The Techno-Mage?

Your best bet here is to get a hold of the Technomage trilogy. It gives the Vorlon point of view concerning the Technomages.

Aside from that, most Vorlons consider the mages to be influenced by the Shadows; this has noted exceptions however.

Agent One said:
From the "more information than you really wanted" department:

Techno-mages must be vertebrates with a generally humanoid form and nervous system. The tech that gives them their powers must conform to this basic standard. The race must not be inherently telepathic, because mages and telepathy don't get along. Hmm, I wonder why that could be...?

Thus, for example, the Gaim can't be telepaths because their insectoid forms don't have the right kind of nervous system, and the Vree can't join with the tech because their telepathic nature makes them incompatible. Historically, most of the other B5 races have representatives among the mages, and there are rules in the book for racial benefits related to magery.

By the way, the book also has rules for two new races, the Kaitay and the Taratimude, the latter of which has Techno-mage as a favoured class.

The Minbari are probably pretty unlikely, just based on their racial hostility to the Shadows. I was tempted to write a historical incident where they tried to take Technomage implants and the results (with some genetic coding put in them by the Vorlons) was rather. . . messy. Never did write it up, figured Bruce wouldn't like me limiting player options!

I would think that they would be pretty rare, though. Drazi are probably beligerent enough that putting agression-enhancing Shadow-tech in them would cause rather quick and brutal lives for most.

Matt

actualy this is what you said Agent 1

"Thus, for example, the Gaim can't be telepaths because their insectoid forms don't have the right kind of nervous system...." thats your exact quote....

all i was saying didnt you mean the gaim cant be Techno-Mages

ronbogard said:
Sounds great. But one of my players was going for the Techno-Mage Prestige class. So I take it now they just can Multi-class into that class.

Hmmm I (a player) was also trying for that Techno-Mage PrC. Now that it is a full blow class (in which its not possible to multi-class). Will we perhaps see an update of the Techno-Mage PrC? *looks hopefully*

It is clear that techno-mages can't multiclass but someone not yet a techno mage should be able to become one still (even though the requirements are bound to be high -- as they are in the original Techno-Mage PrC).

Any info on that?

Anyway, thanks to all the Mongoose-Guys for allowing us to infuse the B5 universe with our own deads when being able to play in it!

--Xular Al'dan

Xular said:
It is clear that techno-mages can't multiclass but someone not yet a techno mage should be able to become one still (even though the requirements are bound to be high -- as they are in the original Techno-Mage PrC).

So just registred so that I can now edit my posts :wink:

Just wanted to add that my suggestion would be to allow ppl to multiclass into Technomages when they fulfill the demanding requirements for the old Techno-Mage PrC. At least that's what I would like to suggest my GM. Any thoughts on that? Would you as a GM say 'yes' to that? (Well of course thats only rule-wise, a mentor and a crysalis have to be found as well during adventuring - or better the mentor has to find the one worhty).

--Xular

The Mentor may be doable, but there is very little chance of just finding a chrysalis. They have to be designed specifically for the user in order to match appropriately to their genetic makeup. As for the rules in order to become a Technomage, yes they should be very stringent, and even then I would only allow it if the player could truly demonstrate that their character was worthy of taking such a risk on.

Just wanted to add that my suggestion would be to allow ppl to multiclass into Technomages when they fulfill the demanding requirements for the old Techno-Mage PrC. At least that's what I would like to suggest my GM

we will see if an earth officier can become something greater

something like a techno-mage

*cruel gm grinning*

I would not allow characters to multi-class into the Technomage base class. If they wanted to become a technomage after initial character creation, they would have to take the Prestige Class instead. I believe that is what it is for.

PottsBr said:
I would not allow characters to multi-class into the Technomage base class. If they wanted to become a technomage after initial character creation, they would have to take the Prestige Class instead. I believe that is what it is for.

Be that as it may. Would have been nice if the Techno-Mage book included an update or at least a reference to said PrC. Anyone here who might know if the Techno-Mage PrC will geht an update now that the Technomage book ist out? Would be cool!

*waves to Methos* well yeah will will see :wink: Said EarthForce Officer will surely try to grow beyond his dreams (which are to serve Earh faithfully atm).

I wouldn't allow technomages in my station based campaign at the start, they're a bit gnarly. I would allow the prestige class, provided the player works for it and does the whole aprrentice stick. It would change the feel of the game some though.

If I was running Crusade however, I'd allow a technomage from the start, and use the supplement, because crusade is a gnarly campaign with uber characters.

Back