The Trailing Frontier - Now on Pre-Order & PDF

MongooseBella

Administrator
Staff member
A new Traveller book is out now! Discover the Trailing Frontier in this 264-page hardback, covering the Gateway and Ley sectors.

You can grab your own copy here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/the-trailing-frontier?variant=43828078248183

Ebook - Trailing Frontier - Front cover.jpg

The Trailing Frontier... a region of contradictions. At once a safe province and the future site of Humaniti's death-struggle against the K’kree of the Two Thousand Worlds; a backwater and a frontier. Half of the region lies within the Third Imperium, the other half is home to minor states and independent worlds. Beyond lies the territory of the Lords of Thunder, militant herbivores who have vowed to exterminate all meat-eaters.

The Imperium considers the Gateway sector to be of vast strategic importance, yet cannot spare the resources to tame it. Instead, a host of entrepreneurs and small-ship owners cross the border in search of fortune and perhaps glory. Far from the strictures of Imperial regulations, the Trailing Frontier is a place to play fast and loose - and to be ready to make a quick exit. It is a hunting-ground for pirates and mercenaries, a golden opportunity for merchants and adventurers, and a graveyard for the unwary!

Includes poster maps for the Ley and Gateway sectors.

The trailing Frontier spread 1.jpgThe trailing Frontier spread 2.jpgThe trailing Frontier spread 3.jpg

On Apple systems, the first and last pages are blank and much of the interior artwork appears only as blurred outlines.

You need to fix this.

Hello, first time poster in this forum. I bought the pdf of this product and have noticed a few errors I wanted to bring to your attention. On page 129, in the chapter about the Gateway sector, the map given is not a map of that sector but rather a copy of the map of the Ley sector from page 62. I also notice that on those maps that Nightmare subsection is instead labelled Knightmare.

Likewise on both of the maps provided alongside the book the subsection minimaps to the right of the main maps are labelled Riftspan Reaches rather than the actual sector names. Not quite an error but is there a reason why that wider Charted Space to the bottom of the main maps are so spinwards orientated; it especially makes it awkward for the Gateway map where it seems that the Gateway sector is practically off the wider Charted Space map.

Likewise, not an error, or a problem really, but I notice that the timeline in the Gateway sector seems to have been reversed somewhat compared to what was previously published. In "Mercenaries of Charted Space" the Lords of Thunder invasion of the Renkard Union is well underway, with the capital of Silest having been conquered by them. Is there any particular reason why you decided to make the war imminent but not started yet in "The Trailer Frontier"?

I thank you for your time and hope that this was not too wordy.

Last edited:
On Apple systems, the first and last pages are blank and much of the interior artwork appears only as blurred outlines.

You need to fix this.
Yeah, as I mentioned in a previous post, they have used the wrong colour profile , CMYK, for some images. 'Wrong' in the sense it is not compatible with all versions of all viewers.

I am sorry, but I have noticed a few more errors that you may want to address. On page 180, in the box talking about the planet Indolence, practically all of the hexadecimal code is misinterpreted. Examples include the starport rating of "D", which actually means poor, refers to an "excellent" starport and that a population rating of "4" means "tens of millions" instead of tens of thousands, the latter fits with the more complete description of the world provided.

I also notice, on page 193, that the table about PAD Missile Launchers lacks a technology level rating. Likewise, the cost for each entry is simply listed as MCr rather than any particular multiplication of MCr. It is possible that each item costs MCr1, but in that case I believe it should be listed as MCr1 as such notation is used elsewhere in the book.

I hope these observations are useful and that I am not being rude. I should note that unless I am told to stop I will continue to bring up mistakes I find in the book, so please tell me if this is not something you desire so that I can stop being an imposition.

I thank you for your time.

On page 26 in the Sydite stat block it is stated that when working with the lower limbs a Sydite's STR gains +2. This should read “when working with the UPPER limbs a Sydite’s STR gains +2…Conversely, the LOWER limbs should have the DEX +2. The illustration is correct, showing the right placement of the arms. The description is incorrect with the arms abilities swapped. This is of coarse assuming there hasn’t been an official change regarding Sydite arms. In either case, the illustration and description should match :)

On page 32 the Faar give a bonus of +2 to INT, but describes the race as being heavy worlders which are blocks of muscle and bone. Should their be a STR and END bonus and a DEX penalty?

