The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs

abrilt

Mongoose
I think that an untapped resource for gaming material are the Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The John Carter of Mars series
The Venus series
The Land that Time Forgot series
The Pellucidar series (ie the At The Earth's Core series)

This is all great stuff!!!

abrilt said:
I think that an untapped resource for gaming material are the Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The John Carter of Mars series
The Venus series
The Land that Time Forgot series
The Pellucidar series (ie the At The Earth's Core series)

This is all great stuff!!!

I can't agree more!
VSF is en vogue, especially John Carter is a very nice setting and best of all: no more copyright...
8)

Sorry for the oversight but I could not call myself a Burrough's fan if I forgot to mention:

TARZAN!!!!

Check out Bronze Age Minis by Dave Soderquist.... he's produced the best martian figs to date. I absolutely love Burroughs' Mars series and well... lets just say....there's potential here.

Jay

DaWarbossMI said:
Check out Bronze Age Minis by Dave Soderquist.... he's produced the best martian figs to date. I absolutely love Burroughs' Mars series and well... lets just say....there's potential here.

Jay

Now that you mention Davids minis... :wink:
JC_Thoat_TT_and_Dejah_Thoris.jpg

Martian_White_Ape_2.jpg

More on my website:
http://www.agisn.de/html/victorian_sf.html

Da Boss said:
ohh they are great - (even better if they came painted)

I was just reading Space 1889 as well :)
Thanks!
Oh - and Space 1889 is just great. I even own the audio books!

Best game system for "The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs"?

Do you thing RuneQuest?
or do you think Traveller?
or something entirely different?

Great painting Agis. I've been slowly getting my Red Men, Green Men and Black Men into form.

As far as the best RPG system for Mars... tough to tell, but I'd honestly say Feng Shui RPG system might be the best.... it is entirely driven by cinema not hard and fast rules. Given the OVER THE TOP actions of John Carter of Mars, I'd say this system would allow for the most cinematic playing.

Jay

A game based on ERB writings...8)
This looks so good I can't figure why nobody did it before (though there have been some non official attempts, like the forementioned Space 1889)!

They did, many years ago ...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34271

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3369

I think it's about time the idea was revisited.

Indeed, I remember the old SPI boardgame, but I wasn't aware of the Heritage miniature rules.

Burroughs deserves a decent RPG.

For those that don't hate Savage Worlds. Adamant Entertainment just released MARS for Savage Worlds. It is also available in d20.

Aric

A Barsoom RPG would be awesome.

If Mongoose were to publish it, it would make most sense base it on either MRQ or Traveller.
In either case, the system would probably need to be modified pretty heavily but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Indeed the MARS material from Adamant looks very much Barsoomesque...
And it's available for both D20 and Savage Worlds, although I think the latter would fit better for a fast paced/action packed ERB game...

Yeah, Adamant's MARS is about as close as you can get to Barsoom without actually infringing on copyright. Their Green Martians, for example, are near identical to ERB's, but have only two arms. If you prefer the classic version, it's easy enough to change under SW rules.

I think that the big problem has always been that the Burroughs Estate has blocked most of the companies from making anything Barsoom.

The result is that many companies have been putting out "just like the real thing" knock-offs, and naturally for legal reasons they can't be just like the real thing. I've got a whole pile of the stuff, and it's cool but it's not really Barsoom. (I have the SPI John Carter of Mars game, TSR's Warriors of Mars, and the Heritage minatures rules sets. They're Mars but no longer supported.)

Somebody needs to grab this franchise and do it right. Get the Michael Whelan artwork, the Frank Frazetta artwork, make it actually look like the Mars books. Get the rights to use actual names, to stat out actual characters and creatures of Barsoom. And the rulebook and any sourcebooks need to be in color. Ideally I'd love to see miniatures, but just getting a RPG would be amazing!

I'm not sure if it should be in RQ or d20 or what system. I'm not sure that it would matter. If anyone lands the franchise and does it right, I'll throw away half my Mars collection and only keep the "real thing."

Back