Thinking about point values

But a good pointing system gives a basis that allows for play testing to amend the points.

Rather than wholesale use of the points from an entirely different system with different game mechanics being used and then significantly tweaked.

It doesn't take a complex system to see that the Fed BCJ being cheaper than the less capable NCC is wrong. Play testing should have spotted that. Heck a decent read of the rules books spots it.

BY importing the FC ship costs based on years of balancing the ships by play testing in games of FC you have a costing system that does not in any way relate to ACTA-SF.

The rules are going out, the games are being played. Once we have the reports from 1000 games then we have a solid basis for play tested points changes. But we need to be coming from a basic system that reflects ACTA NOT FC. This isn't FC. The ships may have the same shields, weapons etc but nothing works in the same way, the balance is completely different.

Many examples are, as a result of using the FC costs and not changing them, priced oddly.

You can look at the basic costs TJhairball has come up with and tweak from there or you can take the FC costs which have no relation to the game and tweak from there.

I have already mentioned the Kzinti FF works out under priced on his system because the package can be more or less effective than the sum of its parts. 10 Kzinti FFs is just broken, though once we get the Drone rules changed (Matt :wink: ) the FF may turn out to be priced about right.

The BCJ is clearly not a balanced cost compared to the 200+ point ships in the Fed fleet. Would you field an NCC in your fleet or would you go for the more capable (and cheaper) BCJ.

The points cost in the game should reflect the effectiveness in the battle, Matt has said that the points are based on its role within the fleet using Starship troopers as an example. But the BCJ does not fill a special role, its just a bigger more capable cruiser in a fleet full of cruisers. A variant with plasma’s replacing all the Photons and Drones is a significantly different ship and may come under Matt’s increased cost thing but the only current Fed ship with Plasmas-s swaps two Drones for Plasma-Fs and is the same price.

Likewise how is Lumbering and Racial Initiative bonus or penalties factored into the fleets. Is every Klingon ship a little bit more expensive to reflect that +1 Initiative bonus or is that not a factor and it just represents a bias towards certain races that is not balanced. :roll:

Yes Matt I know what you said. I have spent 30+ years wargaming and role playing, I play with quantum physics for fun, I have played and enjoyed SFB for 30 odd years and consider FC the intro level rules simplified for the children. I think the way I think, blame my brain :lol: :wink:

I think that while FC may have been a starting point, now that the rules are out, ACTA points can only be evaluated based on performance and characteristics within that game and short of adding new ships, we can forget about FC as a guide to costing.

I don't know how Agile and Lumbering work in FC but they are dramatic in ACTA. The difference between the 18th and 20th shield point in ACTA is huge whereas the difference between the 22nd and 28th shield is not so much. The Fed drone/ADD rack is a big defensive deal but of no real consequence offensively against anyone except Roms/Gorns since it can only operate in one mode per turn.

I expect the best adjustments and changes will be driven by extensive game play only plus a little common sense with things such as, if nobody uses ship X, there is probably a problem.

Captain Jonah said:
10 Kzinti FFs is just broken, though once we get the Drone rules changed (Matt :wink: ) the FF may turn out to be priced about right.

We have something in the works for this - if I get a few minutes this afternoon, I;ll do a post explaining what we need to achieve, what testing we have done thus far, and what our plan is for doing something about this issue.

Then you chaps can dive in and let us know what you think (hopefully with some games played!).

McKinstry said:
1 I think that while FC may have been a starting point, now that the rules are out, ACTA points can only be evaluated based on performance and characteristics within that game and short of adding new ships, we can forget about FC as a guide to costing.

2 I don't know how Agile and Lumbering work in FC but they are dramatic in ACTA. The difference between the 18th and 20th shield point in ACTA is huge whereas the difference between the 22nd and 28th shield is not so much. The Fed drone/ADD rack is a big defensive deal but of no real consequence offensively against anyone except Roms/Gorns since it can only operate in one mode per turn.

3 I expect the best adjustments and changes will be driven by extensive game play only plus a little common sense with things such as, if nobody uses ship X, there is probably a problem.

1 Very true. ACTA-SF is its own game and should develop as such.

I know we have the kindly jackboots of Jean looming over us and watching to keep us on the straight and narrow :lol: and I have no problem with things like weapons matching SFB/FC (as long as they take the right ones and as a long as the points reflect the fact that my ships just lost Phasers-1s that they had apparently had all through whatever play testing they actually got, remove two phaser-1s and the cost should go down.

2 Agile and Lumbering are not from FC or SFB. Ships have turn modes and the ability to make HETs based on how agile the ship is. There is no Lumbering in Either game and using it is akin to suicide since SFB/FC ships can turn every few hexes they move and would fly rings around any ship stuck with Lumbering. Bit like my poor Gorn really.

3 It doesn’t take a lot of game play, just look at the book. How did no one question the NCC/BCJ costing before the players got hold of the books for example.

msprange said:
Captain Jonah said:
10 Kzinti FFs is just broken, though once we get the Drone rules changed (Matt :wink: ) the FF may turn out to be priced about right.

We have something in the works for this - if I get a few minutes this afternoon, I;ll do a post explaining what we need to achieve, what testing we have done thus far, and what our plan is for doing something about this issue.

Then you chaps can dive in and let us know what you think (hopefully with some games played!).

We are waiting eagerly, hanging on your every word, staring at the screen waiting for the wisdom that you shall dispense (we hope). :wink:

Plus there seem to be a bunch of Drone test battles this weekend so it seems like a handy time. Play a set of Drone heavy games as is and then repeat using the changes.

Though we reserve the right to debate, consider criticize and amend everything you say :lol: :wink:

Jean wears jack boots i gotta have a picture. Hey can someone make a Calender of just jean Photos next to miniatures Kinda like old tool calenders.

So off topic but i got excited.

Captain Jonah said:
SFB and FC are nothing like ACTA-SF. The fact that the ships are based entirely on the FC costs reflecting how well they are balanced in FC is basically meaningless in ACTA-SF.

Having played a lot of all three games systems, I disagree. If they were meaningless, we would see many more points issues than we currently see. I believe it was Scoutdad who compared the other SFU games to SFACTA like this: "...it is amazing how similar the outcomes are." That strongly implies that the points build system got a great many things right.

However, there are some differences in outcomes. (Drones, BC-J's, etc) Let's all start tracking our games. That will allow us to start building the data set to determine if our initial gut checks are correct. At a minimum, we will need fleet comps, points and outcomes. It is also good to know if the dice rolls seemed to be off, and who was playing whom. Group name and player number works fine.

Then, we dump a mountain of data in TJHairballs lap and let him run regression analyses to figure out exactly what drives fleet performance. :twisted: Granted, we'll never get it exactly right, but it will be a lot of fun trying. And we will be able to prove what really needs changing.

Who is in?

I have a thread going here http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=50433. Everyone is welcome to post results and I'll add them to the spreadsheet. We stopped adding our results since we play with a bunch of house rules at this point, but I would be happy to record everyone elses.

Just a footnote on that - currently, gord314 only had win/loss and scale. If we want to evaluate the performance of individual ships, it's going to also mean recording which ships you had and which ships your opponent had.

If you throw a mountain of data at me, I'll cheerfully analyze ship performances from that.

Back