Versatility

slaughterj

Mongoose
Barbarians get the special ability Versatility at 1st and 7th level which says "In effect, he is proficient with all weapons." Later levels of Versatility apply to melee weapons, however. I'm pretty sure 1st and 7th include all ranged weapons (i.e., include all 4 exotic bows), but if anyone thinks otherwise, please post.

I believe that it applies to all weapons including exotic ones, ranged or otherwise. You're right in that the level 14 and 20 features are explicitly stated to only apply to melee weapons. That they make that clarification there and not before strengthens my understanding that it also works for ranged weapons.

That's what I figured, but figured it was good to check. So much for all those years of training necessary to wield a particular exotic bow, eh?

slaughterj said:
That's what I figured, but figured it was good to check. So much for all those years of training necessary to wield a particular exotic bow, eh?

Or the tears of training to weild any exotic weapon ;o)

he whole point of it is barbarians echew formal training and get by on there instincts.

jadrax said:
slaughterj said:

Or the tears of training to weild any exotic weapon ;o)

he whole point of it is barbarians echew formal training and get by on there instincts.

That was more of a jab at the recent thread on proficiencies and having to get each separate exotic bow proficiency... :wink:

slaughterj said:
That was more of a jab at the recent thread on proficiencies and having to get each separate exotic bow proficiency... :wink:
:D
I don't know, though; jamming a shin-bone into someones throat I can easily imagine being done on gut instinct, but firing a bow that requires a technique so complex that it takes most folks years to perfect... doesn't seem so instinctual to me.

Anyway, I'll stop pestering you decent folks now, and crawl back to my own thread on bow proficiencies... :wink:

Trodax said:
slaughterj said:
:D
I don't know, though; jamming a shin-bone into someones throat I can easily imagine being done on gut instinct, but firing a bow that requires a technique so complex that it takes most folks years to perfect... doesn't seem so instinctual to me.

Anyway, I'll stop pestering you decent folks now, and crawl back to my own thread on bow proficiencies... :wink:

Exactly. But hey, it's a game!

slaughterj said:
Barbarians get the special ability Versatility at 1st and 7th level which says "In effect, he is proficient with all weapons." Later levels of Versatility apply to melee weapons, however. I'm pretty sure 1st and 7th include all ranged weapons (i.e., include all 4 exotic bows), but if anyone thinks otherwise, please post.

No, it'd be anything Simple or Martial. Any weapon clasified as exotic has to have it's own EWP to use withotu penalty, and the Versatility class feature wouldn't override that.

Sutek said:
slaughterj said:

No, it'd be anything Simple or Martial. Any weapon clasified as exotic has to have it's own EWP to use withotu penalty, and the Versatility class feature wouldn't override that.

Woot?
Barbarian is already (withouth versatility) proficient with _all_ simple and martial weapons at 1st level (just like borderer, solider, nomad and noble... even thief is proficient with all simple and 1-handed martial weapons)

Versatilitys special effects at 1st and 7th levels give their bonuses (-2 or no penalty) to exotic weapons, which are only weapons he isn't already proficient with.

Sutek said:

I'll echo Korppis.

The Versatility class feature explicitly states that it works for all weapons "including exotic weapons". It does override the need for Exotic Weapon Proficiencies.

Hmm...I guess I never noticed it before. Cross polinating D&D with Conan.

Sorry bout that...

Back