The great attack

A

Anonymous

Is there any detailed information or reports about the great attack to Sommerlund in MS5050?. I mean, everybody disguised as Sommerlund soldier was a Giak, there were Helghasts everywhere, no defence forces at all (except Prince Pelathar), I remember something like France invasions in WWI and WWII… Is there any information about Sommerlund defenders and fortifications?

O_O giaks disguised as sommlendings?? doncha mean drakkarim disguised? it was just a massive sweep from what i understand, toran was the second target tho

From what I can remember most of the defenses where centred around the cities and the rural areas were left to burn.

There were some Drakkarim masquerading as Sommlending soldiers and civilians.

Zargarna was leading the main force against Holmgard whilst Vonotar was handling the job at Toran.

There was no mention of Helghasts, but nothing that would suggest they weren't there either. There were definately Vordaks kicking about.

Also, the Second Black Muster was a complete surprise attack. No one in Sommerlund was expecting it, that's why Sommerlund's defenses were so disorganized throughout it.

Most of Sommerlunds forces are raised from the people of the land. If you hit fast enough there wont be time to raise these forces so Sommerlund was probaly trying to defend it's self on a fraction of it's army. By sowing terror with Kraan attacks, securing rode junctions and bridges it would be that much more difficult for the militia to form up. Who would want to leave their family when Giak warbands are roving! Finaly disgused Drakkar would pick off a lot of those who did attempt to join up with other Sommerlending forces and those who escaped such ambushes would just spread more confusion.

I wonder if there where changes to the structure of the Sommelending army after MS5050?

In other words... the second black muster was hardcore!
It almost makes me shudder to think of one young acolyte running the gauntlet through all that... oh well, better him than me... He had an axe!

I don't know about anyone else who runs a game, but to me, depending on your players and how evil you want to be, this would be a great ending to a chronicle based around your PCs, especially those who don't know the Lone Wolf story. It would definately be a surprise. If it would completely tick off the people you're playing with though, probably wouldn't be a good idea.

yes but 50 years is a LONG time, although I will use the eclipse as an ending to my current campaign "and many years in the future...." the players know this and one has even says he wants to make his last stand with all the younger sommerlund knights if he lives to see it

As I'm following the storyline of the books, I've explained the unexpected strike of the Darlords armies by developping the role of Vonotar and magnifying the evil magic powers of Zagarna.

In practice, I've done that, this way:

Zagarna and his best Nadziranim Sorcerers developped an incredibly powerfull spell who allow the armies of Darkness to become "invisible" as soon as they remains in the Darkalnds. That will allow the Darklords to gather a huge force near the Durncrag Montains without being spied by Sommlending Rangers.

The problem is: with such a powerfull spell, the magical "environnement" of the Sommerlund border will be disturbed. As the Brotherhood of the CS is such a powerfull magical society, the only way to avoid them noticing something is to have a high ranked traitor inside the guild.

This was the role of Vonotar. I've made it the third more powerfull BotCS of the guild. He was in charge of the "security department" of the guild and so managed to filter all "interesting" information. Eventually, the Great Master of the guild was made suspicious (one way or another). Vonotar had no choice but to kill him and flee with the information.

In my vision of Magnamund, Vonotar was discovered before all Darklands armies were gathered on the Sommerlund border. In this case Zagarna had to move more quickly than he has expected.
He decided to strike instantly the 2 most prominent power of Sommerlund: the Kai Monastery and the guild in Toran.

But this swift move without all the armies ready allow Holmgard to defend itself and allow Lone Wolf (or my players in this case) 40 days for his quest of the Sommerswerd. You know the rest... :wink:

well that is a good idea there sabbak, but accoridng to all the interesting little facts in the legends of lonewolf:
the second black muster wasn't hidden and in fact silent wolf and his mentor storm hawk discovered a large group of giaks on a scouting mission, however silent wolf forgot this after watching a powerful BotCS kill Storm Hawk (yes, it was Vonotar on his way to join the darkside)

Zagarna was a bit rushed, but only because Vonotar told him about the Kai Lords gathering for the feast of fehmarn

Vonotar was important, but he didnt kill the guildmaster, it was one of the council who discovered that he was about to go to the darklands, vonotar had been arguing to the council that they needed to study nadziranim sorcery for some time
and thats all i can remember for now, just remember legends are an acceptable argument because:
a) they're written by joe dever
b) they're full of much more information than the game books
c) August refers to the in the LW Core book
d) anyone who talks about Mary Sues is obviously thinking of the new kai order series :wink: "hey look at me guys, I'm the only one who can possibly save lonewolf, and fight an army of drakkarim at the same time"

They were based on Dever's gamebooks, and Mary Sue's and errant super-beings aside, any book that has Lone Wolf running from 2 mountain giaks in one section only to obliterate dozens upon dozens of darkspawn a few pages later can't be taken seriously. The way Eclipse reads, you'd think it was Alyss' whim and not Kai's will that Lone Wolf survived.

