What do you think of the Conan movies?

Vincent791

Mongoose
Well, I guess that this has been discussed, but I'd like to know what you think of the movies. Personally I love the first one, the music is one of the best soundtracks that I've ever heard, and thank Crom that Arnold doesn't speak that much.

This is one of my favorite movies of this genre, I remember The Beastmaster too (and Tanya Roberts). :twisted:

Discuss, feel free to talk about Conan the Barbarian, Conan The Destroyer and Red Sonja.

Loved the first one..

Loved the Princess from the second one...

Red Sonja..was however just total papage..

Beastmaster was also good though all the sequals were awful.

Kull was also utter tripe..

• I loved the first movie, mostly for the same reasons you gave (I also think the soundtrack by Pouledoris is one of the best ever made); I liked the character interplay and the smouldering look Conan could give - but I must view the movie as separate from the stories instead of in sync with the stories. Ah-nold's being alone is so different from the character in the written stories. Anyway, enough of that. Loved the first one.
  • I also loved the princess in the second one, but not much else (I am a year younger than Olivia D'Abo, ah I had such a crush on her when it came out). Sara Douglas was decent as the evil Queen. The rest of the movie, well..... at least you get to see the same actor (kinda) who played Thorgrim in the first as the captain of the Guard who has the woodland duel w/ Ah-nold in this one.
  • Red Sonja - well, that was very forgetful, even though I dig Sandahl Bergman, just not in that movie.
  • Beastmaster, totally forget what it was like. As I do "Sheena", "A View To A Kill", ... oh, I'm just listing movies w/ Tanya Roberts now.
  • Sword and the Sorcerer - totally forgetful, w/ Lee Horsely and Richard Moll as the demon whatever. Although scraping for it you could compare Horsely's character to a Hyborian-like character. But it sucked.
  • Ator, Krull, etc. ... Miles O'Keefe used to make tons of movies in which he played musclebound, brainless heroes one could say were after a Hyborian fashion, but they're all pretty forgetful. Krull? I just don't get that movie at all.
-Signing off for now.

I liked both movies, as well as the beastmaster and Kull and the older Krull. Excalibur could also be included as sword & sorcery and in fact the magic we see in the film is quite similar to what we read in Howard's stories.

Did anyone see the Fantaghiro series?

The King said:
I liked both movies, as well as the beastmaster and Kull and the older Krull. Excalibur could also be included as sword & sorcery and in fact the magic we see in the film is quite similar to what we read in Howard's stories.

Did anyone see the Fantaghiro series?
Oh good point. I too really like "Excalibur" despite the numerous problems it makes w/ the Arthurian sagas. I love the cast, and LMAO about Boorman casting his own daughter as Igraine and working the rape scene between her and Gabriel Byrne as Uther. Great quotes, neat armor, savage battles, but really not in the Conan line of things.
  • Army of Darkness - actually, this is MORE of a Hyborian wierd world than "Excalibur", except w/ an Elvis-quoting, Chainsaw-handed hero instead of a towering, pantherish Cimmerian. :twisted:
  • Fantaghiro - not familiar with it, although I do see a neat picture I'll put here: btw: she's holding a smallsword, while the swords pointed at her are Spanish Cup Hilt Rapiers!
alessandra15.JPG

I refered to excalibur for the magic but also for the violence of the blows. No finesse there.

There is one saving grace for the Red Sonia film and that is the sword fight between Sonia and (is it) Queen Ghedran it isn't often you get a solid fight in films and that one is worth it.

So many great movies! The bat-creatures of Beastmaster are awesome! I was shocked when I first saw them.

Although different, I love Clash of Titans too.

Vincent791 said:
Although different, I love Clash of Titans too.
Me too! I met Harry Hamlin at a television event a few years ago, and me and my date's best friend asked him about the movie. He said it was a blast to make it, really fun, not much hassle really.

Ah, this is bringing back memories of what was an awesome night. 8)

Neo said:
Loved the first one..

Loved the Princess from the second one...

Red Sonja..was however just total papage..

Beastmaster was also good though all the sequals were awful.

Kull was also utter tripe..

We are basically on the same page Neo! CTB is my absolute favorite S & S movie - with Excaliber second. Beastmaster wasn't bad.

Also, I am so glad to hear that someone else believes that The Sword & the Sorceror is complete and utter crap! That damn movie gets so many damn good reviews from people who think Conan the Barbarian is crap! never understood that. Man, does that movie blow huge chunks. :eek:

D'Abo makes Destroyer watchable. I don't think I've ever seen the entire Red Sonya movie. I watched this terrible RPG movie (can't remember the name) years ago where I only remember 3 lines:

Player - 'I'll be the wizard'
GM - "Good choice!"

"Hold her Zack... while I do her" :shock:

That was one bad movie!

Hey! how about "brotherhood of the wolf" french movie, not a lot of sorcery but i think it fits in to the genera, what do you think?

Strom said:
I watched this terrible RPG movie (can't remember the name) years ago where I only remember 3 lines:

Player - 'I'll be the wizard'
GM - "Good choice!"

"Hold her Zack... while I do her" :shock:

That was one bad movie!
Sounds familiar but I don't place it. Speaking of bad movies, how about this Paul Verhoeven "classic": Flesh & Blood

Belkregos said:
Hey! how about "brotherhood of the wolf" french movie, not a lot of sorcery but i think it fits in to the genera, what do you think?

I like that film a lot. Its mythical without resorting to the supernatural or some badly acting monster.

Bregales said:
That was one bad movie!
Sounds familiar but I don't place it. Speaking of bad movies, how about this Paul Verhoeven "classic": Flesh & Blood[/quote]

Flesh and BLood wasnt entirely bad... it did have some um... appeal :p

Nobody's mentioned Fire & Ice. Not technically Conan, but patterned on the feel via the mind of Frank Frazetta. The characters and great and...hmm...I think that's a Defensive Blast that the bad guy sorcerer dude uses at one point...

:wink:

The King said:
I refered to excalibur for the magic but also for the violence of the blows. No finesse there.

I recently re-watched Excalibur listening to the director's commentary by Mr. Boorman. Quite enlightening. However, after carefully studying the combat sequences, I found myself chuckling heartily at some of the peculiarities. In the sequence wherein Pendragon is ambushed in the forest, just before he drives the title sword into the stone, the attackers and some of Pendragon's men are in melee, and the combatants stike at one another's armour with the edges! No half-swording, or working to find chinks in the harness. Very inept. In one case a sword wobbled after impact with plate armour much like a wood-saw would when struck on the flat. There were so many instances worthy of note; this is but one of a dozen. Taken as a whole it is still enjoyable. Boorman's opus has aged badly when compared to the Milius film.

I think I must be alone in the world when I say I really enjoyed Red Sonja a lot. It has it's faults of course, but I still really like it.

The first Conan movie was enjoyable also. Though for the life of me I have not figured out what so many people seem to love about the soundtrack!

Fire And Ice was really great also. If anyone wants to see another good fantasy film, try Dungeons And Dragons 2:Wrath Of The Dragon God, I was really surprised how good it actually was, basically an RPG come to life. It isn't an Oscar winner, but I think any fantasy fan not expecting LOTR level stuff will REALLY enjoy it!
:)

spawn said:
IIf anyone wants to see another good fantasy film, try Dungeons And Dragons 2:Wrath Of The Dragon God, I was really surprised how good it actually was, basically an RPG come to life. It isn't an Oscar winner, but I think any fantasy fan not expecting LOTR level stuff will REALLY enjoy it!
:)

Did they actually film that sequel? Oh dear Mother, wasn't the first bad enough? 8)

Back