The boxed sets - dead or alive?

Padre

Mongoose
A little question to Mongoose: what's with the boxed sets? Are we going to see a new one or is the whole box project dead forever? Of course some changes would be needed, but does Mongoose consider it too risky to do at all or are you just waiting for a right moment?

I believe they don't sell as well as books and I hope the Conan and the Shadow of the Sorcerer project wasn't cancelled due to this possibility.
It is a fact that boxed sets are more expensive and must therefore provide an excellent content.

got a feeling but no back up that the box set idea has gone but hopefully detailed citys have not if part of a adventure great or as a hardback even greater but please dont stop the cities adventures :D

I'm not too crazy about the box sets. Shadizar is ok but could have been a hardback at $34.50 instead of a whole lot of air for $15 more. It's one of the reasons I haven't picked up Messantia yet; better things to buy for $50.

I'm not a lover of boxed sets myself. I've got a bookcase full of RPGs and I only own two boxed sets (Moria, and something for Spacemaster that I can't remember the name of).

geordiekimbo said:
I'm not a lover of boxed sets myself. I've got a bookcase full of RPGs and I only own two boxed sets (Moria, and something for Spacemaster that I can't remember the name of).

Interesting. I love the boxed sets. Maps!!! Counters!!! Handouts!!! Keep them coming please.

HLD

Maps and handouts don't have to come in a box though. I've seen a couple of games where that sort of thing are available seperately or come in the back cover of your game or adventure.

Hi guys,

No, the box sets have not been shelved - we just have not got any ongoing projects that require them just yet!

and what about boxed sets instead of regional sourcebooks? There one could include maps and goodies with the main book and even some adventure or a city-book (e.g. the capital city).

geordiekimbo said:
Maps and handouts don't have to come in a box though. I've seen a couple of games where that sort of thing are available seperately or come in the back cover of your game or adventure.

Sometimes those books with maps don't hold up too well once the map has been torn out. That's if your lucky enough not to tear the map in the process. If you purchase the maps seperately from the book, you are going to be approaching the cost of the boxed set anyways. Nope, maps need protection before they get played.

Keep in mind that they do not need to be $50 either. Although there are some increases in the cost, they are not $15 more. There is this little thing called profit that is vital to the survival of this game.

LONG LIVE MONGOOSE!

HLD

I think these cartonboard boxes are actually quite expensive to produce. You can already notice this difference between hard- and softbound books.

The King said:
I think these cartonboard boxes are actually quite expensive to produce. You can already notice this difference between hard- and softbound books.

Don't confuse price versus profit. I am in the printing business. You may be surprised to see what each box costs due to buying in volume. The same goes with the covers of the hard bound books versus just the coated card stock covers on the . I could tell you exactly how much they cost if I knew the total produced.

Anyways, there is your true costs and the "what the market will bear" strategy at work. Most likely, less people will spend $50 versus $9.99. So there needs to be more profit per unit to equal the same margin numbers.

In looking closely at the color work, it appears to be done on a full color digital printer (i.e. Xerox) which can be expensive. A single 11x17 sheet could cost as much as $.50 per page. The advantage is no inventory and print on demand.

Other unknowns are distribution costs and retail shelf space concerns.

Good thing we only need to worry about playing the game. Buy the box sets and give these guys a break. It seems like a tough way to make a buck.

BTW, I think City of Wickedness is the best publication to date regarding adventure themes and hope that the box set approach continues.

Personally, I love the idea of boxed sets. However, if Mongoose continues with them, I would like to see the quality increase. Shadizar had a good city source book, but all of the maps left quite a bit to be desired. The adventure was built on a strong premise, but also suffered from inconsitencies, lack of detail, and overall poor execution.

I have Messantia, but have yet to give it a detailed read. I'm already pleased with the fact that there are keyed locations on the map with detailed descriptions in the sourcebook. I consider that to be a necessity. Hopefully things will only continue to get better.

I really love City of Wikedness, I'd really like to have a box set like that with other motives.

The book of Aquilonia would be awesome with goodies like the ones included in Shadizar. Don't get me wrong, the book is perfect, but maps, cards and all that stuff would be awesome!

High Lord Dee said:
In looking closely at the color work, it appears to be done on a full color digital printer (i.e. Xerox) which can be expensive. A single 11x17 sheet could cost as much as $.50 per page. The advantage is no inventory and print on demand.

BTW, I think City of Wickedness is the best publication to date regarding adventure themes and hope that the box set approach continues.
Thanks for your insight in this matter. I really thought these process were more expensive.
I believe Mongoose have its production done in China, so I guess costs are much lower than if produced in Europe or the USA. Who can compete with China at the moment. :wink:

In fact I remember that EarthDawn RPG had 3 boxed sets which were not so thick but were full of content. I think they were sold at US$25.00 but this was almost 10 years ago.

Sometimes those books with maps don't hold up too well once the map has been torn out. That's if your lucky enough not to tear the map in the process. If you purchase the maps seperately from the book, you are going to be approaching the cost of the boxed set anyways. Nope, maps need protection before they get played.
I've seen lots of RPG supplements, scenarios where the maps were held in a sleeve on the inside of the cover.

I am honestly not into boxed sets, and only reluctantly purchased two over the last 5 years. In both cases, I would have preferred a nice hardback.

In general, that is the way to go for me.

Sorry, it is just how I feel.

Razuur

Arcadayn said:
I have Messantia, but have yet to give it a detailed read. I'm already pleased with the fact that there are keyed locations on the map with detailed descriptions in the sourcebook.
You should read it, I liked it a lot more than I did Shadizar. Unfortunately, though, the numbers on the map don't match up correctly with the numbers in the book (there are 250 locations on the map, only 245 in the book). Its pretty easy to figure out whats what, though. For example, the Arena (#137 in the book) is clearly #139 on the map, and the Dome of the Sea (#207 in the book) is #212 on the map.

Apart from that; a great supplement. :)

Back