likewise when I saw the film "Fatherland" (before I'd read the book) I was really disappointed when the film revealed the jewish holocaust to be the hidden conspiracy. I was thinking "that's the secret? but I knew that it happened! that's not a secret!" :(

frobisher said:
CudaHP said:
...appearance of the aliens on earth using technology more advanced than hours...

Erm, you did see the same movie as the rest of us..? They very much arrived due to a mucher higher technology than ours...

My biggest proplem with the Cruise movie was it was way too close to the book (whilst giving lip service to updating it). The whole "well bugger me, we forgot our flu shots" ending really feels tacked on because of it and I know, that's the original ending, but it just doesn't fly these days.

Not a good film IMO, but still way better than "Mission to Mars" (my benchmark for a waste of two hours).

I personally thought the lip service to updating it hurt more than helped and it suffered because of it. It felt very much like a b-movie. I can accept a movie set in the 1800s? 1900s? (I forget when the book was set and I'm terrible with dates and eras) where the aliens die to the common cold. little was known about those things back then. Something I love about the old twilight zones is just that, they tackle a lot of ideas that, while they may seem silly to us now because of advents in technology, they were mysterious back then.

Mission to mars blew

I prefer a channel in Belgium that would actually show the new series :cry: before deciding it's worth of spending my money on to get the DVD boxes. Did it with Stargate without first seeing a few episodes and still regret it, and did it with Andromeda Ascendant, which was on the other hand a great series.

Seeing that dvd boxes easily reach prices of 100 euros here, I now prefer to wait a sec before buying, and at least try to see one or two episodes...

Lord Aldades said:
I prefer a channel in Belgium that would actually show the new series :cry: before deciding it's worth of spending my money on to get the DVD boxes. Did it with Stargate without first seeing a few episodes and still regret it, and did it with Andromeda Ascendant, which was on the other hand a great series.

Seeing that dvd boxes easily reach prices of 100 euros here, I now prefer to wait a sec before buying, and at least try to see one or two episodes...

You'll be able to get the Season 1 boxset waaaay cheaper than that if you buy from a UK vendor - say... Play :)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pag...7&g=72&adudisc=y&who=&cpage=1&pa=cart&Cur=258

and for the pilot mini series...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=157769&p=57&g=72&pa=sr

Downside is the languages are English only on those.

frobisher said:
CudaHP said:
...appearance of the aliens on earth using technology more advanced than hours...

Erm, you did see the same movie as the rest of us..? They very much arrived due to a mucher higher technology than ours...

My biggest proplem with the Cruise movie was it was way too close to the book (whilst giving lip service to updating it). The whole "well bugger me, we forgot our flu shots" ending really feels tacked on because of it and I know, that's the original ending, but it just doesn't fly these days.

Not a good film IMO, but still way better than "Mission to Mars" (my benchmark for a waste of two hours).
Nothing compared to Red Planet, of course.

I find that any screen translation of Carl Sagan's ideals, like Mission to Mars or Contact, is in general horrid.

Back