Thinking of my next Conan purchase

Sir Hackalot

Mongoose
Hello,

I am thinking on my next payday to go to my FLGS and buy a new Conan RPG book. I will not have enough money to buy everything I want so I am stuck with just one. So someone please give me advice. My choices are:

Free Companies
Hyboria's Fallen
The Pirate Isles

Which do you think is the more professional book? I am leaning towards Fallen because I have the other two, Finest and Feircest.

Thank you,
:)

They're all good :D But if you have to choose one, might as well complete your 'set' and pick up Fallen.

If you had more choices or don't have, I'd say Road of Kings is a must-have after the core rulebook.

I absolutely loved Free Companies! That kind of emphasizes the uniqueness of each person and campaign or group - depending on where you are in your game should help you decide what supplement you should get next. Except for Road of Kings which is as important as the core rulebook for general information on each country.

Free Companies is a great resource for the mercenary groups that are all over Hyboria as well as expanding the military might of each country discussed in Road of Kings.

Strom said:
I absolutely loved Free Companies! That kind of emphasizes the uniqueness of each person and campaign or group - depending on where you are in your game should help you decide what supplement you should get next. Except for Road of Kings which is as important as the core rulebook for general information on each country.

Free Companies is a great resource for the mercenary groups that are all over Hyboria as well as expanding the military might of each country discussed in Road of Kings.

Perhaps I was too harsh with Free Companies.
My background is in publishing/writing/editing for publishers, and when I saw the editorial mistakes and glaring omissions, I couldn't help but cringe. I did very much like the multiclass options in the book, however.
I would still only rate it 7/10. (Pirate Isles 8/10, and the rest 10/10).

Yeah, it's a personal preference really - and editorial slip-ups go back to the first edition which forced the Atlantean reprint. That's a long story! I like Pirate Isles but only used it for the first time this past weekend in a game.

Back