Tournament Etiquette - Query?

'Six Timbers' Reaverman said:
Dread Pirate Burger said:
the ultra-competitive tournament freaks all seem to be the othe side of the pond ;)

Hey watch it, that lot live a country where its legal to carry fireamrs...plus they have a huge army :)

Yep, and with the President we have, we aren't afraid to use that army either. :wink:

I think that you're required to tell your opponent the condition of your ships/variants, etc. I'll always show my ship sheets.

However nothing to say you have to volunteer info they dont ask for. ;) (assuming you have a WYSIWYG fleet)

I have always told my opponent any info they ask within reason, fleet composition is usually discussed during setting up. I'm not sure quite what you have to say about ships held in reserve in hyperspace. I think they can remain secret until deployed.

As for damage and what not, if they ask, I tell.

LBH

We have a thing we call the 'jerk factor' around here (well actually jerk is replaced with another four letter word ending in K). Usually unless someone were to say ahead of time they were up for a JF 10 game we assume all information that the scenario itself does not explicitly say is secret is open.

This helps aviod disagreements over variants, missle choices, e-mine variants, fighter swap outs, etc. In campaign we tell each other all refits and experience dice pools for the same reason. Just makes the game run smoother. Of course we also tend to mention if someone forgot to move a fighter too. Heck, last tournament I let a guy go a turn early when I might have ground out a complete victory, but I put that down to temporary insanity.

We may be competative over here but we do tend to respect the level of civility decided upon before the game. You want a JF 10 game, check you soda before you take a drink, someone may have opted for an 'alternate stragety' to win. =)

Ripple

'Six Timbers' Reaverman said:
Captain David the Denied said:
What's JF10?

Yeah, what is it, some sort of cologne like CK1? :)
"Jerk Factor 10" I believe...it's an American code. You British guys wouldn't understand, what with the cut-throat competitive environment we have over here.

I would guess it was Jerk Factor 10-
although if it works like Warp Factors now, at that point I'd be hiring bodyguards, because the opposition has just attempted to reach an infinite level of jerk- hood.
Under the semi- expanded Full Thrust sensor rules, this was a factor in gameplay; damage was not necessarily disclosed (although the damage procedure was obvious enough), you had to scan your opponent to find out what damage he had taken, and that could be jammed or simply not work.
CtA has no proper sensor rules, and while routine damage tends to blur together, how likely are you to forget handing out a vital systems crit? I can't think of any rationale for not admitting to an opponent how much damage I'd taken. Stealth, maybe, but that's an argument waiting to happen.
I have had problems with relatively inexperienced players- one in particular who started off counting down his ship's damage, keeping track of it's current values, and two turns later had no idea how his ships were doing because he had changed procedure half way through the game to adding up how much they had taken. I am fairly certain this was the result of simply not knowing the game, though.

Slightly Norse John said:
although if it works like Warp Factors now, at that point I'd be hiring bodyguards, because the opposition has just attempted to reach an infinite level of jerk- hood.

Its exponential :shock: , I always thought that dedication to munchkindom was linear.

Cap'n Silvereye said:
Its exponential :shock: , I always thought that dedication to munchkindom was linear.

The crucial phrase was:
Slightly Norse John said:

Because warp factors (in Next Generation Trek) are exponential with 10 being infinite. So Warp factor 9.975 (Voyager's theoretical top speed) was considerably faster than the Enterprise D's 9.6.

And we have now reached Nerd Factor 10.

So to understand the JF10, you have to be a Star Trek science geek....ok, I think I am glad being ignorant :p...Hey I'm kidding, put away the flamer throwers!

When breaking the JK 10, we start (d)evolving in something far worse then that...

We become...

ADULTS that no longer play with miniatures or counters :twisted:

Walk the Plank Aldades said:
When breaking the JK 10, we start (d)evolving in something far worse then that...

We become...

ADULTS that no longer play with miniatures or counters :twisted:

I thought it was the other way round, we degenerate in stroppy little kids?

It's usually a reference to the volume knob. We occasionally, for exceptional circumstances, make a reference to Spinal Tap and call it an 11. Those are pretty legendary moments; multi-year friendships die, and sometimes involve people moving out of state. People watch miniatures with eyes of eagles, not because they think the other is cheating, but just to try to piss the other guys off. It's actually pretty sad.

Back