The Robot Handbook is Here!

Power is rather abstracted. The upcoming Tools for Frontier Living (2300AD) is supposed to have more detail on that and I put some more definition about that can recharge what, though not timeframes, in the CSC update. But not much now.
There are biological robots as options, and metamorphic robots (though at TL17) which are basically liquid metal-like. And well as for non-functional (I would presume ) organs, well, the design rules don't really specify the number of legs or wheels, so you can abstract anyway you want. But no, not everything was taken from that previous book and moved forward.

Hmm, I wonder how much a grav mobile robot that can carry a human will be...
or a grav mobile autodoc with a couple of guns for 'defence', may as well armour it too...

Just wondering if this has happened yet?
I was given some stuff to look over and comment on this morning (their afternoon), so soon-ish, but certainly not today. Drivethru should notify you if there's an updated file when it happens.

Under Hacking Robots, it says that the task is Difficult (10+) for Security/0, but it should be Average per the CRB. Was this a mistake, or just meant to represent robots being tougher nuts to crack? If it's the latter, could each of the brain's security software be listed as one level higher to avoid confusion?

Under Hacking Robots, it says that the task is Difficult (10+) for Security/0, but it should be Average per the CRB. Was this a mistake, or just meant to represent robots being tougher nuts to crack? If it's the latter, could each of the brain's security software be listed as one level higher to avoid confusion?
It was intentional. A robot is a little tougher to crack. Not only can it fight back, but it's not designed for general purpose computing. An analogy would be the stripped-down unix kernels used for some specialized hardware and virtual appliances these days - smaller attack surface for the hacker. (or so the sales people keep telling me).

Last one, I promise! (Okay, probably not.)
If an attack roll against a robot has Effect 6+ and
causes damage (make sure to consider armour
protection), a critical hit has been scored.
The Severity of the critical hit is equal to the Effect of
the attack roll.
Considering most the the Severity 6 crits are things that'll at best take a hell of a lot of time to fix, at worse take you out of the fight permanently... I get robots are probably more squishy than vehicles & starships, but that seems a bit harsh!

I was given some stuff to look over and comment on this morning (their afternoon), so soon-ish, but certainly not today. Drivethru should notify you if there's an updated file when it happens.
Are these corrections going to make it into the print copies? Are you still canvassing for errors before sending to the printers?

Are these corrections going to make it into the print copies? Are you still canvassing for errors before sending to the printers?
It's likely going to the printers tomorrow. I just got another copy to look at so if you see something, say something. (hmm, isn't that a public service announcement of some kind?)

Thank you for the timely question, I was starting to feel like a prick. Still am one, but now I feel less remorse!

Last one, I promise! (Okay, probably not.)

Considering most the the Severity 6 crits are things that'll at best take a hell of a lot of time to fix, at worse take you out of the fight permanently... I get robots are probably more squishy than vehicles & starships, but that seems a bit harsh!
Good catch!
It should mirror the language of the vehicle crits in the core update:
So on page 110.

"The Severity of the critical hit is equal to the Effect of
the attack roll minus 5."

Good catch!
It should mirror the language of the vehicle crits in the core update:
So on page 110.

"The Severity of the critical hit is equal to the Effect of
the attack roll minus 5."
Oh thank god, I thought that was a deliberate ruling. That would've seriously messed with my willingness to play one.

No robot size in the stat blocks? Oh well…

And the robots that appear to only have a vehicle speed movement system (battle mule and medium zhodani warbot for example) seem to still need to run off the vastly lower endurance within parenthesis as soon as they wish to move at all, unless I misread something?

Last edited:
No robot size in the stat blocks? Oh well…

And the robots that appear to only have a vehicle speed movement system (battle mule and medium zhodani warbot for example) seem to still need to run off the vastly lower endurance within parenthesis as soon as they wish to move at all, unless I misread something?
There's no vehicle slots in their stat box either... I know, not the same thing. Problem is, the block has actually made it into a number of already released books, and it is derivable from the size (Large/Small +/- X) trait: just add 5. (yeah, sorry, math - but if that's too much math you're going to hate the new WBH).

And it didn't make it into the text, but you can assume that standard movement rates (5 for walkers, 6 for grav, etc.: use 5 + Agility value for the locomotion type as the default) will not trigger the movement rate endurance penalties. The '-' (that's a dash in quotes not a poor emoji imitation) was what was being entered for vehicle-class movement in the previous block. Plus the text does say 'Vehicle speed movement reduces a robot’s endurance by a factor of four when in use' which can imply if its not 'vehicle speed' then it's not 'in use'. Okay, not perfect.

And that's all the excuses I have today...

True, did not think about that regarding already published stat blocks

And as you say, it can be calculated easily.

Speed thing makes perfect sense! That’s how I was planning to do it, and I guess my interpretation regarding in use was needlessly strict. Yours is much better!

Basically assume normal move always meaning regular endurance, anything more than that per move action and vehicle mode kicks in?

I’d call them explanations rather than excuses, thanks for clarifying!

P.190 the Hikare’ tech bot has no stats for its third arm, unless it represents the various toolkits?
That does appear to be an error on my part. Unfortunately, with no spare slots, there is no way to give it an arm (Size 3, STR 6 DEX 9) without dropping one Hit from the total (so down to 23). Price would remain the same.

That does appear to be an error on my part. Unfortunately, with no spare slots, there is no way to give it an arm (Size 3, STR 6 DEX 9) without dropping one Hit from the total (so down to 23). Price would remain the same.
And by making that adjustment, you demonstrated how quick and easy the design system is to use, both to build and to make changes :)

Back