The Terror of the Unknown

Yokiboy

Mongoose
Hi gang,

Any word on how the Demon Killer feat is actually supposed to work? See page 114 for the complete write up, or my quick summary below.

It says that you are immune to fear effects from creatures of the defeated type (don't think they're referencing regular SRD monster "types" here, but the actual type or race of the monster) and gain +2 bonus to Will saves versus Terror.

However, on page 313 under The Terror of the Unknown heading, it says that any time a character encounters a monster he has not encountered before, he must make a Will save.

So what good is the Demon Killer feat if the RAW state that you only have to save vs terror the first time you encounter any given monster? Or are they talking the actual individual monster in The Terror of the Unknown section? :?

I'm designing an adventure based on the SSOC story The Slithering God, and want to know how to treat monsters and terror saves.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I'd say the RAW indicate individual monsters you've seen before, rather than types that you've seen before. So, if you've seen and survived an encounter with a Pictish swamp devil, you would be immune to fear from that specific devil. However, if you had the Demon Killer feat, you'd be immune to fear from all Pictish swamp demons.

Just my 2 pieces of eight.

Johannixx said:
I'd say the RAW indicate individual monsters you've seen before, rather than types that you've seen before. So, if you've seen and survived an encounter with a Pictish swamp devil, you would be immune to fear from that specific devil. However, if you had the Demon Killer feat, you'd be immune to fear from all Pictish swamp demons.

That's about how I understood it too, but isn't that pretty lame? So after Conan (can't possible have every feat right?) has hacked his way through an army of Ape Men he still might get scared of the 128th one he meets... I don't see it. :roll:

I'll have to house rule this somehow and don't foresee the feat showing up in my games.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

How about this: you always must check for Terror against a type of monster or demon until you have succeeded in two checks, or one check by 5+.

I don't claim that this will actually be practical for play, but it's a good starting point.

InsomNY said:
How about this: you always must check for Terror against a type of monster or demon until you have succeeded in two checks, or one check by 5+.

I don't claim that this will actually be practical for play, but it's a good starting point.

For ease of play, I think I'll go with saves vs Terror until you succeed at a save. I.e. everyone has the Demon Killer feat. :D

However, then we must remember who's made a successful save versus which creature, and that's no fun either... :x

I just don't want to roll saves vs creatures everytime they stroll around another corner, and there's another Ape Man... How about one save per day versus any given species of monster? Now that I could manage, and still make Demon Killer a valuable feat. Ha, a solution! Excuse the thinking out loud exercise. :lol:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back