the Little bird

You do realize that the Comanche was cancelled in 2004 and that the Cobra in BfE is the Ah-1Z, the latest version of the Super Cobra?

The Comanche program was cancelled in 2004. The US Army will now be using updated Kiowas for recon and Apaches for attack.

It's unlikely the Marines would have gone for the Comanche as a helicopter choice due to its relative complexity, single engine and high cost. The marine doctrine, in contrast, is for simple, relaible equipment that provides the best bang for your buck. It did look super-cool, though, and you know the old fighter pilot adage, if it looks pretty, it'll probably fly well.

In the meantime, the Marines continue to use the AH1 over the Apache as it's simpler to maintain and is smaller, taking up less space on board ships.

The Lynx, and presumably the Future Lynx, is the fastes helicopter in the world, holding the record at 400kts (and it can fly backwards as fast as the Apache flys forwards) and is the only helicopter in the world that can perform true loops and rolls - although there are several that can do "backflips".

G.

No, Jeb Busch was elected president in a land slide victory in "08" and brought the Comanche back...its been in service for years now, just not battle tested...till now. :D

You people really have to study your future history books! :lol:

Dorb said:
No, Jeb Busch was elected president in a land slide victory in "08" and brought the Comanche back...its been in service for years now, just not battle tested...till now. :D

You people really have to study your future history books! :lol:

Hey Dorb, with that spelling of 'Bush', is this guy one of the owners of the beer company? Oh well, either way, it works, lol. :lol:

Actaully the Chinese Use a helo called teh Z-9)that looks quite a lot like a French AS365N Dauphin II" as they primary attach helo right now. htey also bought around 2 dozen S-70C Blackhawks before the T-square embargo. about 20 of them are reportedly still in service.

also, their prototype purpose-built indiginous attack chopper called teh WZ-10 looks strikingly like the Eurocopter Tiger.

Alot of Middle eastern and Asian countries use the Aerospatiale (and now Eurocopter) SA 342L Gazelle attack Helocopter. I'm pretty sure Iraq even had some. Another Helo that gets alot of use from middle easter countires(especially the extremist ones like syria and Iraq) was/is the russian MI-8 Hip. it has bothtransport and attack varients.

basically, if the french made it, it's probably owned by 80% of hte 3rd world and developing nations.

http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/helicopter/wz9.asp

It's indiginously manufactured, so i doubt it's from anything the RAF had stationed in hongkong. it was being developed in the mid to late 80s.

Chinese defense today is a great website for chinese military equipment.

Aegis said:
All I could find was the pack with a dark green little bird(not the US one), and a blue camo hummer with a TOW. Not too keen on the hummer, but hey.

Yeah, that's all I was able to find until today. I'm not sure of the nationality of the Little Bird that comes with the bright blue Hummer, but that's the only paint scheme I had been able to find at the local Walmarts. Today I finally found one set with the US Army OD green Little Bird and green camouflage Hummer. I grabbed it, along with some 1/144 WWII aircraft. Those little mini planes are nicely painted and they don't take up much space. Also, I can use them with my 15mm WWII games. :)

Heading out again this weekend to pillage the area Walmarts. I actually seen a set of these sell on ebay for $20.00 + frt!
I know about the Blue ones your finding. Must be harder to see at night. See below:

hum2.jpg

Could always take them apart and paint them for the desert. Someone did that in a earlier post.

Scotty59 said:
I grabbed it, along with some 1/144 WWII aircraft. Those little mini planes are nicely painted and they don't take up much space. Also, I can use them with my 15mm WWII games. :)

Let me guess. They are the "Dogfight" series with a P-51, Fw-190, Hellcat and Ki-84 Hayate, right? :wink:

BuShips said:
Scotty59 said:
I grabbed it, along with some 1/144 WWII aircraft. Those little mini planes are nicely painted and they don't take up much space. Also, I can use them with my 15mm WWII games. :)

Let me guess. They are the "Dogfight" series with a P-51, Fw-190, Hellcat and Ki-84 Hayate, right? :wink:

That's exactly right! And have you noticed that they come in various paint schemes. My buddiy has a Hellcat in a completely different color scheme than mine, and I saw two different Ki-84 paint schemes. Oh yeah, don't forget the ME-262!

I will probably cut the landing gear off and base them on a wire stand a few inches above the table to model them in flight.

Scotty59 said:
BuShips said:
Scotty59 said:

That's exactly right! And have you noticed that they come in various paint schemes. My buddiy has a Hellcat in a completely different color scheme than mine, and I saw two different Ki-84 paint schemes. Oh yeah, don't forget the ME-262!

I will probably cut the landing gear off and base them on a wire stand a few inches above the table to model them in flight.

I'm a bit ahead of you. :wink: I picked up the "twin-pack" of the Hellcat and Hayate, and then bought the individual packs. That way you get different aircraft. I have one Ki-84 in silver and the other in a green camo over silver. Then the Hellcats are varied in the identification numbers (#2 & #7) with #2 having a two-tone blue with white underside and the #7 ident in overall navy blue. It's too bad that there are not more of the aircraft. Oh, and you are right about the Swallow (Me-262) as it either comes as a single or with I believe a Mustang packed when sold as a pair. That pair is unequal of course with the edge to the Me-262 (unless it's in a landing pattern because that is how Yeager got one iirc) :wink:. I have already modified the gear by breaking them off and gluing flush at if raised. It has taken me literally years to think up a method of posing aircraft without using wood doweling and clothespins, and I think I'm getting very close to something that I may eventually sell. If I wasn't in so much debt I'd give up the idea, but it's a capitalistic country and I will probably even see about a patent on the contraption. It has the appearance of a telescopic antenna (but isn't one). That isn't the innovative part however as it was the easier thing to figure out. The tricky part was coming up with a multi-flexible double "elbow" that stays in position and allows full pitch/yaw/roll positioning. Last year I wrote up a method to use pre-school LEGO bricks for altitude for a 3D space game but this discards that for a much more elegant system. Also, you might take a look at Rattlehead Games online as they are selling a new system from Ninja Magic that uses pewter cast magnetic pieces. Mine makes some use of Neodymium magnets as well, but is "infinitely" flexible any degree within reason, while theirs is so far limited to 45 and 90 degree angles. I dropped them a suggestion to make up some 30 and 60 degree versions for the same space game (Attack Vector: Tactical) I was working this up for. Knowing it would work for WW2 and other aerial combat games was another goal as well.

Could always take them apart and paint them for the desert. Someone did that in a earlier post.

You rang? :D

It just so happens I finished them up a couple of days ago when I got some gunners and fifty-cals in:

hmmwv_fin01.jpg

hmmwv_fin02.jpg

hmmwv_fin03.jpg

hmmwv_fin04.jpg

In case you're wondering - the infantry figures are from TAG with Eureka SWAT heads and greenstuffed details (kneepads, goggles). The gunners were ordered separately from Force of Arms and then also fitted with Eureka heads. The gunners as well as the ma deuces are kept in place with magnets, so I can take them out and close the hatch to have an unarmed turtleback, and/or switch the weapon around later on (I still have those TOWs lying around).

Great attention to detail Haelstrom. The numbers/symbols on the side/back look great. Love the tattered touch on the rebel flag.

Back