Thoughts on the Galactic Guide

Greg Smith

Mongoose
I bought this book on impulse at the Call to Arms tourney. It was a shiny new hardback and magpie-like I had to have it. Once I got home and had a flick through it, I decided that it could be a very dull book - just a few paragraphs on each and every planet on the map.

But it was not!

It starts with a fairly standard world-building chapter, the likes of which have been in every science fiction game since Traveller. It is however clearly written and has enough detail to feel real. The resulting stellar and planetary statistics are easy to read without refering back endlessly to this chapter (the only exception being the government ratings).

The bulk of the book is a description of every planet on the galactic map. These are grouped under the race that controls them. Many will be familiar to anyone who has read the world descriptions in the previous factbooks, but these are not a reprint and many have been updated to cover the events upto 2262.

These descriptions are very readable and provide a wealth of background for any game. The planets and races that are not heavily featured in the series make for very interesting reading indeed. I can however imagine some devout canonists taking exception to some of the information provided, but personally I like the leaps of imagination that have been made.

The map is in glorious technicolour inside the front and back cover. It is revised from the map in the core book - it does not feature any additional systems, just revisions based on the date (2262). The map however is somewhat inconsistent with the descriptions of the systems - and this is the disappointing aspect of the book for me.

For example - several worlds are shown as dead worlds but are clearly not (Coriana 6, Kitab, Trogoh), Markar is shown as dead but Zander is not (both are habitable worlds with a dead population), Lorka is shown as a homeworld for a minor race but is not described as such, Shengol is shown as a minor colony but has a large population and a shipyard; and uninhabitable worlds with colonies are shown as dead worlds while others are shown as colonies (Oleng, sector 49).

The last section of the book deals with space travel. I particularly liked the random objects in hyperspace. This chapter does seem to duplicate some of the material in the Zocalo though. Plus there is an index which seems correct (pretty unusual for Mongoose).

There are two planets without descriptions in the book - Denizala in Vree space and Z'HA'DUM :shock:

On the whole, a really good book that provided me with dozens of adventure ideas as I read through. It could have been absolutely top-notch if the map had been better.

Greg Smith said:
There are two planets without descriptions in the book - Denizala in Vree space and Z'HA'DUM :shock:

Well the book is info as of 2262 and Z'Ha'Dum did kinda blow up in 2261 so that might explain that one.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Greg Smith said:

Well the book is info as of 2262 and Z'Ha'Dum did kinda blow up in 2261 so that might explain that one.

LBH

In the case of Z'ha'dum, as with the Vorlon worlds, it was decided to let the author of the Shdaows&Vorlons book establish the full details of those worlds, to keep them correct in the context of the much more detailed backgrounds and histories that book will present. In the case of all the other major worlds, they already have had detailed descriptions elsewhere -- the GG just summarised them and added some local colour. I also felt confident in describing minor or little-known worlds for the first time. Making up a racial history for the Golians isn't going to get anyone's knickers in a twist, but the full story of the Shadows -- and their world -- should wait for the proper treatment.

If you want a description, though...

"If you go to Z'ha'dum, you will die."

There.

As for the other world...I have no decent excuse. Upon request, I will provide any number of truly lame ones.

No problems Lizard,

Just means I'm really drooling for the Shadow/Vorlon book now.

As for your lame excuses, it's nice to see that physically disadvantaged excuses can still find employment :lol:

LBH

i was thinking of getting the Galactic Guide (even though i dont play the RPG yet) but what i want to know is how good are the maps? and is it worth getting if i dont play the RPG?

The maps are sort of an overview, either on the Galactic one or the planet maps.

I don't know how much use a non RPG-er would get out of them.

Let me know next time you're coming down to Trav Man and I'll bring mine in for you to look at.

LBH

i can go to Trav-Man anytime on Saturday as i need to go to Bristol anyway so i can meet you in there anytime

How many places you planning on asking this Aramanthus, I already answered the other one 8)

lastbesthope said:
200 plus the Galactic map (Front and Back)

4 of those pages are taken up with contents, index and OGL gubbins which still leaves 196 pages of B5 Galactic Guide goodness.

LBH

Which kind of makes sense.

In the case of Z'ha'dum, as with the Vorlon worlds, it was decided to let the author of the Shdaows&Vorlons book establish the full details of those worlds, to keep them correct in the context of the much more detailed backgrounds and histories that book will present. In the case of all the other major worlds, they already have had detailed descriptions elsewhere.

For example - several worlds are shown as dead worlds but are clearly not (Coriana 6, Kitab, Trogoh), Markar is shown as dead but Zander is not (both are habitable worlds with a dead population), Lorka is shown as a homeworld for a minor race but is not described as such, Shengol is shown as a minor colony but has a large population and a shipyard; and uninhabitable worlds with colonies are shown as dead worlds while others are shown as colonies (Oleng, sector 49).

One other thing to remember...some of those map points are SYSTEMS, not just planets. Maybe Zander Prime is dead, but several other planets in the system are not?

Could be that some of those dead/not-dead map points are giving a general description....

...or I could be totally wrong. But I know a great number of those planets on the map have other planets surrounding them (see Sol) so it goes to say that there is still a VAST number of planets and stuff unexplored to be unveiled later--or by you in your chronicle.

I know I did a piece on Zander Beta and some of those surrounding systems that I am sure would conflict with any normal map as it was never touched on before.

Just look at it as a 'general' map instead of a definitive one, and all things look awesome.

Good job Lizard, I gotcha back! :D

Bry

B_Steele said:
Just look at it as a 'general' map instead of a definitive one, and all things look awesome.

For my campaign, it will be the definitive one. Anything canon that doesn't agree I'll make up an explaination for, and anything non-canon that doesn't agree is just plain wrong... :)

Back