Vuldrok Fleet

Anyway, regardless I trust Mongoose to get it figured out and set up in an appropriate manor. Even if the Vuldrok should prove to be a bit more "robust" than average, from long experience I know that an adjustment will be made at a future date after sufficient feedback has been received.

Case in point,

The Sagittarius Cruisers Priority Level adjustment.
The adjustment of the White Star weapon range as well as nervous other weapon tweaks to ships over the years.
The revamp of the fighters in Second edition so they would prove more true to the TV series.
Many other minor adjustment, additions, and clarifications.

By the time we have the full 10 fleets available to the community there is no doubt that some adjustment will need to take place to bring all the fleets into better relation to each other. Power creep is a classic problem with game design, as new ideas of how fleets might distinguish themselves from each other are introduced. This is very clearly seen in MMO's who upon released the various balanced sides often prove to be anything but. Do remember that this is something of a journey, Mongoose has again and again proven that they listen to the input from the community and their play-testers. However there is a time element involved. Just because there are a few loud voiced of dissension does not mean there is a problem. Much like my on-going argument that Raiders are too weak or there point cost too high. I have made this case, and others from the community have agreed to various degrees with me. But this is far from the whole community saying there is a problem. No doubt Mongoose will take time to examine the issue. Perhaps a future rule clarification or modification will make these vessels preform exactly as intended without need of adjusting there stats. Perhaps eventually the issues we have raised will be acknowledged as being valid and an appropriate adjustment will be made to rebalanced these ships. Regardless I have full faith in Mongoose and there desire to keep playable balance across all their fleets. Unlike "The British Game Company who MUST not be Named" Mongoose has never done the Unbeatable Fleet of the Month method of selling products. So please be patient.

Also worth pointing out that we are releasing the fleet lists, for free download, before the supplement itself comes out. There is a reason for that :)

There is also the consideration that not all the playtesters agree all the time. So Matt has to listen to a cocophany of arguing voices.

So I was considering the Kergan and there unique flavor of ship design. And I asked myself what kind of unique, or unorthodox vessel might the Vuldrok deploy? Which has brought me around to considering that they are Vikings. Which means they need fast yet powerful raider vessels. Able to chase down convoys, or quickly slip around more powerful military units to hit the worlds they are protecting if the Nobles mistakenly deploy them too close to the Gate to return and protect their planets.

Ship Concept: Vandal Fast Crusier

The Vandal is the nightmare of Known Space. Larger and more heavily armed than a destroyer, the Vandal sacrifices armor for better performance from its engines. While not able to go toe to toe with traditional cruisers, it none the less is more than a match for any vessel that can intercept it. Yet the primary purpose of this ship is to deliver its corsairs against helpless merchant vessels and planetary populations to loot and pillage, committing all the oldest sins in the newest of ways.

Game wise the Vandal is a 300 point ship, with 3 light turrets and a 12 inch move, but poor maneuverability. It should carry somewhere between 8-12 marines to accomplish its raiding and looting but nothing in the marauder category. Defensively it should be hull 5 as it should be able to deal with destroyers but it should not have any of the weapons normally associated with cruiser sized ships. Please note as I do not know what the Vuldrok's "Heavy Armor" is at present, yet the Vandal should posses less advantage here than it would normally as its gaining a huge speed advantage.

Well! seems like all I have done for the last week is talk about the future release of ACTA's: Star Fleet. Honestly not a bad way to spend a week but lest not forget...

The Vuldrok are coming! The Vuldrok are coming! *Runs for the hills*

By Odin's eye! the Vuldrok come, like rusty beaked crows of woe to pick at the dying bones of what you over dressed pampered fops call Known Space! So run you little sheep, flee in terror before your betters or stand and attempt to die like men though you've never truly seen one till now! The Vuldrok are here!

*Pokes his head out of hiding*

Any second now... there out there... I can smell them... there coming... any moment now...

*goes back into his hole*

So, now that we have the preview fleet list for the Vuldrok Star-Nation, maybe we can start wondering about how brutal your average Kurgan-Vuldrok fight might be?

EDIT: With no cruiser in the fleet list, that's quite a jump from the 180-point Langskip to the 600-point Slatra Konungr...

(And like the Kublai for the Kurgans, the Vuldrok DN has no prow-mounted Big Gun; but unlike the Kurgan ship, is not Lumbering, wow.)

Also: no fighters or carriers. Good to see; I would have been somewhat bothered if every human faction ended up using them.

