Using OGL Horror as a d20 Modern Toolkit

jaerdaph

Mongoose
While OGL Horror is a great game on its own, I thought I'd share some of my notes for importing some of the rules into d20 Modern games.

Using Horror Saves and Ties in d20 Modern

Since some features in the rules for Horror Saves refer to Ties, both sets of rules need to be included in a d20 Modern game.

Ties
The OGL Horror rules for Ties can easily be transported into a d20 Modern game and used “as is” simply by adding the following two feats from OGL Horror:

Extra Ties
Loner (This feat also affects Horror Saves – see below)

Action Points and Ties: Characters cannot spend both an Action Point and the extra d10 granted by Ties on the same check.

Horror Saves
All the rules found in the Fear and Loathing chapter of OGL Horror (rules for Horror Saves and Shock points) can be easily imported into a d20 Modern game with a few modifications. The following feats from OGL Horror need to be added to the d20 Modern feat list (any necessary modifications are in parentheses):

Alternate Approach (change the prerequisite from Strong Willed to Iron Will)
Combat Training
Commanding Voice
Fearless (See Ordinary People Horror Save Modifier below)
Loner
Selective Ignorance (See Scholar Class Horror Save Modifier below)
Steady Nerves (See Combatant Class Horror Save Modifier below)

In OGL Horror, different people react differently to the three types of Horror Saves – Panic, Fear, and Madness. Three of the four classes found in OGL Horror have an associated penalty or modification to one of these types of Horror Saves. A character always has the penalty or modification of the class he starts in even if he later takes levels in another class. Since d20 Modern uses different classes than OGL Horror, the penalty or modification to a particular type of Horror Save is based on the d20 Modern starting occupation rather than starting class, and the character will always have that particular penalty or modification.

The following d20 Modern starting occupations use the OGL Horror Combatant class Horror (Panic) Save Modifier: Adventurer, Athlete, Criminal, Emergency Services, and Military. The following starting occupation from The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin’s Modern Player’s Companion uses the OGL Horror Combatant class Horror (Panic) Save Modifier: Tribal. The following starting occupations from d20 Future use the OGL Horror Combatant class Horror (Panic) Save Modifier: Astronaut Trainee, Gladiator, and Scavenger.
Characters with these starting occupations may not select the Steady Nerves feat until they become Level 4 characters.

The following d20 Modern starting occupations use the OGL Horror Scholar class Horror (Madness) Save Modifier: Academic, Creative, and Religious. The following starting occupation from The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin’s Modern Player’s Companion uses the OGL Horror Scholar class Horror (Madness) Save Modifier: Bohemian. The following starting occupation from d20 Future uses the OGL Horror Scholar class Horror (Madness) Save Modifier: Drifter.
Characters with these starting occupations may not select the Selective Ignorance feat until they become Level 4 characters.

The following d20 Modern starting occupations use the OGL Horror Ordinary People Horror (Fear) Save Modifier: Blue Collar, Celebrity, Dilettante, Entrepreneur, Rural, Student, Technician, and White Collar. The following starting occupations from The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin’s Modern Player’s Companion use the OGL Horror Ordinary People Horror (Fear) Save Modifier: Bureaucrat, Craftsperson, Domestic, Educator, and Politico. The following starting occupations from d20 Future use the OGL Horror Ordinary People Horror (Fear) Save Modifier: Colonist and Heir.
Characters with these starting occupations may not select the Fearless feat until they become Level 4 characters.

The following d20 Modern starting occupations have no Horror Save Modifier like members of the OGL Horror Investigative class: Doctor, Investigative, and Law Enforcement. No starting occupations from The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin’s Modern Player’s Companion lack a Horror Save Modifier like members of the OGL Horror Investigative class. The following d20 Future starting occupations have no Horror Save Modifier like members of the OGL Horror Investigative class: Outcast and Transporter.

Action Points and Horror Saves: Characters cannot use Action Points to improve Horror Saves.

The last thing that needs to be done is to add a Horror entry to any monsters you may use in your d20 Modern game. This entry lists the type(s) of Horror Save with the Difficulty Class this monster prompts. See the Monsters chapter in OGL Horror for the rules for determining Horror Save DC. The sample monsters in the chapter (especially the ones that correspond to the monsters in d20 Modern) can be used as examples.

Joe Bardales

The above post updated 5/28/04 with rules for using Action Points with Ties and Horror Saves. Updates in blue.

Here's my notes on how Skills and Feats differ from d20 Modern in OGL Horror.

I'm posting them for two reasons - one because it's helpful to know where d20 Modern and OGL Horror differ when you want to use material from one game with the other, and two because I've seen a lot of baseless criticism of OGL Horror lately that it is merely a "cut and paste" of the Modern SRD, and that simply isn't true.

SKILLS

The following highlights the differences between skills in d20 Modern and OGL Horror:

Computer Use: Trained Only in OGL Horror
Craft (visual art): OGL Horror contains new rules for raising Reputation score based on works created with this skill.
Craft (writing): OGL Horror contains new rules for raising Reputation score based on works created with this skill.
Drive: Trained Only in OGL Horror.
Forgery: Some Trained Only in OGL Horror.
Intimidate: The player may choose either Charisma or Strength as the associated ability score for this skill.
Investigate: Two new uses for this skill in OGL Horror – Organize Search and Reconstruction.
Knowledge: Some Trained Only in OGL Horror. Knowledge (appraisal) becomes its own, separate skill in OGL Horror. Knowledge (arcane lore) becomes Knowledge (occult) in OGL Horror.

FEATS

The following feats from d20 Modern are not found in OGL Horror:

Advanced Two-Weapon Fighting1
Armor Proficiency (Medium)2
Frightful Presence

1 Prerequisite BAB +11, but OGL Horror is only a 10 character level maximum game
2 Light and Medium Armor lists are merged under Light Armor in OGL Horror

The following feats are renamed in OGL Horror:

Heroic Surge becomes Adrenaline Surge
Iron Will becomes Strong Willed

The following feats are new in OGL Horror:

Alternate Approach1
Combat Training1
Commanding Voice1
Contact
Custodian2
Extra Ties3
Fearless1
Impromptu Weapon Proficiency
Linguist
Loner1, 3
Ludicrously Rich
Pulling Strings2
Selective Ignorance1
Skill Focus
Steady Nerves1

1 Related to Horror Checks
2 Related to Organizations, Cults and Conspiracies
3 Related to Ties

It's been awhile since I've updated this and shared my notes, so here goes!

If you go to the very first post in this thread, you'll see I've updated my notes for using Horror Saves in d20 Modern to now include starting occupations from The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin's Modern Player's Companion and WotC's d20 Future (because in space, nobody can hear you scream!) Updates in GREEN.

Coming soon - using rules for Organizations in d20 Modern, and more notes on how characters differ in OGL Horror from d20 Modern...

Well, yeah I mean it only makes sense... but why stop at D20 Modern? Why not use the monsters from the D&D game. To expand your world that you've started and enhance the Horror. You could use any Monster and/or template in any Monster Manual and just use your best judgement when adjusting the HD and specal abilities to ensure a tough encounter. It can be done if you just want to see more action in your games, or just to have some fun with the players emotions. I mean I can't be the only one thats thought of this, right?

NoBody said:
I mean I can't be the only one thats thought of this, right?

Well, duh! That's kind of the entire point of the d20/OGL license - being able to port stuff from one d20 game into another d20 game with minimal to no tweaking/conversion. :)

Welcome to the boards, BTW!

Back