Tragically,your life and mission dont end here.

shanefalcon

Mongoose
With the miraculous resurrection of the Kai,many fans the world over rejoiced.We are those who have waited patiently in the shadows for the past decade for the ending of our story.
For those of us with the fortune to still have books 1-28,news that the final four would be published is almost overwhelming.It seemed to me that hope was fading and the fans had failed to make someone,anyone,see the light and publish the end of joe devers masterpiece (and life's work).
Now that Mongoose has answered our prayers i feel ashamed of the way they have been treated by some.
Mistakes have been made and more patience is required.The problems with the new editions will be addressed and solved.
Our support and devotion is required once again and I for one will not waver.

For Joe and the Kai!

I totally agree. :)
That's why if we point out/rectify the teething problems now, the quality will be top notch for books 29-32 - which is the main reason for me purchasing the first 28 again.

msprange said:
SnowShadow said:
That's why if we point out/rectify the teething problems now, the quality will be top notch for books 29-32

And we do appreciate the pointers.

And I do appreciate that you do appreciate our pointers! I was starting to wonder if it was really taken into consideration. :D

Besides shanefalcon there are some errors with the original books I'm hoping will get fixed too.
Off the top of my head book 14 had several errors - one minute flameshaft was a brotherhood spell then magi-magic, section 240 asks if you have Kai-Surge but reading the text I'm sure it should be Kai-Screen. Book 28 famously has the wrong map, a reprint of the map for book 27. Book 13 asks if you have Grand Mastery (188)? I think of Nexus.
And so on.

What I'm really hoping gets addressed is a spoiler though so highlight to read...

I hope they fix the 'if you have visited X in a previous Lone Wolf book'. These choices don't always match what happened. I used to love whipping out the Sommerswerd against a Drakkarim Ziran in Bk 10 (Battle of Cetza) but if you do this you don't rally the reserves and don't meet, as far as we know, Prarg. Yet books 15 and 17 ask if you took part in the battle of Cetza and if you did it says you meet your friend and former companion. I've been doing Cetza for years and never heard of the guy until Darke Crusade so I went back and eventually found him. Also bk 20 you see three spirits Paido, Adamas and Sebb Jarel but if you take part in the battle of Cetza does Sebb still die? I assumed retreating Drakkarim after you help win the battle came across the partisans and slew them but that's hardly LW's fault. It seems I'm supposed to take the Hellswamp path. Also in book 20 when you arrive on the Plain of Darkness if you have been to Maaken (Bk 4), it assumes you met the Daemonak - which I think you only survive if you have Sommerswerd or Firesphere. There is a good chance you didn't meet it and once again don't know what the book is on about.

The Lone Wolf books are so vesatile with more than one route leading to victory therein lie many of the problems which are cropping up (and for which we did not have anything to compare with in the original series). I for one love this feature which makes the books superior to other gamebooks that have a single, usually illogical, path to winning. It certainly makes for great replay value and being able to take new and existing abilities and equipment into future books is a winning formula generally not repeated as well by others.

So there you go - fingers crossed problems both old and new finally get fixed. :wink:

SnowShadow said:
Besides shanefalcon there are some errors with the original books I'm hoping will get fixed too.
Off the top of my head book 14 had several errors - one minute flameshaft was a brotherhood spell then magi-magic, section 240 asks if you have Kai-Surge but reading the text I'm sure it should be Kai-Screen. Book 28 famously has the wrong map, a reprint of the map for book 27. Book 13 asks if you have Grand Mastery (188)? I think of Nexus.
And so on.
To be sure that this kind of issues get fixed, report them to Project Aon. The Mongoose editions are based on the Project Aon ones. (FYI, the Flameshaft issue has been reported but it is not yet corrected; the other issues have already been addressed.)

Thanks so much for letting me know - originally registered with TotS and had no idea it was back running - everytime I try I can't get through. With your link I was able to find the site. I've now voted (Cetza). Thanks once again for that - I'd have been blissfully ignorant else.

These Forums are great - if I'd never been with LWERPG I'd never have known the books were being redone by Mongoose and if I'd never have joined this one I wouldn't have known about Tower of the Sun still working.

So exciting I think I'll have a lie down now. :lol:

SnowShadow said:
Thanks so much for letting me know - originally registered with TotS and had no idea it was back running - everytime I try I can't get through. With your link I was able to find the site.

The thing is that the original TotS website disappeared back in January after a corruption of the database. The only guy having access and knowledge to fix this was Winterhawk, the founder of TotS, but nobody got news from him for ages. After three months of hiatus, a group of members decided that it was enough and opened a surrogate forum with ProBoards and the community uses it since then. It doesn't have all the RPG aspects the old site had and we have lost a lot of members (and interesting threads) from the original site, but we were still able to put most of our downloads back online. So be welcome to our new TotS! :p

Well I have certainly sent out some words of criticisim to Mongoose when I feel it has been deserved, (Books 1-4), but have also praised them when they deserve it (Book 5).

And to be fair, my copy of Book 3 DOES have Section 192, and the errors in all the books do not dilute the gameplay.

So thank you Mongoose for keeping with it and not dropping LW. And for putting up with us lot! It's never easy to ressurrect an old franchise into something else, even harder to reprint the old books, as any mistake, for whatever reason, is instantly pounced on. It's easier to forget you have many other books to make at the same time, not just LW. For me, I only follow LW from the rgp world, and know the books very well, so any mistake stands out.

I'm loving the quality of the books, the look of them and the mini-adventures. Where the books have been enhanced and expanded, that's brill too. And aside from the missing Equipment section, Book 5 has everything solved, so these gripes should stop now. And let's face, 5 books with problems (4 of which were caused by a new printing process, and Book 1 doesn't really have a massive problem, at least for my copy) out of 32 ain't half bad!

Here, Here!

Mongoose has an awesome task reprinting the 28 original books, in such a short timescale let's not forget, and therefore they're under the microscope 28 times. Lone Wolf has a strong worldwide following with high standards of expectation - the quality of the adventures are the very reason so many of us love it. Added to that there are four new books coming out which are very eagerly anticipated: Mongoose are very brave to put their heads on the block knowing full well that any problems will be swiftly pounced upon. I am over the moon that they are even attempting to do this and any negative criticism is going to make them think 'why do we bother?'! Perhaps this is the test case for similar future projects, we wouldn't want to put them off.

So I'll take the books, warts and all, and still be eternally grateful because the alternative is my Grand Master stuck as a Grand Thane all his, er her (that's another story), life.
Hang on a minute, if there are 4 books after 28 where you are play as a Sun Thane does this mean you play the last one as a Kai Supreme Master? Alright!!!

Back