Traveller newbie thoughts

dayriff

Mongoose
So I picked up the Mongoose Traveller core rulebook at GenCon, and I am really liking it. I didn't have much prior experience with Traveller. I played in a game using the original little black books a few years ago, and that was about it. The rulebook is doing what a gamebook should - it makes me want to run a game.

I have actually sat down and started generating subsectors for my own little corner of the 3I. No rush; I'm probably going to have to wait until some other current games come to a close before I get my opportunity to run. Random generation provides a lot of inspiration and is an amusing mingame in its own right. I figure I do a grid of 9 subsectors, start the PCs off in the center one, and I'm probably covered for a campaign.

A few changes I made to the planet generation process:

1. For any world with an atmosphere breathable without equipment (5, 6, or 8 ) no extreme environmental conditions and a Hydro that's not 0 or 10, I generally don't apply the -2 to the 2d6 population roll. I figure worlds like that will experience a big population boom. (Though if I rolled a 2, I would apply it because an empty garden world is cool.)

2. Any hex with a planet I roll an extra 2d6. On a 12, there are two inhabited worlds (well potentially) in that hex. That results in about 1 double-hex per subsector.

3. Since the Government table tops out at D rather than going 13+, I let it wrap all the way around. A 14 is government 1, a 15 government 2, and so on. This doesn't affect things too often, as obviously you have to have a population 9 world minimum to loop around, but I did get one highly populated, high tech, direct democracy world that could be a lot of fun.

I am pondering placing the grid on a corner between Solomani and Hiver worlds so there's influence from both.

Things I'm wondeirng about:

1. Despite the image of a Scout landing on a fresh, unsurveyed world, it doesn't seem likely that would happen very often. I'm guessing they do a lot of work surveying worlds that already have a colony but haven't been fully explored (a world is a huge place after all) and surveying the rest of the solar system in addition to settled worlds looking for mineral wealth or anomolies (a solar system being an even huger place). They also seem like the Imperium's primary contact for dealing with low tech-level civiliations. (Sort of 'practical anthropologists'.) Is this a good description of what they actually do?

2. Should I designate one world in each subsector as the subsector capital? Any tips for what makes a good subsector capital, or is justifying my pick half the fun?

3. I do have a lot of adventure ideas, but is there any kid of "1001 Traveller Adventure Ideas" compiled online somewhere that I could crib from?

4. Should I designate a swathe of 'frontier' worlds and just not roll for population on them?

Anyway, it's a neat game and I hope I can run it soon.

dayriff said:
3. I do have a lot of adventure ideas, but is there any kid of "1001 Traveller Adventure Ideas" compiled online somewhere that I could crib from?

That would be "760 Patrons".

I like change number 3... I don't really like it when there is only one option either.

Subsectors are usually named after their subsector capital. so it should be pretty easy to figure out. When making your own subsectors I would suggest that it would be a higher TL trade, military Hub, or maybe political Hub. Really though, I'd say picking fun... as long as you can sell it to your players. Remember the Sci in Sci-Fi.

dayriff said:

1. For any world with an atmosphere breathable without equipment (5, 6, or 8 ) no extreme environmental conditions and a Hydro that's not 0 or 10, I generally don't apply the -2 to the 2d6 population roll. I figure worlds like that will experience a big population boom. (Though if I rolled a 2, I would apply it because an empty garden world is cool.)

That's basically what the Hard Science variant rules are for on page 180. I think my original suggestion in the playtest was for it to be a DM+2 on the roll for atm 5/6/8 for the same reasons (they'd be more attractive to colonists, people would want to stay there etc) but it got toned down a bit in the final book.

2. Any hex with a planet I roll an extra 2d6. On a 12, there are two inhabited worlds (well potentially) in that hex. That results in about 1 double-hex per subsector.

That's not a bad idea... in CT you can roll up multiple star systems, this wouldn't be a bad way to show that a hex contains a binary (with a mainworld around each star). In CT, a star is binary on a roll of 8+, and trinary on a 12.

3. Since the Government table tops out at D rather than going 13+, I let it wrap all the way around. A 14 is government 1, a 15 government 2, and so on. This doesn't affect things too often, as obviously you have to have a population 9 world minimum to loop around, but I did get one highly populated, high tech, direct democracy world that could be a lot of fun.

Mongoose bizarrely forgot to include governments E and F - they're there in CT though. E is Religious Autocracy, and F is Totalitarian Oligarchy. But your idea works too.

dayriff said:
<lots of good comments snipped for brevity>

THAT is a frikkin excellent idea. (swiping noises followed by the sound of a serial number being ground off)

As to the lack of the 14 and 15 results, I'm not sure if it was forgotten as much as intentionally dropped. IIRC, those two are actually Megatraveller ratings, and most of the basic stuff is from the previous edition....and they always seemed a bit uneccessary. In any case, not every deviation is a mistake...;)

As to the atmosphere idea that you have, Bravo. There were lots of differing ideas in playtest - and what tyhey had in common was that they all generally worked well for the person proposing it. There really wasn;t a golden standard despite lots of overview. I think all of us contributed to it, and got most of what we felt was good. The rest....is up to you !

dayriff said:
1. Despite the image of a Scout landing on a fresh, unsurveyed world, it doesn't seem likely that would happen very often. I'm guessing they do a lot of work surveying worlds that already have a colony but haven't been fully explored (a world is a huge place after all) and surveying the rest of the solar system in addition to settled worlds looking for mineral wealth or anomolies (a solar system being an even huger place). They also seem like the Imperium's primary contact for dealing with low tech-level civiliations. (Sort of 'practical anthropologists'.) Is this a good description of what they actually do?
If you're talking about the default Third Imperium setting, then yes, pretty much. There aren't really many totally unexplored worlds left unless you head off far, far from Imperial borders. However, there are plenty of systems within the Imperium that have been charted and put on the maps, but never really explored in detail.

