Ultra light small craft: teaser,proposed releases: Feedback and suggestions requested

wbnc

Cosmic Mongoose
Currently, this is material I am considering publishing under the TAS line.

I am in the final stages of getting organized and finalizing several projects I have been working on for over three years. Since the Commercial vessel submission I had written, rewritten and finalized has been released back to be to publish myself if I desired.

I have decided it might be best to break the book down into smaller bites so I can devote more space and give more detail to each section. I started off with modules, and small craft since they are a subject that has received little attention.

whenI began I looked over what was available and found that there were not that many to choose fro and most were pretty much stock standard, with little in variety ,or detailed in any way. So I decided to fix that little hole in available material.
Here are two samples with art, stat blocks, and fluff text as they stand now.

Yes there may be some tyos and my numbers may need to be addressed but thats why i have a person to speil chack and audit my stuff.

5 ton Ultra fast:
5_ton_ultra_high_speed_transport_by_wbyrd-daanh4p.png

5_ton_ultra_fast_statbloc_by_wbyrd-daani0n.png

5 ton Ultrahigh Thrust Personal Transport.

This small pod pushes its drives to the limit of readily available technology. Using advanced drives and power plants in addition this craft can out accelerate any conventional starship and most fighters. It can sustain its impressive acceleration for six hours before depleting it's internal fuel reserves then cruise on its gravitics at a still respectable pace.

With the reaction drives fully fueled, and operating at peak power the pod can reach orbiting platforms in minutes, and nearby worlds in hours. It is unarmored and lightly constructed, but the high acceleration allows it to outmaneuver and out pace anything in the sky.

The most common use for these pods is as a race pods. they are often purchased, modified and flown by professional and amateur competitors in staged events in multiple systems. they perform high risk maneuver at high speeds, to gain an edge over other pilots inn preplanned courses that include challenging obstacles in varying environments. This models large fuel reserve and small size make it a popular basis for custom modifications.

It is also used as a personal transport, or as a high speed priority messenger craft for in system operations. while it has no room for passengers or cargo, the pilot can hand carry documents, communications, and small data caches in the cockpit.

Only the physical endurance of the pilot limits the effective range of the craft. Even with a standard 24 hour internal reserve of life support the pod can reach nearby, and more remote points in the system well before the pilots supply is exhausted.If the pilot is properly equipped with additional personal breathing gear the limited life support of the small cockpit poses no limitation on the pilot.

This is one of the few craft of this size that is suitable for use by military and security forces. In a scouting role the craft can quickly conduct close range inspection of potential threats, and escape before the enemy can take any effective steps to counter it. These missions are high risk and require skilled pilots to use these small craft as tactical scouts.
It is usually armed for self defense with a very advanced pulse laser.If pushed into a fight the sheer agility of the craft makes it a dangerous opponent for anything fast enough to catch it. However usually the pilot will rely on raw speed, and the six hour reserve of reaction mass to survive attack. Instead of fighting the pilot will usually simply throw the engines to full burn and leave pursuit far behind.

Security forces may use flights of these craft as pursuit craft. the ability to take off after a suspect ship has departed a local starport, and quickly overtake the target before it can reach the jump limit is extremely valuable to security forces. The presence of several armed craft mounting weapons that can penetrate the light armor of most commercial vessels is sometimes enough for a suspect vessel to surrender rather than risk coming under fire from a flight of fighters it can't possibly outrun.

Options
Streamlined center mount cargo pod:
the size of the craft limits its usefulness, however, aftermarket pods are available for this craft. The slow the craft greatly but it can still outpace most commercial vessels, and smallcraft. The pod holds a four ton cargo box as well as clams to mate with the Transport Pod, it is non powered and has no life support of its own but it allows for a small amount of cargo, or additional fuel to be transported by the craft.

In some models of the pod a small sleeping area with a bunk and primitive fresher are installed, it allows a relief pilot or passenger to ride in the pod, although it is cramped, often cold, and has a tendency to pick up the smell after a few days.
5 ton streamlined centerline Module: Cost Mcr 0.56

Streamlined,Light, non gravity Hull
Hull 1
Power: 0
4 tons cargo
1 ton docking clamp( used to secure the pod to the craft.)
Reduces max thrust to 50% of maximum when carried. can be carried into atmosphere but the craft loses the advantages of Aerofins, when the module is carried.

The pod can be jettisoned in one round but requires a crewman to carry out an EVA to reattach the pod afterward.

10 ton Utility Pod
10_ton_utility_pod_by_wbyrd-daangew.png

10_ton_utility_statbloc_by_wbyrd-daanid8.png

10 Ton Utility Pod
A stretched version of the 5 ton pod. It's power systems drives and sensors are identical to the smaller pod but it has a built-in docking clamp, and push guard for handling cargo, and maneuvering cargo and acting as a Tug for other vessels and modules.