Nerroth said:
EDIT: With no cruiser in the fleet list, that's quite a jump from the 180-point Langskip to the 600-point Slatra Konungr...

Also: no fighters or carriers. Good to see; I would have been somewhat bothered if every human faction ended up using them.

They are kind of an all or nothing fleet :)

Holy crap. They are AWESOME! I mean, yes their range sucks... but that armor ability is just fantastic. Shields that don't go away unless you crit them off, wow. I love that they have 2 frigate class ships too. Very interesting fleet! I'm definitely preordering these guys now. The Kurgan just didn't excite me at all, but these guys certainly have.

Ah! at last, the runes said they were coming, now I have but to order them and the runes say they will play wonderfully! The runes also say I need to get a Dreadnought and chose a slightly different paint job than yellow.

Yeah... I like the paint job for what it is, but not for the Voldrok themselves. I think I'll go with a theme of ice and cold.

The slug guns can be interesting. Once you get close enough to strip shields with shells, they really can hurt.

And some of their runes are very, very useful.

I still say these guys need some kind of Fast Cruiser in the mix, somewhere in the 300 point range. But I confess I'm very excited, I think I have found the Fleet I want to play. Now to do something about the "Bad Moon" paint job. Im thinking I'm going to go with light brown with dark brown markings.

ATM i'm thinkling about what to do against the Vuldrok with al-Malik, Hawkwood or Li Halan in smaller point games. Multihit weapons seem to be needed against the armor rule. Decados and some Hazat have enough to overcome armor, but the others... (especially frigates and destroyers)...
Decados has the firepower and Hazat the manpower to fight the Vuldrok, the rest seems lacking in the "smaller than cruiser" range.

I fought some small battles frigaet to destroyer scale and did some math afterwards. My test battles went were devastating for the known worlds. (i rolled quite average, most times even a bit above average). Correct me if i'm wrong or made a mistake with the rules.

The Hadruk has armor 2, so before this is critted away all those AD 2 non-multihit weapons can't damage it. Even ganging up does't help because the strengts of those small turrets (burnout or slow) is negated.
The Hornet costs the same and it's Missiles won't damage the Hadruk. On average 2,7 hit are scored with my AD 4 Lasers, so i do 1 Dam (and maybe crit). No real softening up untill they come into range to fire those guns or board. 5 AD slugs is on average 3,3 hits , so 3 possible Damage (6-3).
The Griffin has the same problems against a Langskip. Useless Missiles thanks to armor 3 and on average 3,5 hits with the lasers. So again 1 Dam.
The Longskip then does 2 hits with the turret and 1,5 with the sideguns. So 2 possible dam if not in range for the burnout ammo. If i am, i use it with the turret, ripping the shilds apart with 6 hits scoring 2 possible dam and then 4,5 possible dam with the sideguns. 6 possible dam so on average 5 damage.

al-Malik is even worse, because the have nearly no muli-hit weapons. The same for the Spider vs Hadruk and the Efreets rockets won't do dam on average, with 6s needed against the langskip.

Li Halans Iskati will do about 1-2 points of damage and Dragon? Same as the Griffin...

And i dont think mass bombers is effektive. They kill some ships, but the others will be in range of the carriers before they are re-armed...

Thoughts?

Yes, bombers are good, sadly, the heavy fighters of Decados and Li Halan suck against them. A non Hazat carrier with full bombers is 310 points. So in a 500 point game i have this and a destroyer and nothing else. Against 5 Hadruk or 4 Froljir this might work.

The most powerfull bomber, the al-Malik Mumit scores about 3 hit against them so 4 dam against a Hadruk and 3 against a Froljir. So 8 bombers might kill 2 ships. If they ca re-arm in time they will win, if not, the Vuldrok will board them an win.

If they are up against a Lagskip even the Mumit stands no real chance. Hull 5 is big even against guided torpedoes. We will get about 2 hits with multihit 2 so against armor 3 its 1 point of damage. (The other nations bombers won't do any damage on average, the Kestel might do 1 point). Even if they hit with all 4 AD, ist "just" 5 damage. So we will need all of our 8 bombers to kill the Langskip. The rest of the Vuldrok will get to the carrier and board it and the rest of the fleet.

Still, need more playtesting, because i WILL get the Vuldrok, but i fear my opponents won't play agaist them, if bombers are the only choice :(

I think these are reasonable concerns. However I know Matt has some good play-testers so many of these issues were probably worked out. Its just going to be a matter of getting into real games, and away from what things look like on paper, which can be deceiving.

However things do slip through like the raiders which are still to undergunned for there point value

Back