What are the Psi ops?

The_Daminator

Mongoose
I'm a Ea player for president clark, this pis ops stuff has my interest, coudl someone give me some more info on this? How does this translate into a fleet list?

Well, the only canon stuff is Black Omega Star Furies as well as a transport. It was an Azimov Civilian Liner with hyperspace probes (alowing them to stray off the regular beacon) as well as normal space sencors allowing them to detect incoming ships BEFORE they see them.

omega.jpg

*Black Omega

psicorpship1.jpg

*Black Omega Mothership

The next progression would assume that perhaps they would use Shadow Tech... though none of this is known... so you may have to make up what happens next.

Why would they have used shadow tech? It was anathema to telepaths wasn'it it? The screaming in their mind thing?

Ripple

Ripple said:
Why would they have used shadow tech? It was anathema to telepaths wasn'it it? The screaming in their mind thing?

Ripple

If uncontrooled. A telepath is was entered the ship when it was taken by Earth on Ganymede (sp?). Granted, it was uncontrolable, but that was because the telepath was not trained to handle such mental stresses.

Also, since they were left to run away with whatever tech was left over AFTER Clark's suicide, I would imagine their were many plans that still hadn't gotten a lot of attention. With the war looming, it would be pertenent for Psi Corps to look into these things and possibly research them.

Plus, Psi Corps is not a military unit, more a department of espianage and stealth. Brutal, one-on-one combat is NOT their idea of a fight. They won't fight unless they only suffer minimal to no losses. Psi Corps is too calculated to fight to the death.

Ripple said:

Ripple

Certainly telepaths could use shadowtech. Afterall it was telepaths shadows started implanting to their ships. Maybe they wouldn't like it(who likes to be plugged into shadowship anyway?) but if they would feel it to be needed for coming war why not?

A telepath used as a "CPU" for a Shadow Ship was supposed to make it immune to telepathic jamming... thats what Bester's lover was destined for.

Abraxas said:
If uncontrooled. A telepath is was entered the ship when it was taken by Earth on Ganymede (sp?). Granted, it was uncontrolable, but that was because the telepath was not trained to handle such mental stresses.

Nope, no evidence for it being a teep that went on board on Ganymede.

But it is well established that Shadow Tech is harmful to telepaths, unless you're a very powerful, Vorlon enhanced one trained to recognise such technology (such as Lyta).

It is also established in one of the novels that is regarded to be (mostly) within the canon by jms ("The Shadow Within") that the Shadows deliberately engineered their tech to be harmful to telepaths, and in fact left a lot as boobytraps.

So Psi Corps and active use of Shadow Tech is a no-no within the setting.

Actually, if you read through the Psi Corps book and the missing episode of Crusade, the Psi Corps are utilising Motherships, a few of which have Shadowtech interface systems and 1 of which may have been upgraded with additional shadowtech hull, etc.
The Psi Corps have Shadowcloaks, Black Omega squadrons and Motherships (possibly very upgraded?!). They also have plans for getting their hands on an Omega or even a Warlock to use with a Psi Corps crew. As they have a fully operational hidden shipyard and their own secret colony world this is not as far fetched as it may seem.

frobisher said:
Abraxas said:

Nope, no evidence for it being a teep that went on board on Ganymede.

My mistake. I thought it was a teep and was working from memory.

frobisher said:
But it is well established that Shadow Tech is harmful to telepaths, unless you're a very powerful, Vorlon enhanced one trained to recognise such technology (such as Lyta).

No. They can work around it as long as they are prepared. In "Ship of Tears" those telelpaths were no better than standard Psi Cops. Granted they were P10 or above, which stands to reason the teeps below that level may have difficulty if they are in the immediate proximity of a Shadow ship, but generally, telepaths can overcome psycic interference.

frobisher said:
It is also established in one of the novels that is regarded to be (mostly) within the canon by jms ("The Shadow Within") that the Shadows deliberately engineered their tech to be harmful to telepaths, and in fact left a lot as boobytraps.

If they are unprepared.

I know what you are talking about. The "Mouse" in "Shadow Within" exploded after it was scanned by a telepath because he did not know what to look for. Instead, the "Machine" overcame him resulting in the explosion.

Also, it may have been a telepathic grenade ACTIVATED by telepaths. Put this object near a target (a person) and then use a telapath to activate it from a safe distance.

It was never confirmed WHAT it was used for, leaving the reader to speculate.

frobisher said:
So Psi Corps and active use of Shadow Tech is a no-no within the setting.

I have to disagree.

