What do you think of the Conan movies?

The first movie is one of my fave films of all time. Very well executed. I loved Beastmaster as a kid, however no fantasy film could ever equal or beat the epic nature that is Hawk the Slayer.

Kull is the most awesomeest film of all time! With the flying thing and that that big blobby thing near the end...with the...and he had the...

Just kidding. CRAPOLA!

Here is a sad story about Beastmaster. The panther in the movie was actually another big cat painted black, as panthers cannot be trained. After the shoot they realized that the paint they used was toxic and the cat was permantly damaged by it. He spent the rest of his live at an animal reserve just north of the city I live in. He lived quite a long time but was in bad health. I am not sure but that cat was one of the reasons for a crackdown on the treatment of animals in film.

As far as "Barbarian" goes, I love that film! The directors cut on DVD does not have a lot of changes but the additions to it are so much more Howard.

P.S Listen to the commentary track. Milus has some great comments and Arnold says "exactly" about 45 times during the course of the commentary. He also offers no insight as he pretty much just explains what happens in the scene that is coming up. I got some good laughs from old musclehead!

Right you are! I did mean Krull. I must have blocked it out like an abuse memory.

Speaking of Kull with Keven Sorbo, I have to admit. I didn't hate it. I also liked the fact that, near the end, he only fought two guys at a time because clearly they only had two of the guard helmets.

The only thing that scared me as a kid was the opening to Doctor Who!
Arrghhh! Run!

"Brotherhood of the wolf" is great! I love that movie and I made a character for Ravenloft inspired in the character of Vincent Cassel. His sword is awesome!

Haven't seen "Flesh & Blood", but I'm really looking for that movie.

Neeklus said:
The first movie is one of my fave films of all time. Very well executed. I loved Beastmaster as a kid, however no fantasy film could ever equal or beat the epic nature that is Hawk the Slayer.

I've never been able to find the movie "Hawk the Slayer" on DVD. Anyone know if it is? I've always wanted to see that movie...

spawn said:
I think I must be alone in the world when I say I really enjoyed Red Sonja a lot. It has it's faults of course, but I still really like it.

The first Conan movie was enjoyable also. Though for the life of me I have not figured out what so many people seem to love about the soundtrack!

Fire And Ice was really great also. If anyone wants to see another good fantasy film, try Dungeons And Dragons 2:Wrath Of The Dragon God, I was really surprised how good it actually was, basically an RPG come to life. It isn't an Oscar winner, but I think any fantasy fan not expecting LOTR level stuff will REALLY enjoy it!
:)

Yeah I was amazed how much I liked D&D 2, Wrath of the Dragon God- it was really entertaining. I loved that one scene whent the cleric buys it fighting the dragon: the beast breaths on him and freezes him solid, then in the ensuing battle he gets smashed to a bunch of pieces. Shaman heal thyself!

Then there was also the scene where the Dwarf thief saves the party from that wicked trap- man, those spikes meant business!

There was one scene that didnt work that well: the one where two members of the party are working to decipher a riddle or something at the statue, and the two females are told to fight off the group of bad guys running at them. Did I miss something? Why not kill off the bad guys as a team, then decipher the stupid riddle afterwards? You could even have the two chick characters scrounge up some lunch while the guys figure out the damn riddle.... Perhaps the idea was that the bad guys were an endless horde, therefore they had to decipher it right then and there in order to open the passageway beneath, but there were only i dont know, 25 or 30 bad guys running at them, yes a lot of baddies but not an endless horde. They shoulda just killed em off as a team, then gone back to the damn statue. Now, the two chicks handled them well. But it seemed like an attempt to draw some suspense out of the situation that didnt add up. Like, "Will these intrepid heroes decipher it in time or will they be overrun by the inept baddies? Tune in next week..." I guess budget constraints limited the # of bad guys they could show, but at the time watching it i was like- hey, kill the bad guys as a team, then decipher the effing riddle at your liesure, criminy!

But overrall, that was a cool flick- the bad guys were pretty cool- even the lich with the bad teeth (which figures, Lich dental care being what it is since Kemmler took over as the Lichmaster...) and the dragon was effing awesome, and the good guys werent annoying: and some of them took a dirt nap, too! Fun stuff!

