Travel in Hyborea

Since many countries are at war or hostile/tense toward one another, how easy is it to cross national borders? Could an Aquilonian just stroll into Nemedia, or are there border patrols, travel documents, etc. Thanks.

Wicked Tinker said:
Since many countries are at war or hostile/tense toward one another, how easy is it to cross national borders? Could an Aquilonian just stroll into Nemedia, or are there border patrols, travel documents, etc. Thanks.
I would say there are tollhouses for nations at peace and forts for nations regularly at war. Merchants would probably be safe on the road of king (as this is a common agreement between all the kingdoms where the road passes through) as long as they get travel documents and pay the fees.
There should be border patrols outside the roads but as most armies use clear ground (i.e. plains or roads) to move, these should be limited (perhaps something like many national borders in Africa, Asia or Southern America).

In any case, it should be quite easy for a small group to cross kingdom borders without being spotted if it doesn't use the usual travel ways. The Hyborian Age was the paradise of smugglers.

Wicked Tinker said:

Well...would you believe this is one of the story engines built into Free Companies?

Nice catch.

Shannon
Current Status: Exhausted. Cranky baby in the house.

Based on my admittedly limited understanding of history and geography (I'm not an expert, but I'll be happy to talk like one), borders in "ye oldene days" were often physical barriers like mountain ranges, rivers, coastlines, etc. Anything that prevented easy travel. They were not generally extensively patrolled because no one was coming across them. Passes and roads and rivers and valleys, however, often had toll gates or lookout towers or guard towers, or even castles for especially important routes.

That's exactly why Hannibal invaded Rome from the Alps. The Romans owned the seas and patrolled every approach to Tyrolia. The Alps were less guarded because, I mean, come on! Who would march an army of giant elephants over the freaking ALPS fer cryin out loud???

Small groups coming into a country via the easy routes: roads, rivers, passes, valleys, would likely either have to pass through a gate or would be spotted by a lookout and intercepted somewhere. Depending on the level of hostility or paranoia of the country, they'll either:

a) be turned back.
b) must present their official travel documents explaining the purpose of their trip.
c) verbally explain their business and be waved through.

Any other route is likely to be difficult going. Precipitous cliffs. Raging rapids. Impassable wilderness inhabited by monsters and evil.

Back