The Computer's voice

What's your version of the Computer sounds like?

• Melodious mommy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'At the tone, the time will be...'

• Flat monotone

• Other (describe)

• Total voters
Hello fellow ultra-violet citizens!

I just bought Paranoia XP and am planning on starting a game eventually. Something I can't decide on is the voice of our beloved Computer...

The book gives a few options; I am wondering how you are impersonating It yourself?

And what personality do you give It? Do you shift personalities as suggested?

Thank you.

I think I prefer the cool intellectual approach of the HAL 9000 voice. A touch of care and attention, with the potential for innocent malice.

I like what they did with the computer voice in the Logan's Run movie. If you’ve not seen this film, please do so at once! I grew up watching and loving this film and I think it’s highly relevant to Paranoia. The manual also mentions it as a resource on pg. 243.

I think the kind of personality you choose for the computer will have a lot to do with the kind of voice you want to relay to your players as belonging to the computer (I prefer not acting stuff out as I find it distracts and draws people out of game immersion, but that’s my particular GM style). I think the Logan’s Run computer voice falls more under the personality category of the “Voice of the System” Pg. 57.

As for “shifting personalities” for the computer, I think that would cool for one Alpha Complex computer, but would not want to have all Alpha Complexes run that way (if your doing multiple Alpha Complexes as the manual mentions). I think it would be interesting for each computer in each Alpha Complex to have a unique personality that reflects its history.

Play style can also affect how you make these decisions. Classic, Straight (a.k.a. Dark), or Zap. My thoughts for what I’m working on are somewhere between Classic and Dark.

I always kind of envisioned it as speaking a lot like HAL from 2001, kinda soft, innocent and pleasantly inquisitive in the way it goes about it's blatantly not nice actions.. Afterall it isnt acting emotionally it is simply acting as its programming (albeit damaged programming) requires it, it genuinely believes it is fulfilling its role to the best of its capabilities.

Douglas Rain as HAL in 2001 and 2010 has the definitive Paranoia 'Friend Computer' voice. Cultured and eloquent, but with a touch of childlike innocence that makes you wonder if there's not a tantrum waiting just around the corner.

The paranoia evident in the scene in 2001 where Poole and Bowman retreat into the Pod to avoid being heard is a perfect indictator of potential player responses to this characterisation of FC.

My personal preference is to sound like tweety from buck rogers. lol a sort of calm but knowledgeable(authoritive) voice.
Maybe you could even sound like KITT from knight rider???????
Anyone else got any ideas???

lastbesthope said:
The 'alternate' personality of the B5 computer?
LBH

You may not be aware but that voice was actually Harlan Ellison, prolific Scriptwriter and Sci-Fi Author who worked as a consultant on the show.

He did some commentaries on the 1985 Twilight Zone DVD Box Set and he did virtually notyhing to 'change' his voice for the B5 cameo. It really gave me a laugh.

Weet-R-BIX said:
You may not be aware but that voice was actually Harlan Ellison, prolific Scriptwriter and Sci-Fi Author who worked as a consultant on the show.

I was unaware, thank you, I know who Harlan Ellison is, but not that he did that voice.

That is quite cool :lol:

LBH

My pleasure. I have a head full of useless (?) trivia like that. I just wish I could make it pay for itself... :lol:

Same here. How about Eddie (Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy) in his alternate personality? For those of you who haven't heard the radio series this was a comical primary school headmistress!

darth_azabrush said:
Same here. How about Eddie (Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy) in his alternate personality? For those of you who haven't heard the radio series this was a comical primary school headmistress!

It's pretty much the same in the TV show as well.

Can't remember the movie version though . . . .

LBH

Don't remember the alternate apearing in the TV show. Never mind. My prefference is based on style

Zap: Eddie

Classic: Eddie alternate

Straight: Alpha 60 (Alphaville)

darth_azabrush said:
Don't remember the alternate apearing in the TV show. Never mind. My prefference is based on style

Oh it's in there, remember, it won't let them out of the ship on Magrathea until Zaphod threatens to reprogram it with an axe :twisted:

LBH

I always ran Paranoia with the 'Hal 9000' style voice, which I guess would be the 'flat and monotone' option. I like the clinical and creepy feel. especially when it's just as calm discussing trivial issues as it is ordering executions.

Every OTHER announcement in Alpha is loud and annoying, though.

I prefer it when the computer is demonically happy all the time. Especially in Classic or Straight. However the creepiness of Alpha 60 (which I guess is distorted monotone) is perfect for straight!

Back