Uh Oh...Help with follow up adventure (Kovag-Re Spoilers)

My group wishes to continue playing Black Stones of Kovag-Re following the completion of the module. I changed the scenario so that Oleska was a very rich merchant and did not pursue the group to the temple. Instead, he sent his henchman. Following the betrayal and their eventual victory, the group now plans to return to Arenjun to enact vengeance upon Oleska. My question is...What now? Oleska will not really know that his plan failed because the characters will return too quickly. What can I do to make a suitably Howard-esqe adventure with this scenario. I'm sure I could come up with the group merely sneaking into Oleska's compound and killing his guards and such, but I'm looking for a nice twist that the players would never expect. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Wicked Tinker said:
My group wishes to continue playing Black Stones of Kovag-Re following the completion of the module. I changed the scenario so that Oleska was a very rich merchant and did not pursue the group to the temple. Instead, he sent his henchman. Following the betrayal and their eventual victory, the group now plans to return to Arenjun to enact vengeance upon Oleska. My question is...What now? Oleska will not really know that his plan failed because the characters will return too quickly. What can I do to make a suitably Howard-esqe adventure with this scenario. I'm sure I could come up with the group merely sneaking into Oleska's compound and killing his guards and such, but I'm looking for a nice twist that the players would never expect. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks!
Send them on another "random" errant and play the brand new Mongoose adventure available on pdf (no advertisement) or get your players run into conflict with the local thief guild, so that they may gain some levels before avenging on Oleska (if it's a wealthy merchant, then he is probably well defended and could have some dark sorcerer on his side to help him get rid of his rivals.

How about having him be out of town on business...which is why the PC's
ran accross his henchman in the first place.

You could have the PC's trying to track him down to his compound, without
knowing he isn't there - plenty of chaos...
Then they could find some dark secret he's been hiding successfully, or
even encounter another group making good his absence by robbing him,
or similar...
He could turn out to be a real bad guy - always one step ahead of the PC's,
but not really knowing they are after him. You could lead them around by
the nose - without them knowing that that's what you are doing!

Another thought...someone as powerful as Oleska no doubt has spies at the gate. Allow them to tip him off as the PC's come in. It should be enough preperation to make the mod challenging & give Oleska some chance of escape (to become a reoccurring character), but also have the chance to have the PC's kill him too.

I always like to incorporate some sinister sorcery into my Conan adventures. Oleska could be involved (high priest) in a cult and as the character's sneak into the compound/mansion/inn they will have to confront cultist as well as merchant guards. Of course, there is a big ceremony-taking place that will bring forth an evil most terrible. This ceremony could last many days and it was Oleska's hope the PC's will return with his bride before the final sacrifice.

I actually ran an adventure like this, using Oleska's stats from Kovag-Re. It was a Yoggitte cult that had captured a Ghoul, a la the captured zombie in 28 days. Similar results and mayhem occurred. Fun stuff.

Back