The War of Tarim

There's a story arc that starts in The Chronicles of Conan vol. 3 and ends in vol. 4 that I think would make for a damn good campaign. I may even use it in my Conan game.

It's set around the Vilayet sea. A Hyrkanian city-state, called Makkalet on the eastern shores of the Vilayet has stolen the living god (the holy object of the Tarim religion) from Aghapur. Yildz is still king of Turan, and he sends a massed army to besiege Makkalet, led by the crown prince himself, Yezdigerd. The players, of course, will become embroiled in this cluster-joined, topsy-turvey, twisty-misty story.

This tale has it all--scheming sorcerers and priests, a new religion, opportunities to you one of the mass battle combat systems from the game, backstabbing NPCs, and even an opportunity to bring Red Sonja into your game (as this is her first appearance ever in a Conan comic).

Use each tale in this story arc as its own separate adventure. Put them together, and you've got your campaign.

Episode I: Hawks From The Sea, in which the players become embroiled in this mess. The assault on Makkalet as begun!

Episode II: The Black Hound of Vengeance, in which the players make a reoccuring enemy of the crown prince of Turan!

Episode III: Monster of the Monoliths, in which the players switch sides in the battle! But, only to be used by the other side!

Episode IV: The Shadow of the Vulture, where the players are hunted by the most feared bounty hunter of all the surrounding territories of the Vilayet.

Episode V: The Song of Red Sonja, in which the players make an ally of the red haird sword master....or, do they?

Episode VI: The Mirrors of Kharam-Akkad, in which the players learn that part of this tale stretches back to the time of Kull!

Episode VII: The Hour of the Griffin, in which the players learn about their part in destiny.

Taken together, this could be a fantastic adventure for a Conan gaming group. There's lots of room, too, for events to unfold uniquely, making your Conan campaign much different from the tale told in these comics.

You'll enjoy the read (vol. 3 is where the Marvel Conan comics start getting "good" imo), and it's a great resource for your Conan campaign.

It's an epic story with that unique Hyborian Age feel.

Highly recommended.

Back