The drives reactor, control systems ad sensors are identical to the smaller version allowing pilots to switch between modules with no need to learn a new set of controls. It has an extended rear section that can hold small amounts of cargo or passengers depending on the needs of the operator.

Most often it is fitted with fold down benches along the walls of the rear area which can be folded up to allow the area to be used for cargo when no passengers are carried. the benches are extremely uncomfortable for long flights, but they offer full protection to the passenger should the pod be subjected to violent changes in acceleration due to impacts or malfunctioning gravitics.

Like the smaller module, the 10 ton module is fitted with drives capable of handling a 30 ton module. It's drives are somewhat limited by technological limitations forcing the pod to have a maximum acceleration of 6 Gees when unburdened.

It is stable in both gravity wells, and atmosphere but the addition of the docking clamp and push guard make it impractical for Aerofins to be attached. resulting in slightly less satisfactory performance in an atmosphere.

It is slightly more robust than it's smaller relative, but it is no ore suitable for combat than any other craft of its size. Even when armed it is a wholly unacceptable combat craft.

Even though it has the potential to carry missile racks which give it longer range and the option of carrying a wide variety of ordnance in an internal magazine, It can not match the performance or protection of purpose built combat craft.

Currently I have
5ton
10 ton
20 ton

Larger small craft to follow as son as I clear my plate a little...the great thing about my situation is all I have to do is work on this stuff to keep from going stir crazy.

Currently, for each size category there are transport/utility work pod, combat, and racing pod versions statted out with write up.

I also have Drone, and taxi pods in process. But I am waiting on the final release of High Gard so I can make sure my ships are not going to clash with the final releases. They exist in MgT 1e form already sincei orginally put them together as part of a submission for that system.

My current plans are to release
Modules: ranging from 5 to 500 tons for various purposes, with examples and deck plans, game use suggestions, and plot seeds involving several types ( that will be a repeating pattern)
Pods: similar to the ones above. but a total of fifteen or so designs...

larger Small craft: 50 to 100 tons: similar in form to the previous work.including dropships, shuttles, and fighters

Light starships 100 to 500 ton. cargo, transport, merc, and combat Ships

Medium: 500 to 1000 ton, cargo ships, tankers, tow ships, modular vessels, jump tugs,and container ships, and combat vessels

Heavy Starships:2000 to 5000 tons: this would include ships following the pattern of the previous sections, but would include corvettes, frigates, and patrol ships since they are far more likely to be encountered than capital ships. and would be suitable for a Military campaign with a small group.

Currently i have no plans o devote a great deal of time to capital ships such as cruisers, battleships, and dreadnoughts. I need to refine those ideas and want to focus on smaller vessels that would be encountered on a more frequent basis in a normal campaign.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE GET FEEDBACK ON IS:

Intrest: yay, nay, am I friking daft?
Is the art, text, and stat material, plus the game use suggestions and plot seeds what you would like to see in a published item.
How useful do you think this would e to you as a player or Ref.
a size ( page count,number of vessels or craft, and volume of information) you think is a good target for a suppliment.currently my idea is 12-15 ships with a detialed example of each for use as a prop or drop in guest staring role.
How much you would be willing to invest in the products.( keep in mind free is a great idea but I have to try and get something back for my time and recover the cost of aspirin, antacid, and coffee)

Nice!

There are lots of starships, but far fewer well-designed small craft.

Useful:
Artwork
Stats
Description/Story

Less useful:
Plot seed

AnotherDilbert said:
Nice!

There are lots of starships, but far fewer well-designed small craft.

Useful:
Artwork
Stats
Description/Story

Less useful:
Plot seed

Thanks for that,

I started building shp to fill holes in the printed material for my own games....after a while using the same things over and over and over, with no variety on the lower end got old. So following good advice from when I ran a junks store.....which was if you would buy it someone else will too:D ( although this has proven to be only partially accurate...no one wants my collection of antique waffle irons) I went to work.

I figured that if I wanted more small stuff...so would other people.

I agree, it's a niche that could use some extra craft in it. And it's nice to have artwork too.

For the smaller 5 tonners, the idea is that they should have short 'legs', right? So wouldn't you want to dial back how long they are meant to be operating before requiring refueling?

The smaller 5 ton craft seems kinda small to be a pure military one, but I could see it as a para-military, much like the military takes civilian designed craft and slaps a few lighter weapons on. They are far better suited for PC's, who would most likely be using para-military craft than pure military ones. Then it would be easy enough to add/remove any armaments and call it civilian.

phavoc said:
I agree, it's a niche that could use some extra craft in it. And it's nice to have artwork too.

