The avalanche has already started......

That looks fine at one coat to me, though remember to try to leave the darker colours in the recesses. By the time you have a couple of progressively lighter coats on there they'll be looking grand.

Yeah, they look OK, and it'll all go in nicely once I layer it a bit more, I might do a 3rd coat of white on top of the light grey (Fortress) but I'll see how it looks, and the black and grey all showing in the recesses should look decent.

So I've stopped for food as I am hungry and will likely make mistakes if I don't eat.

The next question is, do I carry on with the small ships in light frey. or do the dark grey for the big ships next?

I think I'll see the small ships through first, refine my technique before I go on to the bigger ones where mistakes will show more :)

Thanks for all the support and advice guys, keep it coming, I'm really enjoying this painting stuff, should have tried it years ago. but the NA ships are way easier to build than the old B% ACTA ones.

LBH

The only reason I know how long this is taking me is by the post times

Now available in Lighter Grey

09042011087.jpg

Am mulling on whether or not to do one more coat of white before detailing. Opinions?

The Galliots don't seem as keen to take the paint as the other ships, have no idea why, they were all spray coated at the same time, in the same conditions.

LBH

It could be that the Galliots have all got large unobstructed areas that might be a problem for one spray going over the top of another - should be ok when it dries.

Well I'm going to do the white coat and then detailing in blue and various silvery metal colours for engines and such. We'll see how it goes.

Can't decide between Regal Blue, UltraMarine Blue or Enchanted Blue, will see how they look when the white is on.

LBH

Well the white is not going on so smoothly as I'd hoped, I've done one coat on a Malcolm, the 2 Darius and the 4 Hornets. I'll see hoe it dries, maybe try a second coat before going any further.

Is it just me or is Skull White thinner than other GW paints?

LBH

Well here is most of the fleet (bar a carrier and the fighters) after a couple of quick coats of white. They look like a streaky Star Destroyer, but I'm sure the contrast of some blue will help with that, besides, space is dirty.

09042011089.jpg

Left the 2nd carrier and the fighters to be whited tomorrow. And still have 2 Griffins and a Vladimir that are still sitting with base coat black to work on, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow

Evening all,

So the current state of play is one Malcolm, 2 Galliots, 4 Frigates, 2 Explorers are coated to white ready for blue and metal detailing.

One Malcolm and fighters are coated to light grey waiting for whiting and detailing

2 Cruisers and a the Destroyer are still at base coat black waiting to be caught up once I've detailed the rest.

Not sure where to 'blue' the ships, or which blue to use, torn between GW Royal Blue and GW ultramarine Blue.

Only going to do simple segments nothing too fancy, and I probably won't know if I like it un til it's done, ah well, but we shall see, trying to use some of the existing uhll lines to delineate the colours, though I have a notion for the Malcolms, blue stripes on the underside, and a blue dorsal line leaving most of the sides grey/white.

Any opinions?

MEwanwhile my paints are rebelling, the Skull White pot uncapped itself sometime between Sat evening and this evening. Fortunately doesn't seem to have dried out too much as that would have slowed things down considerably running out of white paint.

Mmight do some blueing tonight, see how I feel after a short rest. Work was a long day today, and tomorrow is looking worse.

Happy painting

LBH

Tonight's work.

'Whited' the fighters and the 2nd Malcolm.

2 coats on the fighters, 3 on this Malcolm (Was 2 on the first one), see below:

11042011091.jpg

11042011092.jpg

You might be able to see that despite applying more coats to the lower of those 2 Malcolms (the 2nd one I did) more detail is visible and I reckon it'll dry to about the same colour. I think I'm getting an improvemnent in my drybrushing technique, the first one was more like moistbrushing.

This is why I'm leaving the bigger ships till last so I can practice on the little ones.

LBH

Regal blue is a darker one, use the Ultramrine to highlight. It works very well with white (not as good as Midnight blue was though)

Example - The photo is not brilliant though as it is over lit. It's also from a different game....
DSCF5902.jpg

As far as the blue is concerned - Regal blue is quite dark and would definately need good highlighting, Enchanted is quite light and goes over Regal nicely as a highlight. Ultramarines blue sits roughly in the middle between the 2.

As far as where to blue - that's a little more tricky - there are about 3 or 4 references for the Hawkwood fleet out on the web, and each one differs from the other. I've gone for 2 narrow parallel stripes down the centre of the model, various panels here and there, and 2 diagonal stripes coming away from the centre (sort of a common fleet theme). Sounds tricky, but it's not too difficult to paint once you've got a clear idea of what you want to do.

Thinking I'll go with UltraMarine to start and possibly highlght with Enchantged.

As for where to blue, I'm not too worried about matching anything else, just trying to envisage something that will look guide, following the lines of the hull if not too hard, and mayhap taking account of panel lines where appropriate.

Thinking of having the night off painting tonight after the white drybrushing yesterday.

When I get round to coating the Vlad and the malcolm, I'm not sure whether to leave the trench and 'equator' lines of detail black, or do them to dark grey amd then drybrush with Boltgun. Or something else. Want to give the bigger models more depth than the little ones.

Suggestions/advice?

Thanks

LBH

I have got all bar my 2 Griffins and my Vlad now residing in white and blue.

Not sure whether to post pics or not, don't want to reduce thw shock factor when I show up at the tourney. Plus, you know, they don't look all that neat as I'd want them too, even for a first go.

Still got to do some boltgun and detailing on them though, and then start in on the big boys.

Glad I left work early to getsome painting done, well worth it, when I sat down I had no idea where the blue was going other than on the wings of the Hornets.

I ended up doing the carriers differentlyto each other, and in all honesty I prefer the second attempt, but at least I'll be able to tell them apart on the table now.

Photos to follow tomorrow maybe, I am tired and have not eaten since lunchtime, it's now 10pm, hungry and there's an ep of NCIS waiting for me on the recording device :)

LBH

Also, not sure what I think of those Taklon brushes, they seem to soak up the paint and it's hard torinse out, even with hot water.

LBH

I'm using a mix of Army Painter and Rotmarder-Kolinsky brushes.

I have to say I much prefer the later and should probably get some more in different sizes. I'm a sod for using the smallest brush I can find, even if paining one small areas takes me all night...

A little more progress...

Started in on the big ships...

BAse coat of black they've had for a while
14042011097.jpg

One side in dark grey...

14042011098.jpg

The other side in dark grey....

14042011099.jpg

I think you'll agree my drybrushing technique has improved and on the bigger models it's easier to do the details, which have been left black for boltgunning later..

On Monday night I also started doing the blue on the little ships, but I'm afraid to post those unless it starts the apocalypse, unless you lot start clamouring for proof that is.. :lol:

I'll let that dry and then do the light grey tomorrow or Saturday, then a coat or two of white and then blueing and detailing.

LBH

Some more progress...

On Friday night I managed to get the 3 big minis coated in light grey

15042011100.jpg

And first thing this morning before heading out I got the first coat of white done

16042011102.jpg

And then when I got in this evening I got the second coat of white done

16042011106.jpg

Picked upsome more white paint that I ended up not needing, but given my short time scalke I'd rtather have paint I don't need than not have paint I do need.

Now it's blueing the big ships and the detailing all of them with boltgun, etc. The results are not fantastic thus far, but they are mine and I painted them.

Need to break out the hi res camera, the 5MP phone camera is not doing them much justice.

LBH

Back