Travellers Needed - The Future of Traveller

It was originally THE Classic Traveller adventure :)

The first scenario needs a complete re-write as the premise, execution and outcome are all utterly ridiculous.

And I want to be able to get the deckplans they produced for it again :)

I, too, would love to see a revisited, refurbished, and republished version of The Traveller Adventure. Not only does it have some amazing OTU lore nuggets in there (hmmm... tasty, tasty lore...) it is also a great showcase of what the average Traveller campaign experience is.

Don't get me wrong, Secrets of the Ancients is great and Pirates of Drinax is a modern classic, but we're currently missing a more down-to-earth, blue-collar campaign book that I think The Traveller Adventure just fits to an absolute T*.

*For 'Traveller'.

It was originally THE Classic Traveller adventure :)

The first scenario needs a complete re-write as the premise, execution and outcome are all utterly ridiculous.

And I want to be able to get the deckplans they produced for it again :)
I know it was. I have both. :D I specified Aramis because they'd already produced a new version, but it doesn't change the adventures much at all. The first adventure is definitely a very old school 'you are in this situation because you are' With D&D that happened a lot because most adventures started life as tournament games. No such excuse for this one as far as I know. :D

A download of just the deckplans would be nice. Obviously they are available in the PDFs of both editions, but just being formated on its own would be nice.

Traveller is just screaming for a hardcopy "passport" with pages designed to accept stamps which could be printed out onto sticky labels and applied to the booklet. Maybe a TAS "passport" or one with an Imperial logo on the front (or a Sword Worlds, Zhodani or other polity's flag).

A TAS Membership card would also not go amiss.

Actually, an online passport stamp mark (franking stamp) designer would also be brilliant. Customise your Traveller's passport with on-the-spot stamps for every port they visit.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer toolkit books. Things like High Guard, Robot Handbook, Vehicle Handbook, Field Catalogue, and World Builder's Handbook. Books that enable creation within the framework of the mechanics rather than adventures or a list of new bits.

This is one of the things I liked about T5 and I would love to see mongoose takes on some of its makers. A sophont maker book or a book about biotech/cloning/parentage would be great.

Updated versions of some of the first ed books, like dynasty, would be pretty awesome too. Support for generational epics. Or the first generation books on careers, like dilettante, with the expanded event tables to provide more variety in character generation.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer toolkit books. Things like High Guard, Robot Handbook, Vehicle Handbook, Field Catalogue, and World Builder's Handbook. Books that enable creation within the framework of the mechanics rather than adventures or a list of new bits.
I'm with you. I primarily get the adventures for inspiration and other background materiel, but I do not ever expect to GM an adventure as written.
To that end, information on how to build nouns in Charted Space -- and examples of how such things exist in Charted Space are what I crave most.

I want generic sci fi not everything tied to the Third Imperium.

There are a lot of sci fi tropes that do not and can not fit within the constraints of the Third Imperium.

I like a lot about the Third Imperium, but having the rules clearly, or at this point given the rules are published, a book on options for different types of settings and what to include/not to include in terms of tech and whatnot would be useful to a lot of people, I think.

The Third Imperium is a big draw for Traveller, but it isn't all that Traveller is.

You're looking for:-
- A ref's book, possibly including an oracle for when the ref is the only player at the table;
- A setting horticulture book (how to grow your own, for players and refs).

I guess. Honestly, I'd rather just that the rules were clearly distinct from the Third Imperium setting. Because Traveller can do any semi-hard or hard setting quite easily. But, at this point, the Core Rulebook exists. It is not reasonable to expect it to be redone differently. So a book that is "playing Traveller without the Third Imperium" in some format.

It's like how D&D isn't Faerun. Forgotten Realms content is a large part of D&D's overall sales, but few people think that the two are identical. There are a lot of people who would play Traveller if there was more support for alternate settings.

Yeah, Pioneer will be the 4th setting to be published using the Mongoose Traveller rules (Third Imperium, Mindjammer, 2300). And there are several Cepheus Engine settings that are essentially the same rules (Hostile, Earth/Clement Sector, probably others). So it already exists.

I'd still like to see a continuation of the Fall of Tinath as a full campaign with lots of setting secrets (and to correct a certain spelling mistake which I notice has been corrected in the latest MgT supplement - Essaray in the Traveller Companion and T5, yet spelled Esseray in Fall of Tinath).

Last edited:
One of the issues with the second edition of Mongoose Traveller is rule sprawl - there are dozens of very useful rules scattered across various supplements. I'm talking about stuff like the exploration rules, scientific research rules, etc. Perhaps these could form the basis of a Traveller Companion 2 at some point? About a year or so after release, most of the bugs get ironed out by the community. Would there be a market for a new book consolidating and expanding these new subsystems?

One of the issues with the second edition of Mongoose Traveller is rule sprawl - there are dozens of very useful rules scattered across various supplements. I'm talking about stuff like the exploration rules, scientific research rules, etc. Perhaps these could form the basis of a Traveller Companion 2 at some point? About a year or so after release, most of the bugs get ironed out by the community. Would there be a market for a new book consolidating and expanding these new subsystems?
This would be a very sensible move :) Companion 2 is not set for release as yet but it is very much on the cards at some point.

Back