Third Party Support for New Traveller?

Sword3274

Mongoose
Greetings all. I'm very new to Traveller, and have recently picked up the new Traveller Core Rulebook (MgT2e). I've purchased some pdfs from DriveThruRPG and have the Central Supply Catalogue on order. So far, I'm loving the system

Being new, I am unfamiiliar with third-party support for this new system. I've tried to do some research, but I haven't found too much specifically for the 2nd edition. I've seen a good bit of third party stuff, but (aside from Mindjammer) it appears to be for the Cepheus / generic system or older versions of Traveller. Is there much 3PP support for the new Traveller system?

Something I've wandered about often and want to see more of or at least know more about. So what do the braniacs say. PS meant that as a compliment to the intelligence the people at Mongoose and this website must have, in my opinion, to have done such a great job for such a long time. PPS not knowingly creeping just giving my opinion

Sword3274 said:
Greetings all. I'm very new to Traveller, and have recently picked up the new Traveller Core Rulebook (MgT2e). I've purchased some pdfs from DriveThruRPG and have the Central Supply Catalogue on order. So far, I'm loving the system

Being new, I am unfamiiliar with third-party support for this new system. I've tried to do some research, but I haven't found too much specifically for the 2nd edition. I've seen a good bit of third party stuff, but (aside from Mindjammer) it appears to be for the Cepheus / generic system or older versions of Traveller. Is there much 3PP support for the new Traveller system?

Jon Brazer Enterprises is doing some 3rd-party support for MgT2. His books with the TAS logo on their covers. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Jon%20Brazer%20Enterprises

Christian Nienhaus has a couple things out as well in TAS fashion. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Christian%20Nienhaus

No doubt I'll get banned for saying this but the 2e licensing agreement has seen some of the stronger third party move to CE.

This might be a good thread for people who have published stuff under the TAS agreement publicise their work (tho there may be a thread for this already, sorry, didn't search).

A search on DTRPG found this

I have three products on TAS, The Seed of Doubt Adventure. A trading concept called Jump Station Echo and a mobile asteroid processing factory unit called the Vulcan Class ship.

More on the way as well.

PsiTraveller said:
I have three products on TAS, The Seed of Doubt Adventure. A trading concept called Jump Station Echo and a mobile asteroid processing factory unit called the Vulcan Class ship.

More on the way as well.

link?

These people bring up a great point.

Mongoose should talk with DTRPG to do SOMETHING to allow a search for MgT 2ed compatible (TAS) products.
I can filter it down to either "Mongoose Publisher, Traveller Rules" products (22 items with no 3rd party TAS) or "Traveller Rules" (1195 items for all editions of Traveller).
You will sell more TAS if people can find it in a search.
It also creates the appearance that MGT2ed has no 3PP support ... which is not accurate.

(just my 2 cents)

EDIT: Ok, I am an idiot who just didn't see it. You have a button on the Mongoose page of DTRPG to get the TAS stuff ... TRAVELLERS AID SOCIETY DTRPG Stuff LINK

Thanks everyone! I was sure there had to be more out there than what I was coming up with. I appreciate the links, too. Very helpful. If anyone's got more links, post them!

h1ro said:
No doubt I'll get banned for saying this but the 2e licensing agreement has seen some of the stronger third party move to CE.

This might be a good thread for people who have published stuff under the TAS agreement publicise their work (tho there may be a thread for this already, sorry, didn't search).

A search on DTRPG found this

Pretty much this. The license agreement means you grant the rights to your work to Mongoose/DTRPG/TAS. Anything published under the TAS is TAS-open source, meaning anyone who publishes under the TAS can use your work.

So if you publish under the TAS, it's no longer your work. Which sucks.

EldritchFire said:
Pretty much this. The license agreement means you grant the rights to your work to Mongoose/DTRPG/TAS. Anything published under the TAS is TAS-open source, meaning anyone who publishes under the TAS can use your work.

So if you publish under the TAS, it's no longer your work. Which sucks.

One of the things that's confused me thus far is that, as far as I can tell, there's really been no usage of the TAS to publish adventures set in what had previously been Mongoose's sandbox of Published Space. (E.g. the Spinward Marches, Trojan Reaches, and other places detailed under the 1e Third Imperium line.) Has Mongoose been more draconian than anticipated in allowing such TAS projects or have folks just in general shied away from them?

Juums said:
One of the things that's confused me thus far is that, as far as I can tell, there's really been no usage of the TAS to publish adventures set in what had previously been Mongoose's sandbox of Published Space. (E.g. the Spinward Marches, Trojan Reaches, and other places detailed under the 1e Third Imperium line.) Has Mongoose been more draconian than anticipated in allowing such TAS projects or have folks just in general shied away from them?
Most writers tend to want to make their own settings, unless specifically asked to do some 3rd Imperium work. Most referees are the same way.

Major turn off with TAS is that under publisher it says 'Mongoose'
That's like taking credit for something you did not do.

TAS is great for the casual person who wants to share and/or publish material for the Traveller setting. But it's not fair to people who treat it as a business. A little irony here is that I've been reading Shannon Applecline's book on the the gaming industry (originally published by Mongoose), and reading about how gaming companies start out looking for partners to supplement their gaming catalogs and universes, and then apparently it's the trend for them to turn around and shaft their partners at some point. There is some irony to all this...

In a nutshell, companies and designers need to protect their intellectual property AND make a fair profit from it to pay for people to create MORE things. But everyone who is involved needs the same thing. And when you take it away from one party, there's only disincentive left for them, so naturally they move elsewhere. And everyone loses.

ShawnDriscoll said:
Jon Brazer Enterprises is doing some 3rd-party support for MgT2. His books with the TAS logo on their covers. link

Thank you, Shawn. Yes, Jon Brazer Enterprises is one of the Traveller Compatible Publishers, developing the Foreven Sector of space. We're hard at work right now on our third adventure in the 4 adventure series, Prelude to War. Plus we have some new ships going to be released soon. We're really excited and looking forward to our future releases in Traveller.

Juums said:

The Foreven Sector is 1 sector spinward from the Spinward Marches. So we are in the same vicinity even if we are not exactly there.

We did consider working in the Marches and the Reaches (and we still may yet do so), but for the time being we are sticking with the Foreven Sector because we set it up exactly the way we wanted to. We are creating adventures that we wanted to create. Can we do those same adventures in the Spinward Marches or the Trojan Reaches, eh, maybe. More likely, I will have to adjust my vision to fit into certain areas, which I'd rather not do. We are leaving the door open to work in those areas someday, but we do not want to do that today, not when we have an area set up the way we want to already.

I wrote an adventure for TAS (the first product published under TAS actually) - It got good reviews, but didn't really sell that well. I cannot promote it on DTRPG, so I can't get the word out other than places like this.

I sold a similar product using the CE rules and it sold almost triple the number of units, mostly because of Advertising.

The Bronze Case on DTRPG if you are interested.

Back