And yes, the Scout Service has a contact & liaison branch for dealing with low-tech civilisations and indigenous non-human races. The Scouts tend to want to look after their welfare and protect them from commercial exploitation, which leads many naval and megacorporate types to deride them as tree-hugging liberal hippies. :)

Exploring worlds which actually belong to other interstellar nations is also a task of the Scout Service, which might have to be done in secret if that nation is hostile. 'Spying' is such a vulgar word, though; 'covert surveys' sounds much nicer.

Another job of the Scout Service is to keep the records up-to-date... with 11,000 worlds in the Imperium, changes in population and government type and law level are fairly regular. That's boring survey work, though, not really something for player characters.

Finally, in the OTU the IISS is also responsible for the x-boat network which handles communication between the various worlds of the Imperium.

StephenT said:
If you're talking about the default Third Imperium setting, then yes, pretty much. There aren't really many totally unexplored worlds left unless you head off far, far from Imperial borders. However, there are plenty of systems within the Imperium that have been charted and put on the maps, but never really explored in detail.

And yes, the Scout Service has a contact & liaison branch for dealing with low-tech civilisations and indigenous non-human races. The Scouts tend to want to look after their welfare and protect them from commercial exploitation, which leads many naval and megacorporate types to deride them as tree-hugging liberal hippies. :)

That makes sense. So at any given time there could be several Scout ships prowling around any given solar system.

Exploring worlds which actually belong to other interstellar nations is also a task of the Scout Service, which might have to be done in secret if that nation is hostile. 'Spying' is such a vulgar word, though; 'covert surveys' sounds much nicer.

Nice! I hadn't even thought of that aspect

Another job of the Scout Service is to keep the records up-to-date... with 11,000 worlds in the Imperium, changes in population and government type and law level are fairly regular. That's boring survey work, though, not really something for player characters.

Not directly, but if any of them pick up a Scout contact or ally, it means a call for help could plausibly come from anywhere at any time.

Finally, in the OTU the IISS is also responsible for the x-boat network which handles communication between the various worlds of the Imperium.

You know, it seems like the scouts got handed any job that didn't comfortably fit with one of the other services. Not sure who should take care of it? Give it to the IISS! They're a fascinating mix between mailmen, explorers, spies, and marshals. Probably more adventure fiction gets written about them in the 3I than any other group.

dayriff said:
So I picked up the Mongoose Traveller core rulebook at GenCon, and I am really liking it. I didn't have much prior experience with Traveller. I played in a game using the original little black books a few years ago, and that was about it. The rulebook is doing what a gamebook should - it makes me want to run a game.

This is an awesome post, dayriff.

I have actually sat down and started generating subsectors for my own little corner of the 3I. ... Random generation provides a lot of inspiration and is an amusing mingame in its own right. I figure I do a grid of 9 subsectors, start the PCs off in the center one, and I'm probably covered for a campaign.

Absolutely. 9 subsectors feels like a very reasonable size... not too big to generate or get a handle on, but a bazillion things could be going on in there.

I'd like to see them when you're done. I suspect others here might like that, too!

1. For any world with an atmosphere breathable without equipment (5, 6, or 8 ) no extreme environmental conditions and a Hydro that's not 0 or 10, I generally don't apply the -2 to the 2d6 population roll. ...

These are clever and reasonable. I like them!

1. Despite the image of a Scout landing on a fresh, unsurveyed world ... surveying worlds... first contact...

Yeah.

2. Should I designate one world in each subsector as the subsector capital? Any tips for what makes a good subsector capital, or is justifying my pick half the fun?

Oh for sure the second option!

If you want to be boring, pick the world with the best combination of starport, population, TL, and bases, but HO-HUM...

Start a thread here asking for plot hooks and you'll get a bundle I suspect. But your own ideas are probably just as good! (Feel free to share).

4. Should I designate a swathe of 'frontier' worlds and just not roll for population on them?

Definitely yes.

Sounds like you've got the perfect attitude for Traveller.

and if you're feeling like all that world/subsector generation is too much work...

you can fall back on the already generated Traveller universe which happens to be available for free (if you have an internet connection)

scout out www.travellermap.com and you can zoom in and out all you want. You can pick a suitable area to start the players out in and go from there.

GothiousRex said:
and if you're feeling like all that world/subsector generation is too much work...

Nah. Thanks for the link, but I kind of like doing it by hand. Feels like I'm really making the universe my own, you know?

dayriff said:
GothiousRex said:

Nah. Thanks for the link, but I kind of like doing it by hand. Feels like I'm really making the universe my own, you know?

I totally understand.

Sometimes you want to make the cake from scratch.
Sometimes you just want to decorate the cake you have before you.

As far as I am concerned the random generation tables are a kind of guide to the imagination. Random rolls are interesting because they are proposing results you would not have thought out by yourself or because they are a challenge to your imagination when you have to reconcile apparently contradictory facts.

The Traveller rulebook is actually encouraging the referee to mix random rolls and non random choices. IMO this is often the best way to generate interesting worlds and it seems you are going the right way.

760 patrons has a lot of plot hooks. I also know that the BITS once published a book called 101 plots but I have no idea what it is worth. Moreover, I don't think it is available anymore.

Back