For the smaller 5 tonners, the idea is that they should have short 'legs', right? So wouldn't you want to dial back how long they are meant to be operating before requiring refueling?

The smaller 5 ton craft seems kinda small to be a pure military one, but I could see it as a para-military, much like the military takes civilian designed craft and slaps a few lighter weapons on. They are far better suited for PC's, who would most likely be using para-military craft than pure military ones. Then it would be easy enough to add/remove any armaments and call it civilian.

I woud happily dial ac on the reactor fuel, at 5 to 10 tons space is at a premium.Unfortunately to stay as close as possible to the rules I have to put a minimum of 1 ton of fuel on a reactor.at least that's my take on how it is written.

The High Speed model is classified as a personal transport rather than a civilian fighter. but I am fairly sure that anyone who saw the model number would nod and go ..."Of course, you are purchasing this for legitimate sport and recreation purposes sir....That multi-megajoule laser is just for hunting Rynoc...from orbit... Just let me fill out the paperwork for your (cough) Personal transport."

I mentioned they were used as security vehicles in some areas, but anyone who wants to take on a real fighter in one better have full coverage medical. but, the number of times I have been in a game where a bit of air support would have been welcome are far too numerous to count. A dozen Vargr Mercs hired by the guy we ( read our resident idjit with a big mouth) irritated last might not have been so scary. A Plasma rifle is a nice ace in the hole, but having someone come screaming in at Mach speeds and turn the badguys Vehicles into burning scrap would have made the day a lot less intense.

I have several more military grade combat pods, with better armor, and more bells and whistles, but they couldn't catch that flyer if you loaded them in a Railgun...its definitely the speedster of the bunch., it can keep up with the racing pods I have built...well most of them.

wbnc said:
I woud happily dial ac on the reactor fuel, at 5 to 10 tons space is at a premium.Unfortunately to stay as close as possible to the rules I have to put a minimum of 1 ton of fuel on a reactor.at least that's my take on how it is written.

Correct, minimum fuel for a standard power plant is 1 ton.

AndrewW said:
wbnc said:

Correct, minimum fuel for a standard power plant is 1 ton.

That's hat I thought...those are some fuel hungry reactors.

Condottiere said:
I'm for miniaturization, within the the design parameters.
The guys at the office were pretty open to dropping the minimum M-drive tonnage requirements. That's the only reason I can manage a few of these designs. If I could reduce the size of the Reaction drive that would be spiffy, but that's not an option as of the last printing.

One option I considered was using a Half ton reactor. Nowhere in the rules does it say that have to be installed in one-ton increments. for a work pod with minimal thrust a half ton reactor would be plenty.

One tonne/ fourteen cubic metres is supposedly the most efficient energy output, in theory vehicle design would get you an appropriate, if underpowered variant.

The 5 Ton Hot-Rod:

If those things I think are RCS thruster blisters are, they should be mounted further up the nose for better leverage, and might be better as “housed within the nose” rather than as pods that stick out; see the Space Shuttle, as an example. For the thrusters mounted on the side, give them a more streamlined teardrop shape (half of a Sears-Haack body)... this craft is for racing, after all. I’m not going to scrutinize the design any more, as it seems to have a more “fun Sci Fi” bent than your aircraft design did.

Good for “System Rangers”; like the “Texas Rangers”, but for the whole system. Obviously the “Lawman Cruiser” of choice for systems with high traffic and speeding problems. Good for that “high-speed courier” work often done by motorcycles and bicycles in cities, only between cities and planets.

Sounds more like an Endurance Racer than a Sprint or Circuit Racer; 6 hours is a loong race; maybe soup up that afterburner? At the same speed, turning circle is more important for a fighter craft. This thing should probably have some speed it out-turns a fighter, which makes it better for racing, but is out-turned everywhere else. By that same token, it should probably have a faster top-end than a fighter of the same size (which is loaded down with armor and weapons). Accumulations of smells usually have more to do with the Life Support filtration system than the Fresher. Anything that can be done with “personal breathing gear” can probably be better done with replacing the air supply canister with a larger one... of course, players being what they are...

I can see a slightly stretched Limousine version of this thing with cozy passenger space in the back, rather than the bunk space; obviously, a higher end fresher is included; for those people for which time is money. If adding a bunk and a fresher, I think a stretched version probably makes more sense than a “cargo pod”; the “cargo pod” version is only fit for camping purposes... and that’s an odd fit for a racer. If it weren’t for the fuel tank rules, I would suggest a “Sprint Class” version with a smaller fuel tank, for races that take less than “6 hours”.

