The Mongols and the Hyrkanian Sweep to the West

LokiOne

Mongoose
I just watched a facinating dramatized program on "Ghengis Khan". It inspired Me to return to the subject of the Hyrkanians and their great sweep westwards through the central Hyborian nations ...

According to 'Conan History', did this event occur in the 'past' or the 'future' in the RPG as it stands?

I was thinking of recreating this in My Conan RPG, with the young Yezdigerd as a sort of "Ghengis Khan" in the region. Maybe a wonderful, if dangerous opportunity towards the climax of a multi-part adventure - for a brave sorceror PC/ NPC to casta horrible spell upon the Great Khan to halt the conquests. The thief PCs/Party might have to obtain and sneak out a sample of the Great Khans body product/s (EG: lock of hair), to facilitate the Death Curse (As the real Gengis Khan died suddenly on the march).

Has this been done already by Someone ???

Bear with Me, as I have only just started thinking about the Cona RPG again, after an absence from this forum ...

I DID like the story of Gengis BOILING alive some captured enemy generals ... Shades of the Shogun mini-series (fiendish indeed!)....
...Ouch...

LokiOne said:
According to 'Conan History', did this event occur in the 'past' or the 'future' in the RPG as it stands?

Both. The Hyrkanians swept out of the east and drove back Zamora and founded Turan. Turan, early in Conan's life, was just a sliver on the west of the Vilayet, but by Conan's kingship, Turan had extended its borders to Zamora, Corinthia, Koth and had taken over much of eastern Shem.

The rest of their conquering happens in the future of the RPG. Zamora falls first, then Brythunia, then southern Hyperborea and Corinthia. The Hyrkanians sweep into Cimmeria and drive the Cimmerians before them, but the Cimmerians eventually rally and force Hyrkania/Turan into a retreat.

Shem conquers Koth, Hyrkania conquers Shem and the Picts conquer Aquilonia. The Zingaran, fleeing Pictish fury, are relocated to Zamora by the Hyrkanians as a subject people. Argos falls to the Picts, and the Picts and Hyrkanians clash in Ophir.

Then the Nordheimr ally with Nemedia and we have a three-way war in Nemedia between the Nordheimr, Pictish nation and the Hyrkanian war machine and on it goes...

Great Vincent! Thanks for that summary, as it makes my head spin keeping track of it all !!! I assume that The Picts nature makes them too fractured and volatile to hold an Empire together for too long (?)

Gengis Khan, and his sons, certainly held a large chunk of the World for quite a while though. The brutality metted out to those who would not surrender was certainly apparent. Mountains of bones, and the streets of (burnt) ruined cities "slippery with human fat" ...

Plenty of room for some martial exercise for the PC's then (If They survive ...)

I'm still looking for a good miniatures line to represent Turanians or Hrykanian warriors. Mongol cavalry (historicals) obviously ...

Does Anyone know of any others available at the moment ???

Please bear in mind, I've been of the Forum for a short while.

Great Vincent! Thanks for that summary, as it makes my head spin keeping track of it all !!! I assume that The Picts nature makes them too fractured and volatile to hold an Empire together for too long (?)

Gengis Khan, and his sons, certainly held a large chunk of the World for quite a while though. The brutality metted out to those who would not surrender was certainly apparent. Mountains of bones, and the streets of (burnt) ruined cities "slippery with human fat" ...

Plenty of room for some martial exercise for the PC's then (If They survive ...)

I'm still looking for a good miniatures line to represent Turanians or Hrykanian warriors. Mongol cavalry (historicals) obviously ...

Does Anyone know of any others available at the moment ???

Please bear in mind, I've been of the Forum for a short while.

Check out the new Genghis Kahn by Jack Weatherford. And if you are also a wargamer (like I am), Strategy & Tactics issue #229 recently came out with Khan, a game of the Mongol expansion.

As things relate to Conan, Weatherford's book notes that the Mongol bows performed poorly in humid climates. Could consider a rule making Hyrkanian bows -1 when in humid climates.

Back