What Do You Want From Third-Party Support?

What sort of support products do you want to see from licensed publishers?

• Adventures (for standard campaigns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Subsector or Sector sourcebooks, detailing new areas

• New Ship Designs (individual or a collection)

• New Alien Races

• New Equipment Books

• New Careers

• Completely Original Settings (not plug-ins for std. Traveller)

• Other (describe below)

• Total voters

GMSkarka

Mongoose
I figured I'd put this thread out here to help out all of the publishers out there looking to do licensed TRAVELLER support, now that the Dev pack has been released.

What sort of products do you really want to see?

I voted for "Other" because I would prefer a combination: Original settings
with new alien species, careers, ships and equipment.

I've got plans for a majority of what you've posted here, GMSkarka. :)

I've got plans for a sector sourcebook, a robot design sourcebook, adventures, aliens, polities, and other items, as I am so inspired.

Looking forward to seeing your work, as well.

With Regards,
Flynn

I think forcing a single selection will cause this poll to be less accurate. I think there is opportunity for many of the items on your list. Third Party publishers should try and mix in many of these things into their products.

Just my .02

Daniel

A related question: would you like to see 3rd-party adaptation of the Traveller rules to other genres such as in-system low-tech hard-sci-fi, post-apocalyptic roleplaying, modern games, horror or even fantasy?

Personally I think that the Mongoose Traveller rules would work well with both post-apocalyptic and modern settings.

Golan2072 said:
A related question: would you like to see 3rd-party adaptation of the Traveller rules to other genres ...

I could imagine quite a number of genre adaptations that could be
very interesting for me, but of course it would depend on the specific
setting and the quality of the products whether I would buy one.

Golan2072 said:
A related question: would you like to see 3rd-party adaptation of the Traveller rules to other genres such as in-system low-tech hard-sci-fi, post-apocalyptic roleplaying, modern games, horror or even fantasy?

I definitely would NOT like to see that. Traveller is a SF ruleset - if I wanted it to do fantasy or horror then I'd be better off getting a properly generic system like GURPS for that.

EDG said:
Golan2072 said:

I definitely would NOT like to see that. Traveller is a SF ruleset - if I wanted it to do fantasy or horror then I'd be better off getting a properly generic system like GURPS for that.
What about sci-fi of non-interstellar types such as post-apocalypse or interplanetary STL settings?

An interplanetary low-tech SF of TL 7 or 8 should be comparatively easy
to create with the Traveller rules.
With a postapocalyptic setting it probably would depend on the level of
the remaining technology, but TNE provided a lot of examples of post-
Virus low-tech worlds that worked rather well.
Cthulhu End Time and Ctulhu Rising are good examples of SF horror set-
tings of a kind that could also be designed well with Traveller rules, I
think.
I once played a fantasy setting (Thieves' World, I think) that had CT ru-
les, but in this case the rules really did not fit the setting, and I doubt
that any fantasy setting could be modelled well with Traveller rules.

Something not mentioned in the poll, but perhaps also interesting and
useful: Institutions and Organizations.

At least I could really use some inspiration of that kind for my setting,
from free trader leagues over interstellar research institutes and news
agencies all the way to religious organizations.

Golan2072 said:
EDG said:
Golan2072 said:

What about sci-fi of non-interstellar types such as post-apocalypse or interplanetary STL settings?

Well any SF is fair game IMO. I just don't want to see it veer of into fantasy or other genres, because then Mongoose might as well have designed it as a generic ruleset to start with.

That said I guess the OGL can let people make up their own rules for different genres, but I then we're back to the question of "why try to fit a fantasy setting/rules into a SF ruleset in the first place?". I'd definitely rather have Mongoose just do SF stuff for Traveller though.

dafrca said:
I think forcing a single selection will cause this poll to be less accurate.

*sigh* Gamers.

I know -- I was just asking people to pick one, as their top preference.

As a Traveller fan I , for example, would love to see "all of the above!" But I figured asking people for their top choice would be simpler (and clearer for curious publishers).

I also went with "Other", to be interpreted as "All of the Above".

As for the other genres, even fantasy, I still say yes. A robust sci-fi system really has to be able to handle most every genre because sci-fi potentially includes them all. Name it and its been done in science fiction; magic/sci-fi, horror/sci-fi, post-apocalyptic/sci-fi, etc.

Even if I didn't want to run a pure fantasy game with MGT (which I wouldn't have a problem with actually), I could still find useful rules in such a product for a sci-fi game.

Lots of good fantasy games out there. Rather fewer good sci-fi.

Had orgainzations been on the list I would have went for that, but often you can get that sort of thing out of adventures.

I never run pre-packaged adventures, but buy every one of them to mine for ideas and things I doht have time to do myself.

GMSkarka said:
dafrca said:
I think forcing a single selection will cause this poll to be less accurate.

*sigh* Gamers.

I know -- I was just asking people to pick one, as their top preference.

As a Traveller fan I , for example, would love to see "all of the above!" But I figured asking people for their top choice would be simpler (and clearer for curious publishers).

In the spirit of being more helpful then, I would say adventures. I'd snap-up adventures for a setting I like and would be much more likely to buy into an original setting if it's going to include adventure support.

Golan2072 said:

Personally I think that the Mongoose Traveller rules would work well with both post-apocalyptic and modern settings.

Really I'd like to see any and all of the poll options. Traveller is my new drug of choice and I wouldn't refuse the extra hits. As for other genres, sure. Why not? I'm always in the market for post-apocalyptic materials and I would also be interested in other genres that could add new dimensions to my Traveller game. Just thinking about all that potential goodness has me vibrating like a kid hopped up on sugar!

Golan2072 said:

Hmm. I've been tinkering with an idea like that for a while ... based around the Second Worlds War ...

* Assume that the well known journalistic account of the history of the first Martian/Atlantean scouting force (aka "War of the Worlds") was more or less true ...

* But represents only a scout force.

* The technological clues left behind start an arms race that, like the naval arms race that, more or less, led to WW1 (Yes. Yes. I know, I am a historian, I'm simplifying massively) still leads to something like WW1 ... but with more advanced, Martian derived, weaponry ...

* The actual first Martian invasion force manages to hit smack bang in the middle of said war and is, well, mangled.

* The earth nations acquire the space drive from martian wreckage by reverse engineering and, well, this is where I have to do some thinking ..

You end up with the Second Worlds war which is a repeat Martian attempted invasion, more serious, perhaps but with an allied Terran counterinvasion of Mars or, possibly, just the allied counterinvasion.

Think vacuum-tube punk vs. a decadent Martian civilisation with limited remnant high tech items but basically fought at WW2 levels of tech in many areas.

Sherman Anti-Grav tanks carried to a Mars assault by LSTs ("Landing Spaceship, Tank") protected by, say, the USS (US Spaceship) CVS (Starfighter carrier) Wasp and RN Victorious as well as the USS BBS Iowa etc. etc.

Sound too ... weird?

Phil

An idea that reminds me of a Golden Age short story where someone
travelled to Venus in order to ask the Venusians to intervene in just
such a war between Earthlings and Martians ... :twisted:

Back