The Scholar Class: PC or NPC only?

Yogah of Yag said:
Decurio said:
You know its a good party when the day after, you have to use a hose to clean up... :D

Or a flamethrower.
Flamethrower. Hhhmmm. That gives me an adventure seed idea (a la Fahrenheit 451):

A vocal, right-wing individual/group in a city has outlawed all written materials and has city-wide bonfires. Anyone who has possession of a book/scroll/etc. is placed under arrest.......A scholar (N)PC would, of course, be outraged/upset about this and would need help of PCs to fend off the rabid masses of self-righteous, over-zealous bibliophobes, so that he could save some of the precious tomes. What do you think?
Sounds like the Middle Ages/Crusades... then again it also sounds like that excellent scene at the school in "Footloose" where John Lithgow's character stops his overzealous parishoners from buring the school's library books. [Oh well, looked all over the internet but couldn't find an image of that scene].

I have played a scholar in Conan RPG from day one. When I joined the campaign, the GM told me he didn't understand the class very well, and he recommended against it, but I went ahead anyhow. Everyone else was combat oriented, but I stuck it out, and now I'm having a blast. The GM is really happy with how the character has turned out. I'm really throwing some twists into the game.

Let the play scholars! :eek:

rfsdata, welcome to the boards! Yeah, the scholar class is a bit tricky to get a handle on at first, especially for people used to playing other fantasy RPGs wherein the wizards are fireball machines. Do that in Hyboria, and you get squished.

I think thats another reason I like the scholar class-you really have to use your brain and plan ahead.

Back