Tournament or SFOS Lists?

When you play your day-to-day games, which do you use most frequently?

• Sky Full of Stars Lists

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tournament Lists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B5freak

Mongoose
I was inspired by the Sagittarius thread and others where the discussion seems to jump from one list to another. Which list is really being played the most and why?

I'm actually yet to play in a campaign and for one-off games all I play are tournament list fleets as they're far more balanced for individual games (not to mention Ben would Minbari precise me to death if we played the SFOS lists in one offs).

I started by using SFOS. Particularly we used the ISA and Narn fleets. The ISA was absurd to begin with and we tried testing some encounters with one change at a time. Eventually we found that the tourney ISA whitestars seemd about right. They may need 5AD intead of 4 on their secondary weapons.

In the end, most of the tourney stuff seems to be much better. Having said that, there are some changes we would still make but it is far better IMHO.

I play only campaign games, but I have re-written the Shipviewer to include all Tournament List changes, and have adjusted variants to suit. So I use both...

Wulf

Touranment rules as the ship are way more balanced but we are not above letting people use some of the SFOS varients

Now this is a hell of a good ideal.

I play only campaign games, but I have re-written the Shipviewer to include all Tournament List changes, and have adjusted variants to suit. So I use both...

SFOS, the loss of varients on the tourney rules limist choice and versatility, plus no e-mine varients hurts the narn quite heavily (in my opinion)

SFoS until recently but were leaning heavily in the direction of the Tournament lists at our club for the major races (even in campaign). The Drazi and Vree were still using SFoS as they just dont have enough options otherwise.

Rodders said:
sfos all the way even for one off games Tourni lists have their place but not in day to day gaming
Out of curiosity why do you avoid tournament lists for one off games? If it's because you feel the SFOS lists "should" be used most of the time then maybe you're missing the point that the tournament lists are specifically designed for any one off game and remove imbalances that only even out with campaign play.

SFOS as it is a rules supplement. I don't care for any torney lists. If you don't like the rules don't play the game. If you are going to use tourny ships why bother with getting the rules anyway.

We use the tourney lists as our basis. We do allow variants from SFOS adjusting what we think is necessary to match as close as possible to the original tourney ship. In addition, we allow the extra rules for each fleet, ie emine variants, EA missile variants and so forth. Things seem pretty balanced for the most part.

Edit: I think this thread may be more useful if people point out what fleets they use and what fleets they fight. I think a big part of thinking the SFOS or tourney rules is balanced on who your opponent is and who you are playing. I would suspect we would see a lot of similar data. For example many people who see Centaur/Narn battles may say the game is balanced. Those who play Narn/Shadow battles might say otherwise. This might, at least, give the playtesters more data to go on as to which fleets need adjustment.

For me it has been ISA/Narn. In SFOS it wasn't even close. In the tourney battle, it seemed about right. Bad rolls on either side and you would lose. And trust me, I have tried a LOT of combinations to defeat the WS. It just didn't/wouldn't happen until we tried the tourney WS. Having said that I could see the WS maybe getting 5AD with the secondary weapon.

Tibour said:
SFoS as it is a rules supplement. I don't care for any torney lists. If you don't like the rules don't play the game. If you are going to use tourny ships why bother with getting the rules anyway.
The tournament supplement is an official Mongoose supplement, complete with product number and official support!!! Just because it's free doesn't change anything, SFoS is no more official in any way at all.

Also, I play almost entirely Shadows, Minbari, ISA, Centauri and Drakh. Big issues with SFoS balance there for one off games.

Tibour said:
SFOS as it is a rules supplement. I don't care for any torney lists. If you don't like the rules don't play the game. If you are going to use tourny ships why bother with getting the rules anyway.

Because without the rules you can't play the game????

LBH

I feel there's an artificality to the tournament lists- in addition to nerfing and simply not including some of my favourite ships, grumble grumble- that puts me off using most of them.
That said, I do tend to cherrypick whichever versions I think make better gameplay- I wouldn't go back to the SFoS Shadows and Vorlons for the biggest example, I'd let the WS keep it's 3+ dodge- my Targrath were scoring one round kills on straight tourney WS at least 40% of the time- but reduce the pulsars as per the tourney version, I'd use the tournament Avioki (and the Balvarin, if I could get away with it) but I ignore most of the tournament lists, especially the EA.

Slightly Norse John said:
I feel there's an artificality to the tournament lists

As opposed to the naturally occurring fields full of SFOS scattered throughout the farming belts of countries the world over.

:lol:

LBH

Back