• Outlaws in Sherwood Forest

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Vikings!

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Something Else (leave a comment!)

Votes: 32 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Initially I did not intend to vote. BUT, right now I'm reading the manual of Source of Nile, an very old Avalon Hill boardgame about the expeditions in Africa and suddenly... what about an exploration RPG of the mysterious Africa???. Something with steampunk touches à la Verne, Corto Maltes, Doc Livingstone... with tons of different regions: deserts, jungle, infinite mountains and volcanoes. Egypt, Marocoo, Congo etc. Abandoned temples in the middle of the darkest jungle, cannibals natives, dark magic, weird cults... Retro science, travels on hot air ballons...

And please... a hexcrawl system for Traveller. Please! Imagine a Forbidden Lands with this theme but with the Traveller system.

My 2 cents

I'm not all that interested in Traveller in a new setting. However, I would prefer a setting that hasn't been done to death. And most of western history has been beaten to death. So I'd be interested in something non-western. Especially a historical epoch we don't generally know about.

This is one reason why the only D&D campaign I'd be interested in playing are the Historica Arcanum campaigns. They're parts of "history" that I'm not as familiar with.

But that's just me. I doubt others share the same views.

Thinking about it, though I voted for Pirates of the Age of Sail, I'd actually be really interested in a game set in the time of the Roman Empire, because there's a lot of source material for a wide variety of games. Want to sail your ship around the Indian Ocean as the Romans (and Parthians, Arabs and others knew it - pull out your Periplus of the Erythraean Sea and check the ports and routes and variety of goods on sale. Want to rescue kidnapped nobles from barbarian raiders, well there's plenty of borders to do that on. You might even be the last true defenders of the Imperium as the barbarians overrun the borders and take over, in the right time period.

The thing about the Napoleonic Naval era is.....it didn’t last very long - he lost!

Napoleon was a great land-based military leader. The naval era was really the establishment of the British Empire.

The thing about the Napoleonic Naval era is.....it didn’t last very long - he lost!

Napoleon was a great land-based military leader. The naval era was really the establishment of the British Empire.
I'm hoping that they mean a broader swathe of time than just the 1792 - 1815 wars. There's a lot you can do with that same general era of culture and technology. India, Africa, New World. Exploration, traveling, etc.

I would love to see a steampunk option for Traveller, which could also be used in regular games, say on tech level 4 or 5 worlds.

Suppose... just suppose... we were to do a version of Traveller set in a historical time period.

What periods would you like us to visit - and why?
I'd say a Traveler and 2300 mashup. It would be very interesting to see the different styles of ship technology being pitted against each other.

The Far East from the 1890s to the 1930s.
Real life Steampunk tech.
Mauser and FN Browning pistols
Aging empires
Rising empires
Warlords
Shanghai freeport

How about alternate pre-history? Players could be early homo-sapiens or Neanderthals (probably have to be something earlier) interacting with the Ancients/false gods.

Actually at this point a bit confused. Are we talking Traveller universe with some earth historical setting? Or just something 'new' (as far you can say historical setting is new) with using the Traveller (2D6) system?
In case of the first, can live with steampunk elements (but will ignore them, probably the whole thing). In case of the later, cool! But then keep it historical. Already too many RPG's out, that take an historical setting and add too much either steampunk, horror or magic to it (IMO).

1960's "Transistorpunk"

James Bond or Avengers type of superspies
Mad (Nazi?) scientists
Secret alien invasions (The Vegans?)
Low-powered superheroes & supervillains (example: Batman and his enemies)

All of the above have access to some TL9 technology

Back