Neither do I.

BTW, how's "Fire and Ice"? I'd like to know cause I love Frazetta but I thought that it was a documentary or something. Please explain!

Strom said:
Neo said:
Loved the first one..

Loved the Princess from the second one...

Red Sonja..was however just total papage..

Beastmaster was also good though all the sequals were awful.

Kull was also utter tripe..

We are basically on the same page Neo! CTB is my absolute favorite S & S movie - with Excaliber second. Beastmaster wasn't bad.

Also, I am so glad to hear that someone else believes that The Sword & the Sorceror is complete and utter crap! That damn movie gets so many damn good reviews from people who think Conan the Barbarian is crap! never understood that. Man, does that movie blow huge chunks. :eek:

D'Abo makes Destroyer watchable. I don't think I've ever seen the entire Red Sonya movie. I watched this terrible RPG movie (can't remember the name) years ago where I only remember 3 lines:

Player - 'I'll be the wizard'
GM - "Good choice!"

"Hold her Zack... while I do her" :shock:

That was one bad movie!

Haw haw! I remember that flick, man that movie sucked. I think i could dig around and figure out what flick that was. Whoever made that movie should be hunted down and beaten mercilessly about the head and neck. It was even worse than the Tom Hanks D&D movie where he goes nutso and gets lost in the caverns. Sheesh.

[/quote]

I've never been able to find the movie "Hawk the Slayer" on DVD. Anyone know if it is? I've always wanted to see that movie...[/quote]

It is indeed as I have it in my collection. You can get it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/203-6104616-9183101

Raven Blackwell said:
spawn said:
IIf anyone wants to see another good fantasy film, try Dungeons And Dragons 2:Wrath Of The Dragon God, I was really surprised how good it actually was, basically an RPG come to life. It isn't an Oscar winner, but I think any fantasy fan not expecting LOTR level stuff will REALLY enjoy it!
:)

Did they actually film that sequel? Oh dear Mother, wasn't the first bad enough? 8)

The sequel is actually good though :) The first one was absolutely hilarious, though it was not meant to be...

spawn said:
The sequel is actually good though :) The first one was absolutely hilarious, though it was not meant to be...

Never saw the second, but I got to agree with you on the first. I think I had tears rolling down my face at one point from laughing so hard.

If you want a real treat, trying watching the dvd with the commentary on. :)

[quote} It was even worse than the Tom Hanks D&D movie where he goes nutso and gets lost in the caverns. Sheesh.[/quote]

You mean the Tee-vee movie Mazes and Monsters! (Gee where did they get that title from?)

I found the novel by Rona Jaffe at a garage sale so I grabbed it and read it in a couple of hours. It wasn't all that bad, if you can believe that a group of model looking kids would sit around and play D&D all day.

Sadly the movie brought into play the myth that roleplaying will turn you crazy and evil! When will they learn? We all all crazy and evil to begin with! :D

The book doesn't actually say that the game drove him off the deep end. The Tom Hanks character has troubles to begin with and ends up unable to separate fantasy from reality.

AND, they LARP under the tunnels of their University, just like a certain comic book some of you might be familier with...Hoody Hoo!

GregLynch said:
Never saw the second, but I got to agree with you on the first. I think I had tears rolling down my face at one point from laughing so hard.

If you want a real treat, trying watching the dvd with the commentary on. :)

Do they actually try and treat it as a serious work? If so that would be hilarious.....

Vincent791 said:
Neither do I.

BTW, how's "Fire and Ice"? I'd like to know cause I love Frazetta but I thought that it was a documentary or something. Please explain!

At the time, the animation was cutting edge. It's out now from Amazon, bundled with the Frazetta documentary, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. It's not Conan, but it's got that pulp novel feel and is reletively low magic except for the villain who is an ice scorcerer and is in the process of levelling an entire glacier upon the civilized lands. By today's CGI standards it's probably not all that great, and there's lots of looped sequences to fill action (they used the same segment of "hero running" but changed the background plates, and not too subtlely I might add!) but the story is cool and some of the imagery is great for a little know or watched fantasy film.

Back