Using the Gary Gigax's Necropolis for a Conan campaign

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
I know the Necropolis campaign is for high level (10-18th) but did anyone buy it with the purpose to adapt it to his Conan campaign?
Gary Gigax is well known for his deadly dungeon crawls and I read this campaign was no exception and akin to tomb of horrors.
My question is merely this one: is it possible to compare a high level D&D3.0 campaign to a high level OGL Conan one? I mean the HPs and Armor Class systems are quite different and death comes already very quickly with Conan.

There are a couple of threads here, if you search for them.

I ran the whole thing, having my players create 12th level Conan characters, and they reached 14th level by the end of it. There was a fair amount of tweaking involved in terms of converting creatures over and rewriting spellcasters as scholars. A lot more than just renaming "Khemit" to "Stygia".

We had fun, though. My notes are here (pdf) and my D20-to-Conan conversion rules are here.

Alive? Yes. But also very Corrupt. They did a lot of talking and attempted negotiations with demons and cultists, drawn forward by greed and the promises of great treasure. With assorted "mummy curses" and cursed items and traps throughout the adventure, I made them make Corruption saves in lieu of some of the D&D spell-like effects. One character, a Zingaran pirate of all things, ended the campaign with something like 7 or 8 points of corruption, looking skeletal and down in Str but up in Dex, and as a special effect I gave him a chronic dry cough -- every time he coughs, a small puff of sand comes out. His crew was scared to death of him before....

SPOILERS
I'm giving away plot point and encounter info below, so avert thine eyes if you don't want to know.
I kept "strange creature" encounters down to 1 per game session to keep things from being monster-heavy and more in the spirit of Howard's Conan. I replaced a lot of smaller creatures with really big snakes, or crocodiles, or other "natural" creatures.

The 7 Magic Artifacts weren't magical at all, just ceremonial items, but I kept the players guessing about that -- every time they though about trying to figure out how to use one, I reminded them of Corruption saves and asked how many point they thought a major artifact would inflict upon their souls.

I got rid of all but 2 spellcasters, Rahotep himself and the priest of Set in the village (who kept coming back and following them through later encounters and adventures, heh heh, I loved spending that point and not allowing the players to find a body).

The werecreatures I turned into cultists and thieves in masks trying to scare off graverobbers from Rahotep's tomb, using sneaky commando tactics to psych the players out rather than fighting head-on, but no one knew that until the killed one and unmasked him.

a couple of questions for you, Uncle Bear

1) This seems to be a huge dungeon crawl is that not true?

2) How heavy is the magic in this It seems to have more standard D&D type traps and monsters then Conan would have

3) How do you deal with the lack of healing in conan as opposed to the D&D "Cleric- Medic"?

By the way I am currently using your magic rules for converting d20 to conan

bolen said:
a couple of questions for you, Uncle Bear

1) This seems to be a huge dungeon crawl is that not true?

Not true, in my opinion. The initial encounters are in a village, and there are multiple outdoor encounters getting to the tomb. Once you finally get to Rahotep's tomb, that's closer to a traditional dungeon crawl, but that's maybe 25% - 30% of the overall campaign.

Gary Gygax has a good plot that captures the old sword and sorcery feel, and it flows a lot like a Howard story.

bolen said:
2) How heavy is the magic in this It seems to have more standard D&D type traps and monsters then Conan would have

It's magic-heavy but I was able to work around it, as noted in another post. I did have to tweak some traps that were either magic-based or featured tech that just didn't feel right in an Egyp... um, Stygian tomb. A lot of the monsters were abominations or demons anyway, so they fit in with Howard. I turned a lot of the monsters into large animals or cultists and tried to keep the weird creature appearance to one per session.

bolen said:
3) How do you deal with the lack of healing in conan as opposed to the D&D "Cleric- Medic"?

I allowed them to use the village they more or less begin in as a base of operations. Because it's not one endless dungeon crawl, they could go back and rest periodically and heal up naturally. before proceding to the next segment.

bolen said:
By the way I am currently using your magic rules for converting d20 to conan

Thanks! I hope you're enjoying it and that it's working well for you.

Back