Test scheme for my new MI

Ben2

Mongoose
I've painted up 3 PAMI in the basic colours I was thinking of using. I'm happy with the trousers, but I feel the armour is a bit dull. On the other hand the armour is fairly realistic, and these are not heavily stylised miniatures like space marines or eldar, and hence realistic colours may seem boring, but are the better choice.

These are minis part way through being painted, so the faces and the detail aren't done. The weapons are still all black as well.

MIfront.jpg

MIback.jpg

What do people think of the scheme. The grey armour is VMC German grey with a highlight of 50/50 german grey and field grey.

I think the scheme looks great. The shoulders and helmet are such large surfaces (and reflect more direct sunlight) I think a slightly lighter highlight would benefit them.

I like the scheme, the faces are not bad the way they are and the bases are good. The pants aint as bad as you think, they are better. The grey is a bit flat though, could do with a highlight if you dont mind me saying.

Well, I'd finish the rest of the torso (sans chest plate) with the brown, it looks a bit odd with just the arms and legs brown. Other than that you could try some very slight stripes on the grey, or perhaps a logo on one shoulder plate....

For not being finished yet, I think they're just dandy. :D

Keep it up and show us more when you can.

Well I'll try and finish them up tonight. I've done all the armour grey, which includes the chestplate, but I need to do some detailing on the armour in order to set it off a little.

The next question, do I go the whole hog and have a Wermacht themed MI force? Baltic crosses on marauders and CHAS might look alright, but I don't want to duplicate something already done.

Has anyone come across this before?

I'd avoid the crosses, IMHO it does not fit with starship troopers putting crosses on every model. Maybe the chas, and a small one painte on it. I dont think religion fits well with SST armies, I know it is widely accepted and that there are chaplain, but aside from that whether the crosses are religious or not, whatever they represent: they will start looking like something out of 40k. Save it for officers maybe or doing a company symbol, but I am not gone on the idea.

If you wanted to do that, I'd just make them smaller than any M.I. insignia might be. For all we know, they could have all trained at a newly established boot camp in northern Europe and wanted something to establish a new heraldry for the units graduating from it. :)

I was thinking of putting the cross on vehicles only ie CHAS and marauders, though there is plenty of room on exo suits. Basically to make them a little more like modern or WWII German tanks. I'll try and neaten up the infantry tonight.

Oh, and as for Wermacht-themed you'd have a case to argue for it due to Verhoven's hack job of handling the book canon. Just make sure to have a few SICON agent models painted up in black leather. They'll fit right in. :lol:

Ya having those Sicon agents filling in to look like german officers sounds like a pretty crafty idea.

Mage said:
Ya having those Sicon agents filling in to look like german officers sounds like a pretty crafty idea.

Well, it's a "short trip" for those figures, Mage. :wink:

I was considering using some Future wash I mixed up. It gave my khazad guard a nice look. I've posted one below.

Khazadguard.jpg

I still suck at taking pictures, the base looks much nicer in real life.

Do people use amiya thinned smoke as an alternative to future wash? Essentially its a black lining wash to use on armour, n'est pas?

I've been using Tamiya Smoke for Donkies years, I see no need to switch now.

Plus, with Tamiya - there is a whole range of 'clear' colours which are great for brightening and shading - better than inks in some cases.

Well, I did a black cross platoon awhile back, which I was very pleased with.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22092&highlight=black+cross

Back