Just thinking about them makes me twitchy.

KL, twitchin'

Lone Wolf was tired when you used the old "look behind you its a kraan" trick, at other times his bloodlust normally kicked in, helping him fight yet it was described as feeling unpleasant (a manifestation of his weaponskill?)
it would have been kai's whim, but Ishir's peace held him back, Alyss has never been one for rules

Hi there,

First of all, I have to make it clear that all my previous ideas are just... mine!
I mean, this is not intended to be canon, this is just the way I want to make things logical with my vision of Magnamund. As August (and many more) said: you can do wathever you want with your game! :wink:

My purpose is to put some ideas on the table: make whtaever you want with them!

Wannabe Drakkar said:
well that is a good idea there sabbak, but accoridng to all the interesting little facts in the legends of lonewolf:

I haven't read the "legend" books and, according to all the awfull comments I've read about this serie, I don't intend to (and, of course, I don't think they are translated into french... as you can guess with my poor english level, this is a real problem!!! :wink: )

Wannabe Drakkar said:
the second black muster wasn't hidden and in fact silent wolf and his mentor storm hawk discovered a large group of giaks on a scouting mission, however silent wolf forgot this after watching a powerful BotCS kill Storm Hawk (yes, it was Vonotar on his way to join the darkside)

"Forgot this"?
Seem not very serious to me...

For me the Second Black Muster was not just a pair of scouting Giaks but the gathering of a huge army of (at least) 50'000 giaks+drakkarims+gourgaz+...

I repeat this is perhaps not canon but this is my point of view. :wink:

Wannabe Drakkar said:
Zagarna was a bit rushed, but only because Vonotar told him about the Kai Lords gathering for the feast of fehmarn

For me the Fehmarn feast is not something secret.
I prefer the idea of a big feast that takes place every 10-20 years (and has a duration of many days). In this way, Zagarna's plans were clear from the beginning. And I don't see how it can be different... Killing the whole Monastery NEED a huge preparation from the Darklords!

Wannabe Drakkar said:
Vonotar was important, but he didnt kill the guildmaster,

In my Magnamund: yes, he did! :p

Wannabe Drakkar said:
just remember legends are an acceptable argument because:

In RpG I have only one rule: take what you want and make it yours.
I really like Joe Dever's stories (obviously!!!), but it is not my intention to take everything he writes as writen in stone...

Wannabe Drakkar said:
b) they're full of much more information than the game books

Really? I should perhaps have a look at those odd books...

Wannabe Drakkar said:
c) August refers to the in the LW Core book

Same comment as for a)... :p

Wannabe Drakkar said:
d) anyone who talks about Mary Sues

??? I'm so sorry but I don't know this gentle woman? :eek:

All right guys, this is just to make my point of view clear! :)

Sabbak said:
First of all, I have to make it clear that all my previous ideas are just... mine!
I mean, this is not intended to be canon, this is just the way I want to make things logical with my vision of Magnamund. As August (and many more) said: you can do wathever you want with your game! :wink:

Don't worry too much about it...quite a number of people I know don't consider the Legends series canon, anyway.

FP, producer of forum posts and fine chocolate since 2004.

FallingPhoenix said:
Don't worry too much about it...quite a number of people I know don't consider the Legends series canon, anyway.

I sure don't. Waste of paper that they are. Other than the Lorestone of Varetta - that's pretty good.

And for the record, the Legends were written by John Grant, not Joe Dever.

-GB

Ghost Bear said:
And for the record, the Legends were written by John Grant, not Joe Dever.

-GB

written by joe dever AND john grant, come on dude, as if joe would be stupid enough to let someone run amock with his masterpiece, he isnt george lucas!

Wannabe Drakkar said:
written by joe dever AND john grant, come dude, as if joe would be stupid enough to let someone run amock with his masterpiece, he isnt george lucas!

I'm afraid that's exactly what he did...

He did have some editing control in the early books, but later on, he just let John Grant get on with it. Which is a pity.

-GB

Sabbak said:
This was the role of Vonotar. I've made it the third more powerfull BotCS of the guild. He was in charge of the "security department" of the guild and so managed to filter all "interesting" information. Eventually, the Great Master of the guild was made suspicious (one way or another). Vonotar had no choice but to kill him and flee with the information.

As a side note, it would make an interesting story to follow to introduce Vonatar (obviously the game would have to be set a little closer to the Kai Masacre) and start him off as a sympathetic character, an idealistic young wizard, who is gradually corrupted. Maybe starting off providing some inconsequential information for a bit of money, and slowly compromising more and more until he finds himself a tool of evil.

I don't think I've ever thought of him as anything but plain evil. I think a story like this could have potential.

Back