Be sure to include the following volumes:
Shipping Volume (Volume when shipped as Cargo or Freight)
Stowage Volume (Volume when put into long-term storage)
Parking Volume (Volume when parked in a spot from which it can be easily piloted out of under normal circumstances)
Repair Bay Volume (Volume when in a bay large enough to fully repair it with functional parts)

Tenacious-Techhunter said:
The 5 Ton Hot-Rod:

If those things I think are RCS thruster blisters are, they should be mounted further up the nose for better leverage, and might be better as “housed within the nose” rather than as pods that stick out; see the Space Shuttle, as an example. For the thrusters mounted on the side, give them a more streamlined teardrop shape (half of a Sears-Haack body)... this craft is for racing, after all. I’m not going to scrutinize the design any more, as it seems to have a more “fun Sci Fi” bent than your aircraft design did.

Good for “System Rangers”; like the “Texas Rangers”, but for the whole system. Obviously the “Lawman Cruiser” of choice for systems with high traffic and speeding problems. Good for that “high-speed courier” work often done by motorcycles and bicycles in cities, only between cities and planets.

Sounds more like an Endurance Racer than a Sprint or Circuit Racer; 6 hours is a loong race; maybe soup up that afterburner? At the same speed, turning circle is more important for a fighter craft. This thing should probably have some speed it out-turns a fighter, which makes it better for racing, but is out-turned everywhere else. By that same token, it should probably have a faster top-end than a fighter of the same size (which is loaded down with armor and weapons). Accumulations of smells usually have more to do with the Life Support filtration system than the Fresher. Anything that can be done with “personal breathing gear” can probably be better done with replacing the air supply canister with a larger one... of course, players being what they are...

I can see a slightly stretched Limousine version of this thing with cozy passenger space in the back, rather than the bunk space; obviously, a higher end fresher is included; for those people for which time is money. If adding a bunk and a fresher, I think a stretched version probably makes more sense than a “cargo pod”; the “cargo pod” version is only fit for camping purposes... and that’s an odd fit for a racer. If it weren’t for the fuel tank rules, I would suggest a “Sprint Class” version with a smaller fuel tank, for races that take less than “6 hours”.

Be sure to include the following volumes:
Shipping Volume (Volume when shipped as Cargo or Freight)
Stowage Volume (Volume when put into long-term storage)
Parking Volume (Volume when parked in a spot from which it can be easily piloted out of under normal circumstances)
Repair Bay Volume (Volume when in a bay large enough to fully repair it with functional parts)

The blisters are thruster pack, one larger centerline vent, with four radial ports. the entire assembly is supposed to be gimbled so the computer can create very precise changes in thrust. The main reaction drives also have the same gibled thrust vectoring system.

I can shift the thrusters forward a bit and see how it looks. I was trying to keep the nose area clean as possible. as much for looks as the fact if the pilot noses in and does a high-speed atmospheric entry that area is going to get blasted with superheated air.

Unfortunately due to the way the building system is set up. I have maxed out the amount of afterburner I can put on this thing..and even then It was a bit tight. were are talking shoehorn, hammer, surgical lubricant, and a lot of cursing went into getting the drives down to size.

And as for the type of racer this thing would be you were spot on..it's built for long races rather than sprints. I set the goal as max thrust for 6 continuous hours when I started working on the numbers. that was so that it could reach nearby worlds, or even more distant ones within the life support limits of a cockpit.most of the other racers I have are a little faster but have much shorter max burn times. they are for short runs where the pilot would be using max thrust in short bursts.

I do wish there was a way to split up straight line speed and maneuvering thrust. I would definitely make this thing a straight line speedster with a much lower turnign ability. But the way thrust works maneuvering thrust and straight line propulsion thrust are the same figure.

I'll make a not of those volumes for later builds. it occurs to me the crate this thing is shipped in will be of a very different volume than the total hull tonnage. fortunaely i can get a pretty good estimate by buildinng a box around the model in blender and getting teh measurments off of that.

See the thrusters on the Space Shuttle’s nose for an example of how to do the nose thrusters.

I had considered those. They are simple and not very prone to being jammed clogged or burned away. The problem is you have to exaggerate some features to make them noticeable in a pic that will be shrunk down to the size of your typical printed material illustration. to be noticeable they would have o be oversized to some extent.It's a learning process as I work on more projects I find ways to balance looks good, with look doable. constant feedback helps.

Shadows in the thruster holes work for the shuttle, so they should work here, too. Also, the racing stripe to port is broken up for some reason.

That may be due to the angle of the shot the render is taken from.

Yeah, I don’t envy having to live with such a limitation. Maybe some boolean subtractions would work?

The Boolean modifier is a pain in the neck when it decides not work right, and it mangles the mesh mightly.

I can get pretty decent results by removing a section of the mesh and manually inserting a circle, then connect it into one joined mesh. but it takes forever to get it right so I haven't really worked with that process.

Back