Wing Commander said:
Actually, if you read through the Psi Corps book and the missing episode of Crusade, the Psi Corps are utilising Motherships, a few of which have Shadowtech interface systems and 1 of which may have been upgraded with additional shadowtech hull, etc.
The Psi Corps have Shadowcloaks, Black Omega squadrons and Motherships (possibly very upgraded?!). They also have plans for getting their hands on an Omega or even a Warlock to use with a Psi Corps crew. As they have a fully operational hidden shipyard and their own secret colony world this is not as far fetched as it may seem.

I really needs to get these books. I read the Bester book... but I need to get these books.

Can you tell me the titles, please?

The 1st edition Psi Corps book for the B5 RPG is your bible, the Crusade guide has a runthrough of the "missing episodes" at the back, 1 of which includes Mr Bester and features him hitching a lift off of the Excalibur only to get dropped off in deep space. It's a Psi Corps mothership which picks him up.

Wing Commander said:
The 1st edition Psi Corps book for the B5 RPG is your bible, the Crusade guide has a runthrough of the "missing episodes" at the back, 1 of which includes Mr Bester and features him hitching a lift off of the Excalibur only to get dropped off in deep space. It's a Psi Corps mothership which picks him up.

No offence to MP... but considering any litigation that may arise from a vehement JMS... I can't really consider anything they say to be really even remotely close to canon...

I found the Dark Genesis books. I assume there were only 3?

Abraxas said:
frobisher said:

No. They can work around it as long as they are prepared. In "Ship of Tears" those telelpaths were no better than standard Psi Cops. Granted they were P10 or above, which stands to reason the teeps below that level may have difficulty if they are in the immediate proximity of a Shadow ship, but generally, telepaths can overcome psycic interference.

Erm, those teeps had been surgically altered by the Shadow's minions to be used as CPUs. That's not the same thing at all...

Abraxas said:
Wing Commander said:

No offence to MP... but considering any litigation that may arise from a vehement JMS... I can't really consider anything they say to be really even remotely close to canon...

But in that particular instance, the reference point is from the scripts of the unfilmed episodes. So until contradicted by jms, that is canon information. Shadowtech in use on the Psi Corps motherships - that's a Mongoose invention that may or may not be invalidated by future output from jms.

The Psi Corps book however is 90% canon sourced, and the remaining 10% is by and large not at odds with canon.

Yeah, the shadowtech on the motherships for Psi Core is not canon as far as I was able to find. Mind you I did not look all that hard.

And yes they did talk about using telepaths as CPUs but that is hardly anything the telepaths would want. That is like me say I could wire you up to my desktop, up for the job?

Mongoose already decided that the Hunter was a standard shadow ship rather than a Crusade era Earth sepratist/rebel/Clarkist ship so they can change what they want. They change too much though and they may end up without the license down the road. Always better off if your changing stuff within a licensed product to put your cool new ideas safely in the 'unexplored' areas.

Ripple

Ripple said:
Mongoose already decided that the Hunter was a standard shadow ship rather than a Crusade era Earth sepratist/rebel/Clarkist ship so they can change what they want.

They've only done that within ACtA though which is a distinct branch of canon anyway (compare and contrast the ships between the RPG and ACtA and play spot the difference...).

The RPG ships have much more in common with the AOG B5 Wars designs. The ACtA ships have undergone an element of square pegging to suit the balance aspects of the game ;)

"And yes they did talk about using telepaths as CPUs but that is hardly anything the telepaths would want. That is like me say I could wire you up to my desktop, up for the job? "

- I don´t think that Psi Corps has ever really cared about what the individual Telepaths actually wanted. If Psi Corps wants you to be a CPU then you´ll be mindwiped, reprogrammed to specification and plugged in without so much as a by your leave.
Remember, the Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father.

And if they are willing to waste perfectly good teeps to further their own superiority complex... I see no reason why they can't have shadow tech...

They would probably wire rogue teeps in the CPUs. Psi Corps would probably consider that it was making them useful again.

Greg Smith said:
They would probably wire rogue teeps in the CPUs. Psi Corps would probably consider that it was making them useful again.

I don't think so. Rogue teeps still run the risk of retaining individuality. That would suck if they lost control of a shadow cruiser cause the rogues started "remembering" everything.

I don't think the Corps would want to take that risk.

Most of the teeps in the tv show that were wired in to the Shadowtech were blips that the psi corps had used to experiment on and provide to the Drakh. The Psi corps have the ability to completely mindwipe a subject and recreate a personality more suited to their needs. Remember what happened to Talia?

Back