The Valen Tell me what you think

jlcg1977

Mongoose
How about these stats for the Valen as seen in legend of the rangers and in the Legend of the Rangers Book for the B5 RPG.
Let me know what you think.

Class/PL: Valen / War

Speed: 10 In service: 2262

Turns: 1/90 Craft: 1Nial Flight

Hull: 5 Special Rules: Atmospheric, Flight Computer, Advanced Jump
Engine, Unique, Anti-Fighter 6, Interceptors 6,
Adaptive Armour, Command +2

Damage: 100/20 Crew: 90/15

Weapons AD Range Arc Special

Improved Neutron Laser 6 30 F Beam,Precise,Triple Damage

Neutrinon Blaster 8 18 T Double Damage,Super AP, Twin-Linked

Fusion Cannon 4 12 F Mini Beam,Twin-Linked

That is a very, very nasty ship that outguns most Armageddon level ships.

32 AD of turreted weapons, neutrino blasters that are super AP and twin-linked - horrendous.

Hi Like the avatar but maybe a bit smaller :)

Ship - I think there should be two versions of this ship - the ship that Sheridan uses to go to B5 and the Minbari warship as I got the impresson that it was a Valen class Cruiser which implies that there is more than one?

Stats need to be reduced somewhat - for instance - why interceptors - not a Minbari thing - now perhaps a diplomatic transport is more likely to have.

regards

The Adaptive Armor makes it a bit too powerfull and Int do not really fit to a Minbari ship

I would like it if the next version of IFH would finally be published

There's no way the flying brick Valen was atmospheric. Since it was a joint EA-Minbari project, I'd drop the adaptive armour and give it some interceptors. Maybe 2. Maybe throw some pulse cannons in there for character, too.

I assume that jlcg1977 is basing it on the LotR RPG book.

Now I haven't seen it, but based on his original design, a war level version would look something like:

Speed: 10 In service: 2262

Turns: 1/45 Craft: 1Nial Flight

Hull: 5 Special Rules: Flight Computer, Advanced Jump
Engine, Unique, Anti-Fighter 6, Interceptors 6,
Adaptive Armour, Command +2

Damage: 50/10 Crew: 45/8

Weapons AD Range Arc Special

Improved Neutron Laser 6 30 F Beam,Precise,Triple Damage

Neutrino Blaster 8 18 T Double Damage,Super AP, Twin-Linked

Fusion Cannon 4 18 F Mini Beam,Twin-Linked

---------
Adaptive armour roughly doubles the damage and crew scores (depending on what hits it it can reduce damage by as much as a third, or not at all).

It has high interceptor and AF scores, but equal to some war level ships.

Hull 5 means it needs more damage and crew than normal war-level ships, unless the intent is to make it a glass hammer.

It's weaponry is nasty, long ranged and hard hitting. Which is why I have left it with relatively low AD. Turreted AD is a lot more flexible than spreading AD over 4 arcs.

The fusion cannons should be range 18, to fit in with other Minbari ships.

-----------
Fluff-wise, hull 5 & adaptive armour reflects Vorlon hulls like the White Star. The Valen looks like an EA ship with an armoured hull. If it has the Victory's crystaline armour, it should be hull 6.

The EA part of the design is only slightly refelected in the stats (interceptors and anti-fighter). I'd be tempted to add a little more EA tech, maybe replace the Fusion cannons with pulse cannons.

Da Boss said:
Ship - I think there should be two versions of this ship - the ship that Sheridan uses to go to B5 and the Minbari warship as I got the impresson that it was a Valen class Cruiser which implies that there is more than one?

Stats need to be reduced somewhat - for instance - why interceptors - not a Minbari thing - now perhaps a diplomatic transport is more likely to have.

regards

Yes, there are two versions of the ship; the first being the LotR one (No, not Lord of the Ringers :p) and the other being the Lost Tales one. Its my personal belief though that with the destruction of the prototype by the Hand; the ISA decided the Minbari should build the next Valen class vessel.

Anyway, I think the LotR Valen should have Interceptors but no adaptive armour. Just my thought on it.

I'm sure I read some fluff about the Valen having poor defences to the side and almost none in the rear. Somthing to do with it being designed as a linebreaker/attack ship (this was the LOTR style one, dont know if the FT one would be different). I'll try to find it when I get home.

jlcg1977, your version is WAY overpowered. I wouldn't like to face it if it was Armageddon PL.

Im not even going to read this thread till that avatar is either sized down or removed. Really thats taking the smeg, and a site admin should remove it if the user doesnt....

Lord David the Denied said:
There's no way the flying brick Valen was atmospheric. Since it was a joint EA-Minbari project, I'd drop the adaptive armour and give it some interceptors. Maybe 2. Maybe throw some pulse cannons in there for character, too.

I would like to think it was atmospheric as it actually took off from the ground on minbar ;)

as for the various comments - yes its too powerful. also the ISA could do with another ship at battle rather than war so would put it there instead.

probably have a minbari nuetron laser (4AD DD P fore arc), some EA heavy pulse in the front arc and maybe some to the sides. with interceptors for defense.

How powerful was the Valen Class really? It was destroyed by a ship that itself was destroyed by grenades. I can see ships not being as armored on the inside but that handful of grenades they put in the escape pod should not have blown the ship to bits, unless their ship builders went to the Neimoidian school of ship building (You want to put our ships main reactors in the hanger bay? BRILLIANT)

All joking aside, I think Gregs stats arent to bad, it retains adaptive armor (which in this case is probably a weaker version of the crytalline armor), but it is hull 5 and lower damage and crew which does make it overpowered. The 2 turreted guns are much better then the 5 it had before that was way to much, it had more attack dice of turreted guns than the victory has. It can still be a formidable combat ship with out becoming an obvious choice like some ships from 1st ed.

First off the Valen is a product of earth and minbari, second there is no way that after having the Adaptive Armour you would build a ship and not use that again, second as it is also of EA construction it makes senc that it has interceptors after all the Virctory for example. as for it's weapons yes I used mostly the RPG book to asine the weapons and they are no more the a powerful minbari war class ship has. But I will concide to lowering the Damage: 60/20 as compaired to the sharlin class and remember this dosen't have stelth or advanced anti-fighter. As for the new one seen on Lost Tales well in another post but I would say this for it's new drive system a new rule should be that it can jump any time in or out and that it can attack and use special actions on the turn it came into real space but that is for the new one seen on Lost Tales not the curent one I was working on.

About the atmosphericI could drop it I was just remembering that in the show if you actualy watched the show it landed on Minbar. as for how the ships that destroyed it did so with what seemed to be ease read the RPG I think they gave a good reasion if you want to get technal, they had way more firepower then thay had hull and their desine is weak inside details as I was saying are in the Legand of the Rangers RPG handbook.

Back