telepatic powers

maco5555

Mongoose
I am having trouble understanding the new telepatic rules with the 2nd edition

it says something about power rating is that the p rating or something else

because some telepatic powers have power 14 by the side of them can anyone give me anymore information on this

maco5555 said:
I am having trouble understanding the new telepatic rules with the 2nd edition

it says something about power rating is that the p rating or something else

because some telepatic powers have power 14 by the side of them can anyone give me anymore information on this

k Telepaths work like follows.

You have your P-Rating determined by the Telepathy feat (2+1d4) and via the telepath clas they have the option at first level of one off boosting this P-rating. This is you telepathic strength, the more you have the easier you find it to use telepathic powers.

The Power rating of a power is not the P-rating but is linked to it. Essentially in order to use a telepathic power you compare your telepaths P-rating to the power rating of the power you wish to use. Lets use an example

Your telepath a P-5 say, wishes to use the Danger Sense power

Danger Sense
Power Required: 8
Range: Long
Telepathy Check: DC 20
Concentration: No
Multiple Subjects: No
The most powerful telepaths are continually tuned into the thought waves of those around them, even if they are not consciously aware of this at all times. Thoughts that revolve around harming the telepath filter through particularly quickly, allowing him to react to danger before any trap or ambush is sprung.

Danger sense is considered to be continually operational so long as the telepath has learned to use this ability. Whenever the telepath is threatened by any sentient being, the Games Master should make a secret Telepathy check to determine whether the telepath’s danger sense detects the threat. A character cannot normally take non-lethal damage to boost his Power to fuel this ability. This is considered a free action and may be used even when the telepath is surprised or caught flat-footed. The telepath will not be able to identify the source, nature or direction of the threat, only that he is in great personal danger. Danger sense will not function against completely automated threats such as drones or mechanical traps.

As we can see the power rating of this power, found under the Power Required heading is 8 is more than our telepaths P-rating, however this does not mean he cannot use the power, instead it works like this.

If the power required for a power is equal to or less than our P-rating then we can use it and make the necessary check without any penalties.

However if the power required is more than our P-rating we can still attempt to use it but in doing so we will take some non lethal damage from the strain of doing so. If we take 1 point of non lethal damage we can for this occasion only raise our "effective" P-rating by 1d4.

So our telepath takes 1pt of non lethal damage and rolls 1d4, we get a 3.. making our P-rating for this power use effectively 8 and we can now use the power by making the normal telepathy check (DC 20 for danger sense), the result of which will determine if the power works or not.

However, say we only rolled a 1, our effective P-rating would only be 6 and we'd still be short of 8 needed for danger sense.. at that point we could either decide to call it quits and after having taken our 1 pt of non lethal damage end our action and move on to the next person.. OR we could decide to take 1d4 more non lethal damage for each point of power required we are still short in order to get the amount necessary. So we could take another 2d4 non lethal damage in order to still get our P-rating to 8 for this occasion and then once again make the telepathy check DC 20 in order to see if danger sense works or not.

The only restriction on this is that you cannot push our telepaths P-rating by more than 6, so in our case we could never use any powers that had a power required of 12 or more because we simply cannot push our P-rating that far. time to see the corp about some of that experimental research :twisted:

I hope this helps

still having problems getting my head around this i must say the old system was alot more easier to use

ok if the chac was a p13 because he was a vorlon agent how would you work out the power level

that all i need to know is how do you work out a person power level

maco5555 said:
still having problems getting my head around this i must say the old system was alot more easier to use

ok if the chac was a p13 because he was a vorlon agent how would you work out the power level

that all i need to know is how do you work out a person power level

not quite sure where you are getting "power levels" from but the power level of your character is your P-rating, the power level of a power is the power required number.

At the end of the day in 2e the two important numbers are those your P-rating and the power required of the power itself as it is in comparing those two numbers that you determine whether a power will be just a simple Telepathy skill check roll OR some non lethal damage AND a telepathy skill check roll.

