Using Runequest to run Tribe 8

johnmarron

Mongoose
Crossposted from RPGNet

I had planned to run some Deus Vult for my group once our latest game ended, but what had been planned as a 3-4 session game stretched out into 12 weeks. My gamer ADD kicked in and I lost some enthusiasm for running DV. I was casting about for another setting to use RQ with. I've been pondering doing an Ice Age game, but some comment on here a couple of days ago made me think of Tribe 8, one of my all time favorite settings.

I've run two long, successful, and fun games in the setting, both using alternate rules (D6 and OTE), so I know it can be done. For the RQ conversion, I came up with backgrounds based on each of the seven tribes to replace the cultural backgrounds in core RQ, and they were quick and easy to whip up using the ideas from a thread on these forums. I'll use the professions as presented in the core book, tweaking a little if necessary, although most look fine.

Next, I considered magic. Tribe 8 has a magic system called synthesis, which is a very freeform, dream based style of magic. The setting also includes lots of spirits. I find that magic is always the biggest stumbling block for me in converting a setting to another rules set, and it proved so here as well. I decided to not try and replicate Synthesis exactly as presented in Tribe 8 (none of my players are familiar with the setting, so won't know the difference). I decided that everyone will start with a Synthesis skill (which will be Common Magic renamed) at base. This will represent little rituals, charms, and Fatimal blessings. Players can add the usual 30 points of free points to this skill if they want, and get 1 Magnitude of Common Magic spells per full 10 of Synthesis skill they end up with, with the spells chosen to reflect the themes of their tribal or Fallen Outlook eminences. Less freeform, but still keeps to the various group themes.

For other magic in the setting, the "priests" of the Fatimas (which a player could play a fallen one of) get Divine Magic. If anyone opts to play an ex-priest, I'll have to work out how getting their spells back works, since they'll have a hard time getting back to a "temple". "Shamans" (which could be any character that deals with the spirit world) gets Spirit Magic. The Z'bri and Keepers will use Sorcery to represent Sundering and Technosmithing respectively.

I realize that the magic will not map one-to-one with T8 magic this way, but its easy and I think will still maintain a lot of the feel.

I knocked up a couple of test characters yesterday. I did an ex-Evan Nanny (sort of a guard/hunter) whose Synthesis allowed him to call animals to him, improve his bow shots, and move easily through tangled terrain. I also did an ex-Magdelite Diplomat/Spy, whose Synthesis helped her determine if someone was lying to her, and boosted her Charisma up to a whopping 20, which made all of her seduction and other charisma-based skills better for 5 minutes.

I'm very psyched about the game, since it combines my new fave rules with one of my favorite settings. I like the grittiness of the RQ rules, and I think the Spirit Magic will help maintain the spiritual feel of the setting.

John

Tribe 8 is a favourite setting of mine as well, though I've never played it - and likely won't play it in the foreseeable future :( . I'm curious to see what you come up with!

Other sourcebooks and supplements have different kinds of magic systems. If memory serves, Vikings has magic based on runes, songs, divination. Blood Magic will have... blood magic I guess (Z'bri magic?) :) and so on. Perhaps there's something in Elric "Dream Realms" that might work nicely (I don't know much about Elric so maybe not).

The various magic systems, and how they can mix and match into different cultures is what makes Mongoose RuneQuest II the system for me!

johnmarron said:
I like the grittiness of the RQ rules, and I think the Spirit Magic will help maintain the spiritual feel of the setting.

Languagegeek said:
The various magic systems, and how they can mix and match into different cultures is what makes Mongoose RuneQuest II the system for me!

My sentiments exactly. Though I have to admit, I feel as though I've been locked in a dark, dingy dungeon all my life as I haven't heard of half the settings and systems that get bandied about in the forums.

Me and another GM in our group got fed up with D&D in it's various incarnations, because of the changes they kept making to the systems and the fact that it was extremely difficult once PC's got to a certain level, to provide challenging, balanced encounters without ramping up the level of the opponents to insane levels. He started a Warhammer Fantasy Role-play game, I started RQ.

The thing I like about a RQ and to a lesser degree BRP, is the flexibility of the systems. In fact, the reason I chose RQ was because it was already 'tweaked' for the type of game I wanted to run (dark fantasy, s&s) and BRP would have required too much work with optional rules etc (I'm basically a lazy so-and-so). Warhammer isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of the Careers progression system, others like it, but I find it too restricting - even more so than D&D.

We did character generation for this game last night, and I think the Runequest rules are going to work fine for the setting.

Here are the characters we ended up with:

Cyrus Filio Auberkin, 18 yo Male Ex-Yagan Flesher who hates the Fatimas but loved his dog
(Name TBD), 17 yo Male ex-Joanite Hermit Blade
Zhaan Triste, 14 yo Male Ex-Agnite Shaman, a foundling raised by the Agnites
Sabine, 19yo Female Ex-Joanite Hunter
(Name TBD), 19yo Male Ex-Magdalite Diplomat, Exiled for attempted incest
Jayde Terrabonkin, 18 yo Female Ex-Evan Farmer, whose touch can maim
Murmur de Bone (don't ask...), 18 yo Male Ex-Yagan Bonecrafter, visited by ghosts and spirits

The Tribal cultural backgrounds I worked up seemed to produce characters that made sense for each tribe, and the basic RQ professions covered everything we needed very well. Given that one player chose to play a shaman, I need to read up on Spirit Magic and the articles in S&P to get a better handle on how it works.

Next week, we find our newly Fallen staked out in a lonely forest clearing on the borders of the H'l Kar...

John

languagegeek said:
Looks pretty cool. Are you playing part of the Tribe 8 metaplot or just using the setting?

I don't have a lot of time to write adventures, so I'm going to use a lot of the metaplot. I'm starting them off with the adventure "Circle and Cell" found here:

http://wickedink.spaceanddeath.com/

which I've used to start T8 campaigns with before to good effect. Then we'll go into "Enemy of My Enemy" from the weaver's screen, possibly followed by "And Justice for All" from the website (a nice adventure to highlight the "building a new society" theme for Hom), and then into Children of Lilith.

John

johnmarron said:
I'm starting them off with the adventure "Circle and Cell"

That looks like a great idea, I've always wondered how to start of Tribe 8. Please keep updating this thread as the adventure continues!

Back