Things needed to play Conan (or any game really)

slaughterj

Mongoose
Things needed to play Conan:
1. Main rulebook with rules for character creation, combat, etc. - done
2. Setting to play in - done in main book and Road of Kings?
3. NPCs and monsters to interact and do battle with - hmmm, seems missing from the descriptions I have seen thus far.

To me, the 3 things above are the main essentials necessary to play the game. I might be able to get by with the main rulebook (which I understand has some setting info) and monster stats, but from everything I've read, it seems as if we are missing the monster stats. A really good book to put together would be one that included NPC and monster stats - might not be very big, but it should include regular animals as well as monsters, NPCs, extinct beasts (see thread on conan.com regarding sabertooth tigers, mastodons, aurochs, etc.). I think this is essential for game play. To what extent does the main rulebook include stats for anything - characters, monsters, or animals?

3 sample human npcs ready statted
Badger
Bear
Boar
Camel
Cattle
Deer
Dog
Eagle, Giant
Elk
Grey Ape
Horses
Panther
Raven
Sabre-tooth
Snakes
Spider, Giant
Wolf
Demons (assorted)
4 elementals
Ghosts
Ghouls
Man-Ape
Risen Dead
Spawn of Dagoth Hill
Vampire
Werebeasts

Thanks for the information, looks like a good start, I was concerned with so many talking about the lack of major NPC stats in the book, missing the naga in the god in the bowl stats, etc. - makes it sound even more like the game can be run from 1 book (though of course the others will be useful, but I'm talking about during the game session with combat and monsters, etc.).

Back