Using the parry DV for ranged attacks

I have not yet finished the combat section of the book, but i was a little confused as to where I can use the parry bonus. If someone shoots at me can i deflect that with a sword? or a lance for example? it doesnt seem right. Also, do shields give me bonuses against ranged attacks? I noticed one of the NPC pirates at the back of the book had an added bonus to ranged attacks due to his shield.

Also is it just me or should there be more example NPC's in the back of the book? the star wars core book had like 50 npc's you could just throw at the party.

Shields give a parry bonus against melee attacks, and a dodge bonus against ranged attacks.

You can parry or dodge a melee attack.

You can only dodge a ranged attack, although I'm sure there will be eventually be a feat that allows you to parry ranged attacks (Slice Arrow, or something).

Does that help?

Other questions regarding parry:

- Can you parry without a weapon? I am considering a -2 penalty to Parry if you try to parry without a weapon.

- In Black Stones of Kovag Re, could you parry the attack of the black stones? Has anyone ever judged an opponent so big that parrying is not possible.

thanks, that did help. In your question regarding parrying without a weapon... I would think you couldnt use the parry DV with your fists. It just wouldnt make sense...maybe if the npc attacking you was also using his hands, anything else and you would just lose various limbs blocking an axe attack for example.

Hal said:
Other questions regarding parry:

- Can you parry without a weapon? I am considering a -2 penalty to Parry if you try to parry without a weapon.

- In Black Stones of Kovag Re, could you parry the attack of the black stones? Has anyone ever judged an opponent so big that parrying is not possible.

Sure, you can parry without a weapon, but that means it's your own arm getting the hit. This is most effectively done buy trying to reach under the opponent's weapon and knock thier wrist away, sort of martial arts style, but ninjas, it is claimed, could catch an incoming blow by snatching the blade of their attacker's sword. Even being quick enough to bat the blade aside is feasible. Just remember that unarmed attacks against an armed foe grant that foe an Attack of Opportunity.

I dont' know what the attack of the Black Stones is, but I'd have to say that size categories could be used as could STR bonus. For instance, a Size Category 2 greater would cancel a target's ability to use it's Parry as would a STR modifier of 2 times the target's STR modifier. However, it's sort of figured into the combat system, isn't it? I mean, Stronger opponents will be capable of getting hits in spite of target Parry values.

I'm only online for a minute here but thought I would throw this in to help:

Conan AE - Parrying
"It is possible to to deflect blows without having an item in your hand; however, if a character is completely unarmed, he receives a -4 penalty to his Parry Defence. Characters with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat count as armed for the purpose of using Parry Defence."

Back