It is a very simple system still. think of it like a flow chart..

Step One: choose a power
Step Two: Compare Telepaths P-rating to Powers Power Required
If P rating is => power required number proceed to Step Four
If P rating is < power required number proceed to Step Three
Step Three: take 1 point of non lethal and increase P rating 1d4 for purposes of this power use only.
If P rating is still < than power required then either take 1d4 more non lethal per point necessary to reach the power required number or stop there ending your go.
Step Four: Make Telepathy skill check with a DC as noted in the relevant teleapthic power in order to determine if power succeeds or not.

ok then reality fabrication requires power 16 so if the chac was a p13 then he would have to roll to do this power

is that what you are trying to say

anyway think i stick to the old system thanks for the help anyway

maco5555 said:
ok then reality fabrication requires power 16 so if the chac was a p13 then he would have to roll to do this power

is that what you are trying to say

anyway think i stick to the old system thanks for the help anyway

Yup pretty much though you would have to take some non lethal damage in order to use it as its p[ower required is more than your teeps P-13 rating.

I shouldnt let it overwhelm you it really is a simple system

After reading this I can't wait until I get the the book myself. Is the rest of the book the same?
I always thought that the old telepathy rules missed something, but now it seems a telepath can push himself and if he's powerfull enough, lesser abilities doesn't strain him.

Tegman said:
After reading this I can't wait until I get the the book myself. Is the rest of the book the same?

the book has a lot of improvements throughout upon the 1st edition yes :)

You have your P-Rating determined by the Telepathy feat (2+1d4) and via the telepath class they have the option at first level of one off boosting this P-rating.

Telepathy feat? You need a feat now.
And how do you boost it at first telepath class level ?

Barbara said:
Telepathy feat? You need a feat now.
And how do you boost it at first telepath class level ?

Don't want to discuss the full ins and outs of it, but a 1st level teep can trade a particular feat for a 6 P-Level boost only at 1st level.

It's mentioned in the Class info in 2E.

To start off as a P12, you'd need to roll 8 on those 2d4, and then trade that 1st level feat for a 6 P-Level boost. At least for humans anyway.

LBH

You have your P-Rating determined by the Telepathy feat (2+1d4) and via the telepath clas they have the option at first level of one off boosting this P-rating.

To start off as a P12, you'd need to roll 8 on those 2d4, and then trade that 1st level feat for a 6 P-Level boost. At least for humans anyway.

So ,is it 2+1d4 or 2d4. (8+6 is 14,not 12) Sorry, I'm niggling, just finished work. Would the feat be the free one that 1st level Teeps got if they were P1 or 2's?

Oh well, when it turns up in Australia and then Western Australia, I'll be able to find out.

Barbara said:
So ,is it 2+1d4 or 2d4. (8+6 is 14,not 12) Sorry, I'm niggling, just finished work. Would the feat be the free one that 1st level Teeps got if they were P1 or 2's?

Oh well, when it turns up in Australia and then Western Australia, I'll be able to find out.

The Telepathy feat is one all Telepaths recieve free with thier first level of the class.

Barbara said:

Barbara, your P-rating is rolled as 2d4-2, so results range from 0-6. A P0 takes the latent telepath feat instead. Unless they take the 6 level boost option, which is the only way to go higher than P6.

So you can be anywhere from 0-12 as a human, barring any future messing by Vorlons :lol:

LBH

lastbesthope said:
So you can be anywhere from 0-12 as a human, barring any future messing by Vorlons :lol:

LBH
Have just read the "No Surrender, No Retreat" sourcebook over Easter. I quite like the idea of doing a Vorlon agent.

Cheers

James

Today my boss at the FLGS where I work gave me the new 2nd ed rulebook as a late birthday present, so I've spent a very very quiet day reading through it. At first I couldn't get my head around the new telepathic system but I guess that its just as good though it does seem that the Minbari Telepath/Vorlon Agent in my play group has just got a damn site more powerful with the release of this book.

Back