The Swamp Horror - my latest creation!

Tias

Mongoose
..and a golden age of PC games tribute to boot! It's been a while since I was here, so I thought I'd share the latest monstrosity I'm springing on my unsuspecting players :twisted:

Swamp Horror

Native to the world of Axalana, but possible made in other Legendary Worlds as well - the swamp horror is a horrible guardian creature, a golem-like creature made from the mud of a swamp corrupted by an evil sorceror, most often to guard their lairs - though they make terrifying assassins against other denizens of the forest its master has made his or her home in.

To create it, one needs the skull of a dire ram sacrificed in the dread god Othuls name, though other evil cults or grimoires could conceivably glean a way to make them - and a moist swamp, mangrove or other precipitated, mud-rich areas work best, in which has been spilled the blood of a sentient creature the sorceror bears no prior grudge.

The horror is animated by a solid core of dark magic, and is thus horribly strong, the magical power even hardening whatever natural weapons (often rotten logs or demihuman corpses) it uses! It stands taller than an Ogre, a stumbling, rotting mound of mud and debris, headed by the twisted ram skull, now glowing with cold, red, malicious light.

The horror will often lay under the mud surface, attempting to surprise adventurers and asphyxiate them under the mud, using tendrils of bone or other debris to impale and pulp them as they choke. A perception check should generally by granted to notice the mud moving below the character, as should an evade check to avoid being instant-crushed by the horror.

STR 18
CON 18
SIZ 24
INT 5
POW 13
DEX 10
CHA x

HP: Abdomen: 9 Chest: 10 L. Arm: 7 R. Arm: 7 Head: 8 (major injury to the head will kill the Horror, rupturing the ensorcelled seat of it's animation)
AP: All: 2

Traits: Dark Sight, Nerveless and formidable natural weapons. May also be considered undead, and subject to turning by good/neutral clerics, given an appropriate setting.

Weapons:
Gore 30% - 1d6+1d8 (Reach T, Size M)
Unnaturally hardened corpse/rotten log/stone 50% - 1d8+1d8 (Varies, an ensorcelled mangrove log would be Reach L, Size L)
The Swamp Horror prefers to Bash Opponent, Sunder and Stun Location, which it can do with both weapons.

Combat Actions: 2
Strike Rank: +7
Move: 4m

Skills: Brawn 68%, Resilience 80%, Perception 50%*, Persistence 70%

*Though it gets +20% when detecting PCs in it's muddy lair, due to its magical connection to the horror.

..As I imply in the text, everyone is free to use it, change it etc. and for those not in the know, it is an unapolegetic homage to the Mudman from Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight <3 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvS4uhVXkmM

Nice one, those mud men were probably the most difficult enemies in Moonstone, because one mistake could kill you.

PS: Movement rate, weapon reach and size of it's natural weapons are missing. You also might want to give it some skills like resilience, persistence and stealth (for sneaking against the unsuspecting heroes).

The Wolf said:
Yes! Moonstone, now that's a game I haven't seen in aons!

I used to play the Amiga version a lot with my little brothers and friends. We regularly played 4 player games. That was one of the best action RPGs I have ever played.

Olaus, yeah - I loved Moonstone and we'd regularly have Amiga play sessions of that game. :)

I have been keeping an eye on this page: http://www.moonstonetavern.co.uk/remake.htm

To the topic at hand, what Olaus said regarding missing skills, they definitely need things like resilience and persistence. If it is a sneaky opponent then it needs stealth to amush the players etc.

Even if a creature doesn't 'put any points' into Persistence or Resilience (or Evade for that matter), it's always a good idea to list them at the Base Score in the statblock because there's a good chance that they will end up using one of those skills to resist the abilities of the player characters at some point...

(It's also always a good idea to list a Perception skill so the GM knows how good the critter is at detecting sneaky PCs).

As has been said, the Moonstone Tavern has a windows-compatible player <3

I added the missing skills, though I don't really see it as something that Evades. Perhaps it needs more armour.

E: Is there a trait, besides high persistence, that renders a creature immune to magical charm/mind magic? I can't really see the creature being dominated by anything other than an evil cleric/wizard of higher Magnitude.

Back