Wayfarer

walkerd

Mongoose
How about the Witcher series as a basis for a world?

Low level magic, similar to Earth in the Middle Ages. Has loads of potential and lots of fun.

Low-level magic? Middle ages?

That's Deus Vult.

A setting I really recommend. It fits the lethality of Wayfarer's combat rules, making it ideal for any gritty game world. The campaign I'm currently running is the most fun I've had RPing in a good while. :)

AlphaStrike said:

That's Deus Vult.

A setting I really recommend. It fits the lethality of Wayfarer's combat rules, making it ideal for any gritty game world. The campaign I'm currently running is the most fun I've had RPing in a good while. :)

I have purchased all the Deus Vult stuff. I find Deus Vult, well, "silly". Where Witcher is dark and brooding, Deus borders, at least for me, on crazy. You have chain swords and players are more like James Bond secret agents.

At the end of the day it is more a style difference and will purchase everything released it's just I think a chnage in direction would be better.

walkerd said:
I have purchased all the Deus Vult stuff. I find Deus Vult, well, "silly". Where Witcher is dark and brooding, Deus borders, at least for me, on crazy. You have chain swords and players are more like James Bond secret agents.

Yep, I bought the Deus Vult setting book (actually Mongoose gave it to me) and thought it looked very promising. I then saw in a later book, weapons that seemed to have come straight out of a computer game. I'm afraid I instantly disengaged from Deus Vult at that point. Alternative history I can accept but gonzo history is just not for me.

I would be really excited to get the Witcher RPG (setting) like I already mentioned :) However there is already a Polish Witcher RPG out there, so I don't know if there is a possibility or even a market for that setting. Granted, video games might promote the setting somewhat but while I like the stories (at least what has been translated to English) they are still quite small fish in the ocean of fantasy literature these days.

Since I don't own Deus Vult, I didn't know that there were chain swords (sounds a bit like WFRP). Still I believe that those are not as iconic as chainswords in WH:40K and could be easily dropped (like I would do). If the characters are like Medieval secret agents, I don't mind. After all, I'm a fan of Assassin's Creed video games...

walkerd said:
AlphaStrike said:

That's Deus Vult.

At the end of the day it is more a style difference and will purchase everything released it's just I think a chnage in direction would be better.

Deus Vault is supposed to be a mix of historic and fantastic, my group has a Deus Vault campaign running right now and have had some great fun, with the right mix of supernatural, fantastic and the historic the game setting has enough for everyone.

What say you Deus Vault fans!

Encounters with the inquisition (in Deus Vult) have been a little unsettling. I think dark covers it. But the Templars take the award for brooding.
I'm not a user of chain swords. But don't find them any more of an issue than the likelihood of being hit by an orc or, indeed, a fireball.

Getting back to the original question. I think there is one inheritent problem with this setting, namely witchers. Even if you set the game earlier era when there were many more witchers than at the time of Geralt they mostly operate alone and are pretty powerful.

So, what the PCs would be? If not witchers then the setting is pretty much similar to Old World and while interesting, it is not truly unique. It's quite the same problem with Rogue Trooper RPG or any other where stories are centered around pretty unique individuals. Judge Dredd RPGs are an exception as there are plenty of more normal judges than JD and in Conan RPG there is a lot of room for other adventurers other than Conan...

Morgan d'Barganfore said:
Sorry, didn't mean to distract - was just following where the thread went,,
No problem, not my thread :D

I just wanted to make sure to what part I was answering :)

Morgan d'Barganfore said:
Encounters with the inquisition (in Deus Vult) have been a little unsettling. I think dark covers it. But the Templars take the award for brooding.
I'm not a user of chain swords. But don't find them any more of an issue than the likelihood of being hit by an orc or, indeed, a fireball.

It strieks me that DV isa ll about the chain swords and secret gadgets. I found the adventure fairly decent and as I said will purchase everything that comes out. It is the right period but to me the feel is wrong.

While just my preference I would drop all the gadgets and silly stuff and introduce the rules for fear and insanity. A different direction.

Of course people may prefer the James Bond approach, it is just that I don't.

SnowDog said:
Getting back to the original question. I think there is one inheritent problem with this setting, namely witchers. Even if you set the game earlier era when there were many more witchers than at the time of Geralt they mostly operate alone and are pretty powerful.

So, what the PCs would be? If not witchers then the setting is pretty much similar to Old World and while interesting, it is not truly unique. It's quite the same problem with Rogue Trooper RPG or any other where stories are centered around pretty unique individuals. Judge Dredd RPGs are an exception as there are plenty of more normal judges than JD and in Conan RPG there is a lot of room for other adventurers other than Conan...

In the books Geralt often has someone with him and certainly does so in the PC games. You could not be a party of Witchers but could be friends or even other "creatures" that have escaped the church, such as an elf, or a mage.

It certainly would be better with smaller, slightly tougher groups then large groups.

walkerd said:
In the books Geralt often has someone with him and certainly does so in the PC games. You could not be a party of Witchers but could be friends or even other "creatures" that have escaped the church, such as an elf, or a mage.

It certainly would be better with smaller, slightly tougher groups then large groups.
If I understood this correctly, there would be no witchers in the party but rather other oddities...

This could work but for how long? I mean how many different parties could be done with this idea without it resembling a freak circus? :D

Having said that, the world of the books is facinating, grim and brooding. So, maybe a one off sourcebook could work.

SnowDog said:
If I understood this correctly, there would be no witchers in the party but rather other oddities...

This could work but for how long? I mean how many different parties could be done with this idea without it resembling a freak circus? :D

Having said that, the world of the books is facinating, grim and brooding. So, maybe a one off sourcebook could work.

No, my idea would a be a Witcher and then a couple of other oddities.

What I am working on for my campaign is a DV setting without all the silly stuff, include insanity and fear, mix in some CoC and run it much more dark. Set in a High Medieval Period.

Magic should be rare and wonderfull. Everyone knows creatures of the night exist, same as everyone knows the world is flat. Every single unexplained thing is either from God or from forces of Darkness. You do start to see the introduction of Universities, the re discovery of a lot of missing greek knowledge. Pagans still exist, it the sunset of the Viking culture which some still pine for.

I hope it would be lots of fun.

The Deus Vult campaign I've been running has been deliberitely low-magic as well - and I find that works really well. Even hieromonks, who are trained to combat the supernatural - aren't sure where superstition ends and truth begins. Most of the foes they encounter are human - with all the nefarious ends that entails - and when they do fight something genuinely supernatural it gives them a fright and is (hopefully) quite memorable.

I've never interpretted DV as being anything like regular fantasy, but far grittier and more 'real'. That mood was probably firmly established when three members of the party failed to double-cross a group of templars and recovered consciousness just long enough to realise they'd been strung up from a tree... :twisted:

Back