Traveller Open Content - New Programme on the Way!

I wonder how/if this changes plans to issue a new license and community guidelines around the Traveller 2e content? Regardless of all the other things going on, I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.
At least Cepheus is now safe. That's a win for the Traveller community.

I'm really shocked they caved on OGL 1.0a. I thought that was going to be the one thing they would not cave on.

I think when the online campaign to boycot the movie started, that made them nervous.

Hi, let's see if you can answer some questions. Since I met Traveler, I want to publish content for the game, in fact, I already published an adventure for the Drinax Pirates campaign that had many visits. I was thinking of publishing adventures and campaigns more or less regularly. With this new license, I will be able to publish them in the modality "pay what you want" or in my ko-fi? Always for free but with the possibility of those who like it and want to support me can do so.

Not as yet. The SRD2 is currently being looked over by the Cepheus publishers and we are waiting to hear about news on the ORC licence.
It looks like a draft of the Orc license is now available for review. It is obviously modeled on the OGL v1.0a, with a clear distinction between Open Content and Product Identity. But it addresses some edge cases that have emerged since the original OGL - for example, the use of Open Content in Virtual Tabletops (VTTs) and computer games.

For those who haven't seen it, here's the current license text: https://downloads.paizo.com/ORC_License_DRAFT.pdf

And here's the Answers & Explanations for the ORC License (AxE - someone worked really hard to come up with that acronym!): https://downloads.paizo.com/ORC_AxE_DRAFT.pdf

Azora Law is soliciting commentary and feedback through that platform until Friday, April 21.

As someone with a decent collection of both Mongoose Traveller products and Cepheus Engine products, I'd love to see the following:
  1. If you want official Traveller products, you go to Mongoose / Far Future Enterprises.
  2. If you want third-party products that incorporate some (limited) IP from the OTU, you go to the Traveller's Aid Society community content program.
  3. If you want third-party products in original settings, you go to the new Traveller Open Content programme. This allows
In this vision, I'd recommend grandfathering the Cepheus Engine / MgT 1e SRD into the Traveller Open Content programme by dual-licensing it. This means would smooth the transition, giving new creators access to a wealth of existing third-party content too. I think over time, most publishers will rework content to be compliant with MgT 2e because it offers genuine innovations.

One thing question I have - the use of the OGL in the past has involved a one-way flow from an upstream publisher to downstream creators. Is it time to start looking at a more collaborative model where the community feeds new ideas and new innovations back upstream (where appropriate). Both sides would benefit from something like a shared community SRD. My suspicion is that a rising tide lifts all boats...

I contribute to an open standards body (CDMC+ if anyone is interested), a cross industry body which defines standards for the movement of data to cloud service providers.

Whilst CDMC evolves through contributions, no-one group owns the intellectual property. Unlike Traveller, where there are IPR and licence considerations. Under these circumstances, it seems to me the development of a cross platform standards forum will be more complex.

CDMC operates by invitation to industry experts and is largely self-selecting in terms of contribution. Members decide which subjects to contribute to, with a workstream lead who co-ordinates efforts into a submission document for the steering committee.

I hope these notes are useful in shaping any future collaboration

Any more information on this? Is the new Traveller Open Content scheme still under development? Or has this died now things have settled a bit?

Also, on a related note, does Mongoose have a policy for (non-profit) fan content anywhere? I know this is tricky as Traveller is licensed from FFE so it needs to align with their Fan Content Policy.

We are indeed still working on the TOC scheme, hopefully we will have something ready a little after Gen Con.

As for non-profit fan content, we have a very, very light hand and generally don't send the Gaming Police round to people's houses :)

Looking forward to hearing about the TOC...
I think a few of us are. I'm working on a project but waiting to see what Mongoose offers before determining which system to use. The original post by Matt did mention they are considering releasing some content under the ORC licence. But hopefully they will also offer a trademark compatibility license so you can indicate your products re compatible with second edition.

I suspect it's probably going to be a month or two before we hear anything solid. Matt did say there would be an announcement some time after GenCon - and that event is only just wrapping up now.

Many of us are anxiously waiting
I think quite a few people are. The Traveller's Aid Society is great if you want to create stuff for the OTU, but plenty of publishers are interested in developing their own settings. At the moment, the only avenue for this is to use the Cepheus Engine retroclone. This is great - especially if you are a fan of CT - but it's at arm's length from the second-edition rules. Ideally, a vibrant third-party publisher community will drive sales for Mongoose too. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I think quite a few people are. The Traveller's Aid Society is great if you want to create stuff for the OTU, but plenty of publishers are interested in developing their own settings. At the moment, the only avenue for this is to use the Cepheus Engine retroclone. This is great - especially if you are a fan of CT - but it's at arm's length from the second-edition rules. Ideally, a vibrant third-party publisher community will drive sales for Mongoose too. A rising tide lifts all boats.
I started back when the CT OTU was whatever you created, so everything that I create is compatible with, but not based on.

I really like the 2E ruleset, and want to create for that, too.

I am a cake and eat it too kind of guy.

I started back when the CT OTU was whatever you created, so everything that I create is compatible with, but not based on.

I really like the 2E ruleset, and want to create for that, too.

I am a cake and eat it too kind of guy.
Same here! I still have a pile of LBBs on the shelf behind my desk. Including a battered box with the original three booklets

I like the OTU, but I also want to see what else the community can do with Traveller. One of the weaknesses of TAS compared to the Cepheus Engine community is that it kinda locks you into the OTU. This is fine if that's what you want. But my dream is to see Traveller support a diverse range of settings.

Same here! I still have a pile of LBBs on the shelf behind my desk. Including a battered box with the original three booklets

I like the OTU, but I also want to see what else the community can do with Traveller. One of the weaknesses of TAS compared to the Cepheus Engine community is that it kinda locks you into the OTU. This is fine if that's what you want. But my dream is to see Traveller support a diverse range of settings.
My first ex-wife destroyed all of my LBBs out of spite 30-years ago, but I have the T5 collection in my RV now.

My personal gaming view has changed from a focus on epic themes, and larger-than-life events that often involves the fate of entire kingdoms, worlds, or the universe, to one of smaller-scale events, personal journeys, or more localized conflicts. The overall feel is often more grounded, and based on the realization that there is always something bigger, stronger and better funded than you.

I use the Third Imperium as the deus ex machina that slaps everyone back into playable stratus. Drinax is the ceiling of “high science fiction” to me.

We are all cogs in the cosmic machine.

Back