Wayfarer

DV has extremely 'Assassin's Creed' feel to it mixed with the modern DaVinci Code type of mythology, conspiracy and pseudoscience.

I agree that the gadgets are a bit too much, they just seem silly and out of place. It's not that I don't like to mix history with fantasy, after all I GM Clockwork & Chivalry, for example. But they're easily ignored, and you can adjust the level of magic just as easily. There's some good stuff in there, even if you didn't use it as is, I feel. I am yet undecided whether to use DV as is, or just to spice my medieval/crusade campaign.

Can't say anything about Witcher series, for some odd reason I haven't picked those games up, even if like computer games. Dunno what it is, really?

Regarding the DV comments, I currently play DV, our GM weaves the intrigue/subterfuge in to the game extremely well. The players are their own worst enemies, sometimes overthinking what the GM was planned for us!

I'm not sure why some of the gadgets are thought of as 'silly', after all the whole idea of the setting is to inject that element of the supernatural and being able to battle it with some fantastic devices and against them, this is half the fun.

Think Leonardo Di Vinchi and how folks percieved his imagings, what if he and others had far more 'imaginative' stuff then we know and a campaign setting where these imaginings are realised? If you want a realistic setting then theres nothing stopping folks to just leave these gadget out, but I for one enjoy the idea that even back then we had a 'Torchwood' or 'X-files' type or organisation battling evil.

I have to agree with stewint. This is a great setting, even with 'silly' gadgets, and if run correctly can give many enjoyable hours play. I think it is a difference of playing style.

Back