VaS-Ship Conversion Info from the Designer's Notes

sgtnogo

Mongoose
Hello,

I just purchased VaS and love it. It has just the right mix of playability and detail. I have 2 questions that rules don't explain:

1. Scale: in the rules, scale only discusses the size of the models. I have deduced that 1" = 1000yards (approximately), is this correct and how long is a turn in actual time?

2. Ship Data Conversion: Some of the ship data conversion seems inconsistant. But, its important to understand the designers intent inorder to add to playable units. Example: The Secondary Armament of the Atlanta Class light cruiser is the 5"/38cal DP, it shows a range of 17", this is the same weapon mounted on the Fletcher Class destroyer and most U.S. Battleships, but the range varies from 10-12 inches. Is there a way to get the designers notes for ship conversion so that I can create units that there are no profiles for (at least currently)?

Thanks,

Hi there,

1. There is no set /strict scale for range. We have a baseline, but there is also a 'design factor' included to take into account the quality of ship and crew.

2. Again, no set system. There is a baseline (as there is with big guns), but secondary weapons also have a design factor built in, mainly because of their diversity.

In case you think we just pulled numbers out of the air though (!), there are straight formulae for Target, Armour, Speed, etc. . .

Matthew,

This is a well thought out system, so there is no suspicion on my part that you conjured numbers out of the air. Was curious in the diffences though.

Back to the question on scale, what is the time scale in the game, 1 Turn = ?

Can you share the formula, again with interest being in producing more units. Or is there an intent to publish another book of ship templates?

How was the AA factor for each ship determined?

Bob

There is noi set time scale for turns.

We may publish the various formulae in S&P in the future. . .

Back