The Price of Books

Greg Smith

Mongoose
Alas I sold all of my Lone Wolf books about 10 years ago, when times were hard. I only had the first 10 or so, although they were mostly signed. :cry:

But now I have been trying to collect them all over again. 1-20 won't be to difficult to get, but 21-28 are hugely expensive. They go for £40 or more on ebay, and second hand book stores on the web have them listed at prices upto $350. :shock:

Does anyone really pay those insane prices? Has anyone here spent hundreds of pounds on a used paperback book?

Oh, even the Grand Master books leave the reasonable price range often enough. The worst I've ever seen was of course The Buccaneers of Shadaki, condition "Good", on Amazon.co.uk Marketplace for a mere £359.95 (661.15 American dollars) ...

But even so, sometimes these offers disappear after a while. Hard to say if the seller gave up or if someone really bought the book, though ...

Paido, poor as a church mouse

HOW MUCH?! :shock: I just found a beaten up old copy of The Buccaneers of Shadaki at the back of my cupboard, but since it's only in "Fair" condition I guess I could ONLY get about $500AU for it. :cry:

Anyway I'm off to e-bay to find me a sucker. :wink:

Hmm...

I have before me The Buccaneers of Shadaki, Very Good condition (minor front cover wear).

*Glee*

Interestingly, the price tag on the back reads $8.95.

The prevailing publishing wisdom seems to be that the solo gamebook market is no longer profitable. While this may be true in general, I can't help but think Lone Wolf would be an exception to this rule, however.

I would have have to agree to agrre with you.

Most likely if someone were to republish the entire Lone Wolf Series, I would buy them all, even though i already own upto book #23.

Who else would do the same?

SableWyvern said:
Hmm...

I have before me The Buccaneers of Shadaki, Very Good condition (minor front cover wear).

*Glee*

Interestingly, the price tag on the back reads $8.95.

Same with my copy. It's funny, nearly every Aussie I know who was a fan and used to buy them has a copy of Buccaneers. When I first found out how much a single copy was goinf for on ebay I nealry spit my drink all over my monitor!

Shadow said:

Most likely if someone were to republish the entire Lone Wolf Series, I would buy them all, even though i already own upto book #23.

I would totally do the same.

You don't know how jealous I am of the British and Australian Lone Wolf fans.

Us American Lone Wolf fans have nothing....NOTHING. *sobs* :cry:

Shadow said:

I'd do the same, even though I've got the lot. :D

Actually, most of my collection (LW 1-20, GS 1-4, and two copies of the Magnamund Companion) is beginning to fall apart from all the years of reading. Hell, only reason I own two MC books is that I got scared to read my copy, and a friend gave me his knowing I was a big fan.

I'd re-buy the whole collection starting with LW book 1 if I could.

got all lw and gs books, the magnamund companion too und the skull of a. dito

found them on the internet

the most exp. was lw 22 the b. of shadaki, paid 68 USD for it

for me it was worth the price, since lw 21 and 22 are directly connectet and i hate to hold on in the middle of the story

got the skull of a. recently for 31 USD

Glitch Please said:
I would totally do the same.

You don't know how jealous I am of the British and Australian Lone Wolf fans.

Us American Lone Wolf fans have nothing....NOTHING. *sobs* :cry:

Um...I did happen to have some of the Grandmaster (21+) books years ago and sold them on Amazon for list price ('cuz I just couldn't get into them). Somebody bought them up immediately, and last I checked, wants over $150 for each of them. :shock: I don't believe they've ever sold them, either.

I have replaced most of my earlier series (1-12) with practically new copies I've found at Half Price books...for half list price tho'.

Given this, I'm holding on to all my 13-20 books. And my Magnamund Companion. And my 4 Grey Star Books... :roll:

Ha, I have had a British copy of The Magnamund Companion since i was around 6 years old, could have been before that, I am now 20 and still have it, I only learned today of how rare it is. Its not in the best condition, but all the pages are there, I'm not going to sell it because its just too amusing.

Never got that book - I did manage to get the graphic novel, which is pretty good, and the Buccaneers of Shadaki which was a birthday present. Actually the Companion is the last release of Classic Wolf (unless there is anything else out there?)

Bit of a collector here. Have mint copies of all LW and GS books but to complete my collection I did pay about £150 for "Buccaneers of Shadaki". I had to - the gap in my collection was killing me! :oops:

Good luck finding them. Supply and demand becomes disproportionately skewed for collectors. Eventually, you will have to fork over the cash to have your book(s). Let me tell you, once you have all 28 Red Fox books in a row on a bookshelf, all in NM to M condition, it is such a feeling of pride and accomplishment.

I wish I had not sold mine. As it is, I only have books 21 and 22, and book 1 (the Wandering Book, from Tower of the Sun) now. Maybe one day I will have them all again.

Back