The Wanderers on page 32 also don’t seem to have the right stat mods. From memory they should have a negative to their STR and END with a bonus to their DEX.

I’ll note more typos as I find them.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Ley and Trailing when T20 did it way back when.
I liked the backwater /backdoor setting, the turbulent politics, the baker's dozen petty states, the interesting alien races, and, just over the horizon, Cosmic Cows with Guns :LOL:

The Art for the Sydite doesn't match the description, the larger more muscular arms should be the lower arms while the small arms are above them, they are reversed in the art on page 26.

The art is correct, the description is wrong.
Probably. The Sydite art is consistent between the current and d20 version. The latter says the two upper arms are stronger, and that seems more intuitive to me as well. Same author (well, Martin was one of two on the d20 version) so either the writing is an intentional retcon, an error, or an editor run wild.

I'm way behind on my own project, so I won't be doing a detailed errata thing for this one, but the result of the Coralee War are not reflected on the map. The map shows it as the Concourse, not the Confederacy, is the controlling power. It could be that the map indicates 'legal' or 'legacy' versus actual status, but it's confusing when the text on both p.50 and on p. 164 indicate Confederacy control.

Is Shikimi (p. 106) supposed to be Taylor's World? Because there is no Shikimi and Shikirmi is a nice habitable world...

(since this is still the last entry in this thread and I have no desire to gratuitously increase my post count, I'll just add to this post since it's essentially current):
p. 123 - Lepanto is described as an Amber Zone ("and is likely to remain so") but though it was in 993 with Gateway to Destiny, it's not Amber anymore in the 'Golden Era' in this book's maps or on Travellermap.
p, 129 - already noted, but the map is of Ley, not Gateway.
p. 131 The world 'Isolation' is spelled as "Isolattion" on the subsector map.
p. 146 Windfleet subsector listing is not the right subsector... it is a repeat of Guadix Drift.
p. 148 The box for Dova's World lists Pop 4 as 'Thousands' instead of 'Tens of Thousands' and Gov 4 as "No Government Structure' instead of 'Representative Democracy'
(I said I wasn't going to do a detailed list, but obviously I lied)
p. 149 Every descriptor in the Gateway box is wrong, copied from Splinter...

Last edited:
Generally, the supplement is a poorly and sloppily rewritten version of the D20. Lots of typos, twisted names KIIRIISHI? Kiiriirshi according to canon? Where exactly is the LSCA described? It looks like someone ripped a piece of description out of context. Several races are not described, other alien races are briefly described. There is no detailed description of the Luriani and their ships, when they are the main player in the Ley sector.

It's likely an early draft submitted by mistake.

One thing is for certain, it should be completely re-written and edited before it goes anywhere near a printer. Just when Mongoose was improving after the core rulebook update special edition fiasco they offer up this.

So, moving on. It would have been nice to see a little more development on alien races, like the Dastri and other minor races not even mentioned, and some theorizing on the origin of the Swanfei prior to arrival on Carlton, but I think I complete re-write is a little harsh. Plus, there's page count to consider. Tree-books, which I still prefer, have limits beyond which costs go up.
p. 164 Taravesh - 'gat giants' gas

I don't think in its present state it can possibly go to the printers.
The amount of errata, canon conflict etc. makes this a very flawed book until it is fixed.

So, moving on. It would have been nice to see a little more development on alien races, like the Dastri and other minor races not even mentioned, and some theorizing on the origin of the Swanfei prior to arrival on Carlton, but I think I complete re-write is a little harsh. Plus, there's page count to consider. Tree-books, which I still prefer, have limits beyond which costs go up.
p. 164 Taravesh - 'gat giants' gas
All descriptions of planets are copied from D20, often not even well edited. No Luriani. Cluster names completely inconsistent with canon. Sentences taken out of context. Half of the alien races appearing in the sectors are missing. This really isn't suitable for print.

Back